•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bent Valves, possible cracked Piston heads

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Bent Valves, possible cracked Piston heads

So as i put in my introduction I am here to get some suggestions and cost Ideas for replacing my engine in my 2006 Aveo LS sedan. The Timing belt Snapped and now the engine won't hold compression. Here are the "viable" options I have come up with so far.
      Option 1:
      • Replace the Cylinder Head with a refurbished one from Headers Only
      • Price $500
      • Counter-indications: pistons and arms may be damaged and replacing the Cylinder Head may not actually fix it.
      • Question: What are the chances that the pistons and arms are okay or is it worth taking the head off to see.

Option 2:
      • Order a whole engine from here: 2007 Used Chevy AVEO Engine Assembly Genuine OEM LOW MILEAGE Guaranteed Part.
      • Price: 877.75 (above) to $1500 (car-parts.com)
      • Counter-Indications: price to life ratio, $1500 is to much but the cheaper ones are; not inspected, High Mileage, blah blah paranoid stuff.
      • Question: Does any one know where I could get a quality, inspected engine (no matter what i will be putting on a new Timing belt and water pump) for under $850?

Option 3 (the Crazy option, Mission Code Name: pissed off wife)
      • Swap something crazy in (2.0 Turbo, 2.4 NA, etc)
      • Price: No Clue
      • Counter-Indications: Possible Angry Wife after Bills come in. Also tuning an A/T just seems kinda piontless.
      • Question: Is it possible to swap in some engine with more power than the 1.6 for under $1500, also if i get a refurbed 1.6 can i squeeze a few more HP out of it (around 150-200) for under $1500 including the price of the engine.

All Options are 100% DIY.
      What ever sounds like the best option will be posted back on here complete with video and pictures in a how to.
      Thanks for reading,

Last edited by Everoblivion2005; 01-07-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks
      Option one doesn't make sense. What is changing the headers gonna do for you? Personally I'd swap out engine and trans from a cobalt ss. But my car uses ecotec already

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      Option one doesn't make sense. What is changing the headers gonna do for you? Personally I'd swap out engine and trans from a cobalt ss. But my car uses ecotec already
      I think he means replace the cylinder head.

Thanks
      just edited the OP, yes I meant Refurbished Cylinder Head with new Cams and New Valves/ Valve seals.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      well, the only way to Verify the Health of the Connecting Rods is by draining the oil, and removing the Oil Pan. you can probably put a borescope down the Spark Plug Holes to check the Piston Crowns.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I would start with pulling the head. IF the broken timing belt hurt the pistons at all, you will see it in the cylinder with the head off.. If you are doing the work yourself, pulling the head is free.

AND if you are capable, you can replace, and lap the new valves yourself (provided the head is ok which you will know when you pull it). This would cost you about $200-300 depending on how many valves you need.

the ecotec Cobalt stuff is a tough fit, but the 1.4t, and 1.8 in the cruze and sonic fit..

Thanks
      Well I'm actually thinking of option 4 now. Ebay has a Block rebuild kit that I could get if the pistons are shot that comes with all the bearings, gaskets, pistons, and piston rods. There is a machine shop nearby that'll refurbish the cylinder head with new valves and valve seals for around $300. While they are doing that I figure I'll boil the block, hone out the cylinders and rebuild the block. The whole custom engine thing would be cool but I really want save money with this car until they either release the ZS1 (SS) Sonic or they build a ZL1 Camaro on the Alpha Chassis.
      One thing I'm pulling my hair out and feeling really stupid about is getting the dang Cam Sprockets out. Every other OHC car I've worked on has had flats on the cam to put a wrench and counter rotate against the sprocket bolt.... I see no such flats on my cams...

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I kinda got lucky, i guess, but I went to a local salvage yard looking for a timing belt inner cover. They said they had an '07 but wouldn't tear the engine down to sell me that piece. I asked "how much for the motor". He said he'd sell me the motor & tranny both for $900.00!!! I said "will it crank?". It did & I bought it, bolted it in & just reached 1000 miles on it with no error codes. The point is, if you're not in a hurry, (I also have a jeep) an engine can be found. You will have to get it QUICK! Because of the TB issue, they go fast! I actually had to wait three days for the insurance company to total the car before he could sell me the parts! IMHO, it would be faster & easier than a block rebuild, and comparibly priced. My '05 Aveo just lost over 133,000 miles & costed me about $1300.00 Including all new fluids & filters.

"One thing I'm pulling my hair out and feeling really stupid about is getting the dang Cam Sprockets out. Every other OHC car I've worked on has had flats on the cam to put a wrench and counter rotate against the sprocket bolt.... I see no such flats on my cams..."

I used an "L" shaped allen wrench inserted into the inner TB cover bolt heads to prevent the sprockets from rotating when I unbolted them. I knew I wouldn't be able to get them out, or that cover off with the sprockets in place. I'm sure it would also work for the reinstallation, but because I "lucked-up" on that motor & tranny, I never put those back in.
      Last edited by Scanman; 01-11-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      United States is a large country. I'm not sure where you are, or if you're willing to drive, but I just saw this on the forum here. You might want to check it out.

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f98/2...vy-aveo-14172/

Thanks
      So time to reboot this thread. I got a re-manufacture complete cylinder head and started the rebuild. one problem I ran into though was that on the EGR side of the head there's a hole that looks like it is for a press fit coolant tube or something to the left of the EGR. It's been over a year since I took it apart and I cant find ANYTHING that looks like it goes there. I was sure to grab the right year cylinder head but was there any difference in the coolant routing between heads that year? I can post a pic if necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast