•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant overheat...top hose....trouble......for 2006 models and up?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Coolant overheat...top hose....trouble......for 2006 models and up?

It has been a long time since I posted anything in here..but my Aveo blew up yesterday as I got to work,of course! A huge cloud of smoke....turns out to be steam of course. Luckily I only had to drive 40 feet or I could have seized up the engine!

Well after the loud disappeared, I too a look and knew it was coolant, l over the engine, and I had it powerflushed at Chevy less than 1year ago!!! Did this cause it? I dont know. BUT.. I saw the thermostat behind he short top hose, and it was ripped away from the engine. Well I had it towed to my mechanic,and this the part that I think maybe others should know about. The part they replaced WAS a plastic connection to the engine, where the thermostat was located and the hose was connected to the engine. Ii is now a metal connection, not plastic. I m going to try and put a picture on this posting, to show the new part. They didn't replace the waterpump or even the hose, and its 7 years old! I called them an asked what the problem was, if more than that hose ,and they said it was done. $350! 110 of tat was towing. From the each to inland. They told me that if a car comp gets a lot of complaints, on a certain part, they upgrade it. From like cheap plastic, to metal! So... think it is aluminum now. So maybe 2006 engines and earlier,or later,you should take a look at your upper hose and see if you have any cracks starting,and get the metal replacement, before it blows!. Got another post to do to.
      I got a pic. to stick!

Attached Images Attached Images  

I like my Aveo
      Thanks
      That happened on my 2004 Aveo. The plastic part expoded and sent coolant all over the engine. I want to Auto Zone and they only had the aluminum one (which I was happy about). I put that in and have had no more problems.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi FlaAveo5,

I’m sorry to hear of this problem that you experienced with your vehicle. Please let me know if you would like for us to take a further look into this concern for you, or document your concern within our database. Please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership if we can be of any assistance. We look forward to hear from you!

Kristen A.
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      Yeah, the plastic thermostat housing is a common failure item on the first generation Aveos. Sorry to hear it cost you so much.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Chevy Customer Service person. Sure would be great to get a refund for the repair of a design flaw from Chevy. Can I expect a check? What good would telling you about my car and me, do for me? I pull up to THE most expensive condominium towers in Ft.Laud, that I work in, in and my car and it literally 'exploded' at the guard gate! Embarrassing the hell out of me. As Rolls Royces and Lambos. are passing me by. My cheap little Aveo is 'exploding', and then I have to have it towed from the beach to my mech. 15 miles away. An hour wait at these condo towers just for that, then having to pay to have the coolant pressure sprayed cleaned off their brick pavers, or I couldn't work there anymore! (That was a fun extra the following week I was told I had to do,. or else). Then my mech. tells me that this plastic part was defective from Chevy. and after enough peoples cars 'exploded' like mine, they redesign it out of metal, DUH! metal for a hot coolant part, who would have thought of that?? Any idiot would know to make the coolant system out of metal. So a part that cost like $25? Cost me a small fortune to install and have my car towed, I had little choice. I couldn't take it home and figure out what happened, then fix it for the cost of the part and coolant. Plus towing. But finding out this was a design 'flaw' sucks. You just confirmed what my mechanic told me. I had my coolant system powerflushed at my local Chevy dealer just months before, so that money was wasted. Threw out $225 away on that at Chevy. They never mentioned that this plastic part will probably burst one day. And maybe recommend I replace it? No. they dont do that. Could have saved a lot of money. And not wasted all that money on a powerflush. I had my automatic trans. powerflushed their to, ...anything plastic in there that is 'flawed' and is going to blow on me, maybe YOU could give me a tip and tell me if there is a part that is ready to go in it??? So I can get a part replaced before I end up with a broken transmission?? I threw out $250 on that transmission powerflush at Chevy. Is that going to be a waste? Since you know 'flawed' parts....any part in there I could/should replace, to save myself trouble sometime soon? Trying to keep a 2006 car, with ONLY 28K miles on it, it shouldn't be 'exploding' from a cheap plastic part, that cost hundreds to replace!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Well I commend you on that your statement. Well put. I think they should recall the whole bunch. They should replace all the plastic pulleys on the Tensioner and Idler pulleys as well so you dont have a engine failure in the middle of the freeway. So guess they would say sorry about your death man but would not fly with the family that is left behind. Well good luck on your plee.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Should almost have a sticky up at the top of the forum with the items owner's MUST correct before it's too late. The plastic thermostat and timing belt items are top of the list for sure.

Then common items that cost a bundle like the rear axle bushings (replace with VW bushings vs new axle). Oil in the spark plugs, etc etc.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      Should almost have a sticky up at the top of the forum with the items owner's MUST correct before it's too late. The plastic thermostat and timing belt items are top of the list for sure.

Then common items that cost a bundle like the rear axle bushings (replace with VW bushings vs new axle). Oil in the spark plugs, etc etc.
      yeah what is up with the oil in the spark plugs how do you get rid of the that. I am guessing silicone huh.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 05Aveo View Post
      yeah what is up with the oil in the spark plugs how do you get rid of the that. I am guessing silicone huh.
      Pretty sure that's a valve cover gasket. Had it on my '05. Pretty common on the 1st gens.

Thanks
      so need to put some RTV around that before I set it in place then. Well that is cool then. Since you had a 05 what other things went out on it that I need to replace before I give it to my wife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast