•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 aveo engine into a 2007 aveo car?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Had the filter and A/T fluid change a few days ago, damn the fluid was black and a significant amount of metal particles. It had the consistency sludge. My mechanic said since it hasn't had any issues that it might be okay or blow up at any time (!!??). My question is would I be better off getting a transmission from a junkyard or a rebuilt one? I don't think any shops actually rebuild the damn things, they just swap yours for one they have on the shelf. Any input would be appreciated. Oh, and the valve cover gasket blew and sprayed the front of the engine with oil destroying the coil pack (so I was told).... sweet.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      If my motor blows I'd swap a cobalt motor into it.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cheap is better View Post
      Had the filter and A/T fluid change a few days ago, damn the fluid was black and a significant amount of metal particles. It had the consistency sludge. My mechanic said since it hasn't had any issues that it might be okay or blow up at any time (!!??). My question is would I be better off getting a transmission from a junkyard or a rebuilt one? I don't think any shops actually rebuild the damn things, they just swap yours for one they have on the shelf. Any input would be appreciated. Oh, and the valve cover gasket blew and sprayed the front of the engine with oil destroying the coil pack (so I was told).... sweet.
      I'm assuming (and certainly hope) the mechanic didn't do a power tranny flush. If so, I recommend that you drain 2 quarts via the plug, and back in through the dip tube. Do this a few weeks, until the fluid looks good. That will at least give you a chance to extend the life of this tranny for as long as possible. Maybe the damage has already been done and it's too late, but a few quarts of fluid is not a big expense, and it only takes a few minutes to do one of these fluid swaps. It's a small investment with potentially a large gain.
      If it does come to replacing the tranny, a rebuilt unit with a warranty would give you some security, at least for the duration of the warranty. If you pull one from a yard, that of course is a roll of the dice - did the PO have reasonable driving habits, and also maintain the tranny fluid?
      A valve cover gasket "blowing" so bad that it would spray oil is unusual - did he mention if the gasket actually broke apart?

Thanks
      Thank you for the reply, yea my mechanic said blew broke on the passenger's side near the front of the engine. The oil leak has been there longer than I thought, when the car was on the lift I could see just how bad the damage was. The oil trail went all the way back to transmission (motor mount) mount destroying the rubber on the mount. So after the valve cover gasket I'll have to hit the engine with degreaser and clean it up. I'll have to replace the mount later on. On top of the motor the oil leaked from the drive side of the valve cover. I never did locate just where it was leaking from near the coil pack. I'll wait till the next weekend to replace the tranny fluid. I'm tempted to replace the fluid, drive around a bit and keep changing the fluid till I have gotten rid of the old fluid. The A/T fluid does not smell burnt if that means anything, again, thanks for the reply.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
      If my motor blows I'd swap a cobalt motor into it.
      I have looked all over the place, hell I even call the chevy service dept (who seemed to be annoyed with my questions) and I can't find any information on a cobalt engine swap, or any engine swap with a 2007 chevy aveo. I have no idea where to find this information.

Thanks
      Ok i have the very same question as the heading here. I have an ‘07 that im putting a ‘10 engine into. Already have the engine out and new ready to drop in. I need to know what the best route to go to make this work would be. Should i get the harness and central junction box from ‘10 donor car and install or is there a better way about it? Ive googled till i have a headache and still dont have any real answers.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Swapping a 2010 Aveo engine into a 2007 Aveo body is feasible, as both model years likely share similar platforms. However, it's essential to ensure compatibility by checking for any potential differences in engine specifications and electronic systems. Compare engine codes, transmissions, and other relevant components. Engine rebuilding is a viable option if the current engine's issues are repairable and if you prefer retaining the original unit. Consider factors like cost, availability of compatible engines, and your long-term plans for the vehicle before deciding between an engine swap or a rebuild. Consulting with a qualified mechanic can provide valuable insights tailored to your specific situation.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by johanbrandon View Post
      Swapping a 2010 Aveo engine into a 2007 Aveo body is feasible, as both model years likely share similar platforms. However, it's essential to ensure compatibility by checking for any potential differences in engine specifications and electronic systems. Compare engine codes, transmissions, and other relevant components. Engine rebuilding is a viable option if the current engine's issues are repairable and if you prefer retaining the original unit. Consider factors like cost, availability of compatible engines, and your long-term plans for the vehicle before deciding between an engine swap or a rebuild. Consulting with a qualified mechanic can provide valuable insights tailored to your specific situation.
      I appreciate your suggestions. I am a small shop owner and am a qualified mechanic. I have considered all viable options as well as costs of each and time to do each. The most cost efficient route is a swap. And is also the best route to go in regards to my customer and his abilities financially. What i am in need of is someone with knowledge/experience specifically in this situation to share their knowledge with me. I already know the engine will fit. And i already know the transmission will bolt to it. There arent a huge amount of difference in the two engines. But there are definitely differences. I believe taking the whole engine bay harness and ecm from the donor car is the route to take, but i would like someone with knowledge/experience specifically in this scenario to weigh in.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Certainly, it's possible to swap a 2010 Aveo engine into a 2007 Aveo body, given that they're of the same generation with compatible configurations. However, factors like wiring, sensors, and mounting points must align. Evaluate costs and feasibility. Alternatively, rebuilding the current engine could be a viable option, preserving the original setup. Compare the expenses, considering the condition of the 2010 engine and potential compatibility issues. Consulting with a mechanic for a thorough assessment and cost analysis is advisable to make an informed decision based on your budget and long-term goals for the vehicle.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by johanbrandon View Post
      Certainly, it's possible to swap a 2010 Aveo engine into a 2007 Aveo body, given that they're of the same generation with compatible configurations. However, factors like wiring, sensors, and mounting points must align. Evaluate costs and feasibility. Alternatively, rebuilding the current engine could be a viable option, preserving the original setup. Compare the expenses, considering the condition of the 2010 engine and potential compatibility issues. Consulting with a mechanic for a thorough assessment and cost analysis is advisable to make an informed decision based on your budget and long-term goals for the vehicle.
      Are you a real person? This reads like a ChatGPT reply, not something written by a knowledgable person. Just askin'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12