•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 aveo engine into a 2007 aveo car?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2010 aveo engine into a 2007 aveo car?

I have floated around this web site for months now and I find it to be informative and helpful with maintainin my 2007 avveo, so bare with the new guy..
      I have 2007 ave who's engine life might becoming to an end. Can I swap a 2010 aveo engine into 2007 body? Or is it better to have the engine rebuilt? Thanks.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cheap is better View Post
      I have floated around this web site for months now and I find it to be informative and helpful with maintainin my 2007 avveo, so bare with the new guy..
      I have 2007 ave who's engine life might becoming to an end. Can I swap a 2010 aveo engine into 2007 body? Or is it better to have the engine rebuilt? Thanks.
      is your Aveo a Hatchback or a Sedan? because with the Sedan, the Ecotec engine's wiring will be a lot simpler to take care of because of it being already set up for the GMLAN CAN Bus.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I wouldn't rebuild an E-tech. Swap the ecotec and you ll be better off in the long run

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      So what makes you think the engine is on the way out? If you're the original owner and have done reasonably timely oil changes, it would be an unusual thing to have a dying engine. Or perhaps the timing belt broke, or you had some other major problem? How about a compression and/or leak down test - have you done one of those yet?

Thanks
      Thank for the reply, my car is the aveo5 hatchback.

Thanks
      Trying to look at my options, my vehicle will be inspected by a reputable mechanic Wednesday, its sputtering, no power and using lots of fuel, timing belt was change about 80,000 miles ago along with a tuneup ect. I'm approaching 190,000 real quick. It's been well maintained, regular oil changes, new rotors. It has had nothing major go wrong and has been one tough little car. The only thing not service regularly (excluding topping off the fluid) no filter/oil change in the transmission. I'm to cheap to put $15,000 on a new car when I could shell out $2000 or $3000 short term, I'm just cheap.
      Last edited by cheap is better; 06-30-2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: I kant speal

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Although the mileage is on the high side, with regular oil changes there is no reason to believe there is anything internally wrong with the engine. But if you want some reassurance about that, have your mechanic do a compression test. Spark plugs is the first suspect for misfire, followed by wires, particularly if the common valve cover gasket leak has created an oil bath for the plug end of the wires. But there are a number of other possible misfire culprits as well.

You do however need another timing belt, and the DIYers here normally change the 2 pulleys and water pump at the same time. Although this may add quite a bit if you're paying shop rates, it's highly recommended and advisable to change those parts.

You should get new fluid into the tranny asap. Do not power flush - just pull the drain plug and replace the 2 or so quarts via the dip tube. Try to get that done at least 2 times in the very near future. Having never changed the fluid, 3 or 4 swaps would be better than just the typical 2.

Thanks
      Thanks for the input, what kind of problems could occur because it's a hatchback?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      is your Aveo a Hatchback or a Sedan? because with the Sedan, the Ecotec engine's wiring will be a lot simpler to take care of because of it being already set up for the GMLAN CAN Bus.
      it's a hatch back, would that create a problem for this kind of swap?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Although the mileage is on the high side, with regular oil changes there is no reason to believe there is anything internally wrong with the engine. But if you want some reassurance about that, have your mechanic do a compression test. Spark plugs is the first suspect for misfire, followed by wires, particularly if the common valve cover gasket leak has created an oil bath for the plug end of the wires. But there are a number of other possible misfire culprits as well.

You do however need another timing belt, and the DIYers here normally change the 2 pulleys and water pump at the same time. Although this may add quite a bit if you're paying shop rates, it's highly recommended and advisable to change those parts.

You should get new fluid into the tranny asap. Do not power flush - just pull the drain plug and replace the 2 or so quarts via the dip tube. Try to get that done at least 2 times in the very near future. Having never changed the fluid, 3 or 4 swaps would be better than just the typical 2.
      Thank you, you're right about the tranny, I'll handle that tomorrow in the AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast