•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soliciting advice...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

soliciting advice...

im on my 2nd aveo. The first aveo had about 75k miles when I replaced the timing belt. That replacement belt only lasted 50k miles before it failed and chewed up the engine. I sold it as it was. Now I have an 09 aveo and it has 70k miles right now. it's time to replace the belt and im considering two things, however i dont have enough info about my second option. here they are: (1.) do it myself, save money and know that it gets done right even though it will take me considerably longer to do the job than a professional. (2.) give it to a pro. whom I can trust. yet I wonder if there is any shops other than a dealer that can do the job in such a way as to maintain the powertrain warranty? please tell me what your experiance was in replaceing your timing belt regardless of how you did it....
      respectfully,
      ryan

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if you have a 09 aveo, then you have another 30k miles to figure it out, the 09+ has a 100k service interval on the timing belt.

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      my aveo has over 80k miles and not only have I not change but will not replace the timing belt. I have had lots 1.6 engines with over 150k miles and the belt was never changed most of I sold or gave to family and they drove the cars for years until they more work then it was worth but the engine was still running good. My point why fix if not broken??

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJoe View Post
      my aveo has over 80k miles and not only have I not change but will not replace the timing belt. I have had lots 1.6 engines with over 150k miles and the belt was never changed most of I sold or gave to family and they drove the cars for years until they more work then it was worth but the engine was still running good. My point why fix if not broken??
      because if it breaks it will cost a lot more than just replacing a timing belt?
      it's one of those things that is worth fixing before it breaks.

i'd say do it yourself if you are able to.

Thanks

Not to be a smart Alec, but fixing what is not broken is called Maintenance. Replacing a timing belt is not nearly as pricey as rebuilding the top of the engine when a belt breaks. " An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!" but thanks for sharing your experience of 150K+ miles with no problems. It's at least reassuring. Although naive when considering critical parts like a timing belt. the approach embraced by phrases like "if it aint broke don’t fix it" is efficient and effective for non-critical parts that don’t effect other critical parts when they fail, but not a critical internal engine component. This is where maintenance pays off. You said yall drove the cars till they were more work than they are worth to repair right? well, my opinion is that this is the zone of a vehicles life where you get the most bang for your buck. you see, I buy these Aveo's because they are inexpensive and almost like a disposable car. I pay cash for them, slightly used (less than 10k miles ) for less than $10k. At that point I drive them for as long as possable. the longer I keep it running in good order the more value I get from it. Once it no longer operates I sell it for scrap and parts and find another one to buy. it is the least expensive way to operate a vehicle according to the NFCU and my wallet. LOL anyway, what Im getting at is if I can get another 80k-100k miles for a $400 maintenance job it is a good value!
      Respectfully,
      ryan
      Respectfully,
      Ryan

Thanks
      just saying. How many people on this forum has replaced there belt just to have them break soon after? I gave my son a Suzuki Swift with 159k he drove it for 3 more years trashed it only after the trans broke and it had a il4. beat on your car it will break down. Also from my point if the engine goes on my car I'll stick a 2.0 in it.

Thanks
      I had about 154000 miles on my 98 ex before I changed it. When I got the belt off, it actually didn't look bad at all..no cracks in it, but I still felt good about replacing it.

Thanks
      Yes, iv had an experience just like that too .... I hope mine last that long. My only concern is that it's a gamble ya know.... mabey I'll roll the dice lol

Thanks
      The aveo is an interference motor, don't slack with maintaining the timing belt
      Especially when they seem to wear faster then other cars. As for changing it yourself.. if you like working on cars, do it! I just changed mine and it was a fun learning experience. Took quite a while but as long as you read the guides on this forum and have the proper tools handy it is fairly 'simple'. (Quotes cause it is time intensive )

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I have had lots 1.6 engines with over 150k miles
      unless every one of those engines was an etecII, that experience you have is gonna bite you in the ass.

its all about service interval.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast