•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey need some advice on an Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Hey need some advice on an Aveo

Hey everyone so im in the market for a new Aveo and just needed some help.. Bsically the reason im getting the car is for a commuter for work and back so i can save on gas.. right now i drive a 4.3 L van and its is killing me on gas.. im looking at getting the base aveo5 in manuel.. ive been quoted for 10700 dollars for a brand new 2011 Aveo5 hatchback and that includes taxes title and everything.. u guys think thats a good deal.. also does anyone think im making the wrong move by getting an Aveo and should consider something else.. once again this car is just for work so i dont care about to special features or anything like that im just looking for a good mpg car that is reliable.. tks in advance

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      Well, as far as gas mileage go, i have never been impressed. Some people have gotten nice results but as for me a full tank of gas never lasted more then 350 kms (around 215-220 miles) no matter how much i babied it or stomped on the gas. And that was when i still had the 1.6L. Keep in mind i have the 1st gen, the new gen has a reworked ecotec engine with better technology, so gas mileage should be better.

As far as reliability goes, i've been pleasantly satisfied, nothing major really happened and everything was covered under warranty, a strong reliable car for the price.

If you want a cheap on gas car you should look at a Toyota Yaris, the gas mileage of those is incredible, but its also almost 5 grand more for the base model then an Aveo base model. Personally i prefer the styling of the Aveo over the Yaris.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      i have a first gen also and i have had great luck with reliability and gas mileage, im no expert but it think its a pretty good deal

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      that is a good deal for brand new, a few people had stated better, but it REALLY regionally based for best deals (but hey if your willing to travel for saving $).

Like Nemasys was eluding to, is it the best decision you can make? will the difference in mpg outway the almost $11k in cost of the car versus continuing to drive the van? will the car start EVERY time you get in it?

my answers: i cant say if its the best decision, i like mine, i get @ 27 average mpg. and the "slowness" of the car keeps my below 100mph so i don't lose my license. if i baby drive, (eco so no one get upset) then i can get 33-34mpg without really trying.
      My aveo is one of the most reliable cars ive owned, 30k miles, and only broke down twice. one for the fuel pump, once for the o2. i've bought more expensive cars that were much less reliable. include audi and vw (i am avid vw owner).

As nemasys also said the "yaris" is better if mpg is all you ae going for, but again, weigh the cost of the improvement of mpg to the cost of the car. I would almost say is mpg is your ultimate goal for saving money, then a metro or something would suit you well. or even a 98-99 vw tdi.. but i assume you want to buy new?

i would totally buy my aveo again. I'm not sure i answer your questions. But its very open ended..

Thanks
      I have alwya thought to myself that you will eventually save money but it wont be for awhile. Considering you now have another monthly car payment, full coverage insurance, pricier plates and tags and you just took a huge chunk of change out of your pocket once you try to sell it. For me I would try to buy something used taht gets good MPG that you can pay off alot sooner than a new car, unless you are buying and paying the entire balance at closing. Just my 0.02!!!
      "Man who stand on toilet is high on pot""

Thanks
      If you're looking to actually save money, a new car is almost never the way to go. A used Aveo can be had for a few thousand dollars. The ROI will be MUCH quicker with a used car.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      My last tank (2004 Aveo) netted me 517 km for 37L of gas which is 32.5 US MPG without too much trying. I too had the 4.3 but mine was in a S10 and I don't miss the crappy mileage I was getting.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      HEY tks for the input everyone.. basically im looking the cheapest possible fuel saving car.. the reason i decided to go new is so i have a decent warranty to back me up and i know the car hasnt been beat on.. i dont wanna buy used and start having issues a week down the line.. not to say there are no good used cars out there you just never know.

Thanks
      The Aveo is not the most amazing car for fuel savings but it's not bad either. I have gotten close to 600KM on ~39L but I would say on average it's probably closer to 550KM. During the winter it can easily drop below 500KM per tank. When I first got the car (it was already 4 years old), I had a really hard time even getting 400KM out of a tank.

Basically if you try hypermiling and you really keep a constant speed most of the time and on the highway you keep a pretty low speed (under 100kph), you should easily get 35mpg and even more. Unless of course you do more city driving than highway, in which case you might have a hard time breaching the 30mpg mark. I have found the Aveo to be pretty bad on gas in city driving, but i'm pretty sure the same can be said about most cars.

If you're looking strictly for the best mileage, you may want to consider a VW TDI. I don't think you'll find a new one for $10-11k though. :P

For *that price point*, the Aveo is a solid choice. My sister has a new Accent hatch and my car feels peppier, seems to have more low end pull and gets better mileage. My Aveo is also much roomier. Plenty of leg and head room for people front and back, and I have been able to move quite a bit of cargo considering its relatively small size.
      Last edited by byron84; 04-08-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks
      Oh yeah those tdi's are awesome on gas or diesel I should say. I was going to get one a while back instead of my aveo but it ended up having a salvage title and it was going to be my commuter car so I opted for something without such a "checkered" past but they are definetly great on MPG.

"Man who stand on toilet is high on pot""

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast