•  

Thread: Question On Replacing Aveo Horn w/ Aftermarket Horns

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Question Question On Replacing Aveo Horn w/ Aftermarket Horns

I have a 2007 Aveo5 SVM. The horn needs to be replaced. I want something a little louder and found these horns:

Loud 12V Two Air Horn Snail Set Dual Twin Tone For Cars Bikes Vans Boats 120db - US$12.84

My Aveo has a two wire connector that plugs into the single horn. I need a relay or something to plug into that would split the power to both horns. I found this relay on the same web site that looks like it would do the job, though one review said that the wiring pattern on the relay was reversed:

4 Pin 12V 30A Relay For Car Automotive Boat Van Motorbike Lights Horns - US$2.00

I think I would also need some wire connectors with spades to hook everything together.

Has anyone done this - replace the single horn with dual horns - and how exactly did you do it? Please include URLs for the parts needed.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. - I just came across this single replacement horn which looks like it might work well - just plug it in in place of the stock horn:

http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-Grille-.../dp/B00Y5EZ4R6

Any thoughts on this horn?

Last edited by Steve_Hewlett; 03-27-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Go with the dual horns. Yeah the aveo is a wimpy horn. Take your old horn cut off the connector and wire the connector to both horns. The existing wiring should be sufficient to run the horn and besides there is a relay already.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      The existing connector just has two spade connections and each of the dual horns has two spade connections. That is why I think I need a relay with four spade connections and I would have to make up some jump wire pieces with female spade connectors on each end to tie it together. I also think that the dual horns might draw more than 10 amps so I would have to run the power connection from the relay straight to the battery (my Aveo has a 10 amp fuse for the horn).

I asked someone selling the Sickspeed single horn on Ebay how many amps it draws and they said they didn't know and couldn't find out. I suspect it might draw more than 10 amps and don't want to find out the hard way by frying the stock wiring and relay.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if it draws more than 10A you will just need to replace a fuse. i doubt it will damage the built in relay. you dont press your horn for more than a second or two if you use it as you should.
      Chevrolet Aveo 1.6 auto LS Sedan 2009 - Right hand side drivers - SOUTH AFRICA...

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      If the new horns have four spade connectors, does that mean two grounds and two hots? So like I said cut the connector off and wire it the new horns.

So it would be plus going to both horns and negative going to both horns. So think of it as two Y(s) in parallel. DavidB is right about the wiring and the relay

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....