•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about replacing Engine... (2005 Aveo)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question about replacing Engine... (2005 Aveo)

So my roomate had her timing belt go out on her over the Christmas break, the engine is pretty much beyond repair and replacing it is the smarter option (The engine had around 115k miles on it). I've been looking around and most engines I've located near me for a 2005 Aveo are running between $1300-$1800 ... all for engines that are very high mileage.

But I did find an engine on E-Bay that is from a 2007 Aveo for a far more reasonable price... but my question is: Will the engine from a 2007 Aveo fit and run properly in a 2005 Aveo? I did a little bit of research and saw that they switched up the front facia and did some other little things to the car and that the engine may have been replaced with a EcoTec engine... so if I pull the engine with the ECU from the 2007, would I have any problems with installing it into the '05?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

** EDIT ** Looking at the picture of the engine that's for sale on E-Bay, its an E-Tec II ... which seems right, right?

Last edited by FiXXXerX; 12-29-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      so i own a 05 and 07 the bodies are different but both engines are ecotec 1.6 sohc engines i cant find any difference in 2009 or 10 they improved the 1.6 with variable timing.but i think u should be fine

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      corrrection sohc actually they have dohc (dual overhead cams)but every thing else looks the same motor mount locales.location of plugs for computer components.the 07 does say e-tec ll on the engine cover

Thanks
      Cool.

I was looking in Daox's thread and it appears that I may need to swap over a few parts from the older engine (Throttle Body, Flywheel from the Automatic) ... do we know if I should leave the heads alone or if there is anything tricky when swapping everything over? Also, will the starter, power steering pump and alternator be compatible? As the engine I'll be purchasing doesn't come with any of those.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      It may be cheaper to fix what you have now, you can get a nice head on ebay for cheap, what damage is there?

Why did she not change the belt in the first place though? (lack of knowledge?, just wondering)

Thanks
      I doubt that fixing it is going to be a viable option due to overall cost. The family mechanic looked at it and let us know that the Pulley that the timing belt attaches to came off completely bending/destroying the valves and scoring and breaking the pistons. He had quoted us $3000 to fix it, which involved getting a new engine.

Personally $3000 is way, WAY to much to put into her car and honestly, is a bit pricey to purchase and install an engine to begin with. I haven't owned a Chevy in around 12 years at this point but back in the day I had a collection of 3 ThirdGen F-Body's and a bevy of other GM vehicles... I learned most of what I know about cars on those vehicles... but now a days I drive a MkV GTI and am a huge part of the Euro scene, so I don't really have a ton of connections anymore. That being said, my buddy who is also a Mercedes Master Tech and authorized Renntech dealer offered to install a new engine for $600, so I went and found an engine which is $620 with free shipping and has 61k miles on it. All we need to do is get the car up here.... (Most likely going to cost $250 or so), so with everything (Labor, Engine and Tow/Pickup) we're at $1470 for an engine that has half the miles on it as her original. Which is a SIGNIFICANT decrease in price over the $3000 she was originally quoted. With all that being said, I haven't looked at the car as its over 2 1/2 hours away, so I'm basing all of this off of the info that was provided to us by her family's 'trusted' mechanic. But the damage and diagnosis that was provided matches verbatim most of the other cases I've seen around the 'net regarding the timing belt slipping on this particular motor.

Why didn't she change the belt? Who knows... she's been a roommate for 6months and the GF of my best-friend for a year, so it hasn't really been something that I've really been involved with up until now. Shes a good person and I'll do whatever I can to assist in this as no one in her family, or her boyfriend know anything about cars. But I won't lie, I don't know much about Aveo or the 1.6L E-Tec II's other then what I've read today on this site and on Wikipedia.

I just feel like the engine swap is the least expensive way to get her back on the road, as a new car isn't a solution at the moment... if I'm wrong def let me know, but I just can't see getting a head rebuilt and then replacing the pistons being a less expensive way to take care of the diagnosed issue then the swap.

I just want to make sure that if there are any other accessories from the '07 that I might need, that I get them sent with the engine.

I appreciate you guys responding though!

Thanks
      I would honestly take a look at it first in person or get some pictures first before buy the engine, the mechanic could be very wrong, $3000 sounds the alarm

It is all the same engine wise until you get to the 2nd gen Aveos, Daox has the best thread for it on here, here is another with some possibly useful information. http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/2...tiblity-12537/

The only big difference is the drive by wire but that is it. Every else should swap with no issues, its all the same stuff anyways

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i wouldnt opt out of a valve job until you pull the head.

But the engine will fit, yes, you will just have to match up parts. but nothing "important"

For $3000, you could easily swap a ecotec (gen 2) or a 1.4t from a cruze in there.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      i wouldnt opt out of a valve job until you pull the head.

But the engine will fit, yes, you will just have to match up parts. but nothing "important"

For $3000, you could easily swap a ecotec (gen 2) or a 1.4t from a cruze in there.
      Well we have about a week and a half to get things moving along... so if she can get the car up here over the weekend I'll look over it. I'm also having her get the mechanic to give her a detailed write up of what he found.

So we shall see... but in the mean time she's prepped to pick up the 1.6L out of the '07

Though I gotta say, you've peaked my curiosity about the 1.4T in an Aveo, any idea the P/W ration that would end up with?

Most likely picking up Mk2 Jetta/GTI and doing a Stroker 8V Build... but I'm always interested in a unique turbo build

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FiXXXerX View Post
      Well we have about a week and a half to get things moving along... so if she can get the car up here over the weekend I'll look over it. I'm also having her get the mechanic to give her a detailed write up of what he found.

So we shall see... but in the mean time she's prepped to pick up the 1.6L out of the '07

Though I gotta say, you've peaked my curiosity about the 1.4T in an Aveo, any idea the P/W ration that would end up with?

Most likely picking up Mk2 Jetta/GTI and doing a Stroker 8V Build... but I'm always interested in a unique turbo build
      If you do the 1.4T swap, me and Rabbit will have to steal it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast