•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking about purchasing an Aveo

What's wrong with my car? lafayette's Avatar
      Thanks

I'm thinking about purchasing an Aveo

Hello,

So I am thinking about purchasing an Aveo.

This is after a few days of research into the small car market in my area (northcentral indiana). I am needing a small car that will work as a daily commuter (20 miles) and is versatile enough for other passengers (up to three and four times a month for a 100 mile interstate highway trip). The aveo seems like a good option because of its affordability.

There are many good reviews and poor reviews all accross the internet. Being someone on a budget, I am seeking out the general comments of an Aveo car-club, about the economics and reliability. I have purused the forum's and these have various responses but am looking for more up to date for my specific vechicles.

The dealer I am looking at has several in its lineup. Some are Chevy certified, which I think is a good option since I am on a budget and people note problems with the car? Anyone have experience with the warranty/chevy certified warranties?

The specific cars I am interested in are a certified 2011 Chevy Aveo LS (the 4 dor sedan) there is also a used (not certifed but higher trim level) 2011 Chevy Aveo LT (the 4 dor sedan). Is going for the base a better option than going into higher trim if it comes at the expense of choosing Chevy certified over nicer options?

The price is $10998 for both and each have ~40k miles. These are slightly over KBB according to carfax. Is this reasonable?

What should I be looking for as far as problems that I'll run into if I purchase a noncertified car? Should I be worried at all since the miles are low and persumably, worked on in the 2011's?

How do these things drive in hot weather, winter weather, rainy weather, and fair weather?

Finally, hatchback versus sedan. Besides actual body style and decrease in space are there any other advanatges here?

Thank-you for any and all input, it is greatly appreciated!

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      Personally im partial to the hatch the sedans are nice but the hatch has a better front end in my opinion. Are you looking at manual or automatic , manual will get you better fuel eco the 5speed has a bit higher gear ratio than the older ones better for commuting cruse control is a good thing to have. I had good warranty while i was in the states i also had gap coverage to cover the in between issues. I haven't heard of many issues with those cars. And if you do There is a few guys on here with that body style. In my opinion the more options you have the more can go wrong over time. I have a electric everything not by choice id rather have manual everything
      But it all comes down to what is best for you Good luck If get one make sure to post pics

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      [QUOTE=lafayette;167495]Hello,

So I am thinking about purchasing an Aveo.

This is after a few days of research into the small car market in my area (northcentral indiana). I am needing a small car that will work as a daily commuter (20 miles) and is versatile enough for other passengers (up to three and four times a month for a 100 mile interstate highway trip). The aveo seems like a good option because of its affordability.

There are many good reviews and poor reviews all across the internet. Being someone on a budget, I am seeking out the general comments of an Aveo car-club, about the economics and reliability. I have purused the forum's and these have various responses but am looking for more up to date for my specific vechicles.

The dealer I am looking at has several in its lineup. Some are Chevy certified, which I think is a good option since I am on a budget and people note problems with the car? Anyone have experience with the warranty/chevy certified warranties?

The specific cars I am interested in are a certified 2011 Chevy Aveo LS (the 4 dor sedan) there is also a used (not certifed but higher trim level) 2011 Chevy Aveo LT (the 4 dor sedan). Is going for the base a better option than going into higher trim if it comes at the expense of choosing Chevy certified over nicer options?

The price is $10998 for both and each have ~40k miles. These are slightly over KBB according to carfax. Is this reasonable?

What should I be looking for as far as problems that I'll run into if I purchase a noncertified car? Should I be worried at all since the miles are low and persumably, worked on in the 2011's?

How do these things drive in hot weather, winter weather, rainy weather, and fair weather?

Finally, hatchback versus sedan. Besides actual body style and decrease in space are there any other advanatges here?

Thank-you for any and all input, it is greatly appreciated!

Hello Lafayette,

The Aveo is an excellent choice for a compact vehicle. Not only is it great on MPG and it’s affordable. Depending on your lifestyle the hatch is great for storing equipment but the sedan is a nice option also. When you buy a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from Chevy, Buick or GMC you're protected from the moment you leave the lot. Why? Because all of our 2007-2012 vehicles come with two auto warranties that combine to provide fantastic coverage: a 12-Month/12,000-Mile, Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty, and a 5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty. What’s included is almost every part of our vehicles are covered under the 12-Month/12,000-Mile, Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (excludes normal wear and maintenance items). You should check with your dealership or the Chevy web pages for incentives, special offers and pricing.

Good luck with your decision!

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      Alright, so I bought it. Got it talked down to 10700. Later the sleazy dealer gives me a more current carfax showing that it was worth 10500 after my offer was accepted. Sleazy dealer tries selling me loans for the next two hours while I already had my financing in order. But... I got the thing. It is a 2011 Aveo LT with auto, certification, and 40k. We've had it since monday and I've drove about 100miles. Its fun to drive!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      congratulations. glad the sleazy dealer experience didn't make you hate the car like it does with so many.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      congratulations. glad the sleazy dealer experience didn't make you hate the car like it does with so many.
      Apparently the later model ones have not seen the problems (yet?) that the earlier ones have had.

As for the sleazy dealer experience, let's hear from Vanessa (and the GM team that currently dwell on this list) with what they will do about that - meaning let's hear something other than their corporate recitation of purely positive, canned platitudes to placate Aveo owners. You might have to entreat them with numerous calls and documentation if anything goes wrong with your car under warranty, before they repair it.

The Aveo is not a bad product. Chevy dealers and GM warranty service can prove to be far more problematic than the quality of the vehicle.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      The Aveo is not a bad product. Chevy dealers and GM warranty service can prove to be far more problematic than the quality of the vehicle.
      i couldn't agree more, most of the complaints i hear about the aveo (here and elsewhere) have more to do with a mechanic who couldn't fix it properly after numerous attempts than the car being directly at fault.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I'm going to plug in my thoughts here. My wife and I no longer have Aveos but have no complaints about the car at all. I had the 04 Sedan and she had the 07 hatchback. We loved them. No major problems at all. Just normal items like oil changes, tires, and brakes. Make sure you do the timing belt if needed. Thats about it. I have a Cruze now and she has the Sonic. I still miss my 04 Aveo quite a bit. It was a great car!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by lafayette View Post
      Alright, so I bought it. Got it talked down to 10700. Later the sleazy dealer gives me a more current carfax showing that it was worth 10500 after my offer was accepted. Sleazy dealer tries selling me loans for the next two hours while I already had my financing in order. But... I got the thing. It is a 2011 Aveo LT with auto, certification, and 40k. We've had it since monday and I've drove about 100miles. Its fun to drive!

Hi Layfayette,

Congratulations on your new Aveo! Buying a new car is always exciting. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it! I know we’ve all had an occasional bad dealership or service experience at some point with our vehicles because nothing is perfect. Please be aware that dealers are independently owned and that basically if there is an issue GM will address your concern or issue. We depend on the dealership for the face to face customer experience and sometimes humans make mistakes and things don't go as we expect them to. When you have a poor service or a bad customer experience at any Chevy dealership you’re welcome to submit a complaint at the dealership location. If you feel that you aren’t being heard you can post on this forum and I will document your case and try to achieve some type of resolve. Please be assured that I am here to provide the best possible assistance to you as Aveo owners. I'm in your corner! Thank you again for choosing Chevy!

Have a great weekend!

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      On 12-31-2012 my parked Aveo was rear ended by a careless driver I front of my house No one was hurt. She was driving about 35mph. The car was damaged from the left rear corner all the way to the trunk compartment and through the left passenger door. Also, it was pushed into my 99 ford explorer (causing no damage to it) but damaging the front. The careless person has caused $6,000 worth of damage. Her insurance is willing to pay, so far, and the body shop guys are still investigating if the frame is bent. I may be getting this thing paid off quicker than intended. I am glad she wasn't moving at a quicker pace nor had she directly hit my rear or someone may have been hurt. Anyone have any close ones in their car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast