•  

Thread: How To: Purchasing & Installing a RADAR DETECTOR

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

How To: Purchasing & Installing a RADAR DETECTOR

Buying the Correct Detector

Step
      1 Figure out your budget so that you will get a detector you can afford. There are many varieties of radar detectors with a lot of bells and whistles, with prices ranging from roughly $80 to more than $350.

2 Decide if you want to install the detector or whether you want a professional installer to do it. This will help determine what kind of store you buy the unit from. Specialty car audio shops have technicians on hand who can install the units for you. If you buy from a store like Kmart, you will probably have to install the unit yourself.

3 Consider brand-name devices. Leading manufacturers of radar detectors include Cobra, Uniden, Whistler and Bel-Tronics.

4 Choose a unit that can sense wideband. The unit should be able to pick up the entire Ka band as well as K, X and laser.

5 Note the unit's sensitivity. Manufacturers sometimes publish lab-test results. Look for at least 110 dB.

6 Think about getting a unit with memory. This will avoid the need to keep resetting the adjustments every time you start up.

7 Look carefully at the display. Make sure you can see it even in bright sunlight.

8 Select a unit that has an adjustable volume. Consider getting a unit with a "Mute" function. If there is a police car cruising behind you, you can silence the detector so it won't drive you batty

Things You’ll Need:

Radar Detectors
      Cable Ties
      Grommets
      Multiuse Screws
      Screwdriver Sets
      Silicone
      Variable-speed Drills
      Wire Cutters

Preliminaries

Step
      1 Read the instructions that come with the detector. Don't do anything until you fully understand the instructions.

2 Gather the following tools: drill, screws, wire cutter, silicone, grommets, screwdriver, wire ties and/or wire loom.

3 Open the radar detector's box and make sure you have everything you are supposed to have.

4 Inspect the inside and outside of your car for locations for the components of the detector. You want the receiver to go in a location that is easily viewed from the driver's seat. Make certain that there are no obstructions - this includes your arms when your hands are on the steering wheel. Common locations for the receiver are the ashtray position, hanging from under the dash, or on the sun visor.

5 Inspect the car to determine the best locations for the other components of the detector, which include sensors for the front and rear of the car. The instructions will give you some ideas. Again, make certain that there are no obstructions in any of the locations you choose. Remember, radar cannot penetrate metal and laser can't penetrate plastic.

The Installation

Step
      1 Mount the components in the locations you have chosen. Use screws to mount the items securely to a metal surface. You may find that you will need brackets to mount the items securely.

2 Run wires from components located in the front of the car through the engine compartment to the firewall. Select a grommet already in place on the wall and thread the wires through it to the passenger compartment. Tie the wires neatly together or thread them through a plastic loom to protect them.

3 Route wires from components in the back of the vehicle through the car to the passenger compartment.

4 Mount the receiver and connect the wires from the components to the receiver.

5 Tap power from the fuse block and ground to a clean metal surface.

Hope this saves u a few tickets. Lots of very good radars can be bought on radarbusters.
      Make sure u get one that doesnt bounce of signals to the cop radars and cannot be caught

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Re: How To: Purchasing & Installing a RADAR DETECTOR

You forgot the MOST IMPORTANT step when choosing a radar detector...

Keep in mind that the same companies that make the $20,000 (probably really cheap) radars, and lazer speed dectors that police use....MAKE THE RADAR DETECTORS TOO!!! Yeah, the $300 insurance you have against the $20,000 radar..good luck...food for thought when you think you got a great deal when you spend a hundred bucks on a radar detector..LOL
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

how about we just try to obey the speed limit? we'll save gas and avoid tickets!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

I have the passport 8500 xd or something like that. It's the one that is supposed to be one of the best next to the V-----.

Works great on the highways. 85% of the time it gives me a 1-20mile heads up, sadly the other 15% of the time it's usually just on the verge of "oh ****, I'm not sure if I slowed down in time"