•  

Thread: Exceeding 2004 Aveo weight limit

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Exceeding 2004 Aveo weight limit

hello today is my very fist post on this forum, i do hope i do not trouble you to much about my question but i need to enlighten myself and some others about this car.

my question is: what can happen if you exceed the weight limit (total) of a 2004 Aveo? to give you some intel about my question; my sister's weight is about 430lb, and her husband is about the same. plus me being 271lb and there kid which is about 30lb and a new lab puppy which is about 15-20lbs. My sister asked me to pick her up and all of them from were she is to bring her home. she is having a problem with her van so she asked me to help her out. i would have but my concern is all that weight in that tiny little 4 door car. i ask this because i am a over the road truck driver and the weight of a tractor-trailer is very important. if the tractor-trailer is off by any amount of the legal limit, it can make for a very different ride. i know that a 18-wheeler is different then a car, but its all the same when you are talking about weight right? she says that she and her husband have been in the car before and have had no problems, but they are not car people, all they know is to put gas the car and bring it to wal-mart to get a oil change...

if anyone can help please, i need it. i need to see if i am right or my sister. because i see her weight as a big problem for that little car...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      well you would bottom out the suspension.. maybe blow a strut, or put a shock through its mount, break a spring.. tires might need more air in them, may rub on turns..

with the little 1.6 i would try NOT going up any hills.. not that florida has any.

a member here (old mod) filled his aveo with cinder block.. i forget how many.. but things like that are usually ok for one time..
      but together the block probably weighed the same as your sister..

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      thats well over 1000 pounds, you should be fine

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      well you would bottom out the suspension.. maybe blow a strut, or put a shock through its mount, break a spring.. tires might need more air in them, may rub on turns..

with the little 1.6 i would try NOT going up any hills.. not that florida has any.

a member here (old mod) filled his aveo with cinder block.. i forget how many.. but things like that are usually ok for one time..
      but together the block probably weighed the same as your sister..
      thanks guys, i feel better knowing that. i had a feeling on all the things you mention petrified.rabbit, i just had to re-insure myself.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I loaded up my 2004 with 12 80lbs bags of topsoil... 960lbs on the rear suspension. It road low, and would've bottomed out if you spit on it, but no problems.