•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life exptancy of the Aveo?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Life exptancy of the Aveo?

Hi all, I am new here, and have questions about the service life of the Aveo. I have a bad miss in it, it vibrates more than my bike does, and is throwing codes P1781, P0700, and P0300.

We bought it new in late 2004, and have about 107K on the clock. We did the timing belt replacement around 60K (yeah, coming up on another by spring), and around 100K I replaced the plugs and wires, and knocked the bugs out of the K&N.

I just replaced the plugs again, at less than 10K, because I have seen plugs go bad. Of the 4 plugs, all were burning the same, except the 2nd from the right... it had a litle black around the edge of the rim, but the spark area looked like the other 3. They were the AC-Delco laser platinums. The plugs I put in yesterday are the NGK Iridiums. We are taking it in the the dealer today, because I do not have the money to just keep throwing money at the problem. I doubt it is a coil, because the other cylinder on that coil is running fine. I figure there is probably a control module in there somewhere, but they cannot get it at O'Reilly Auto Parts, and I do not want to keep guessing. I need her out of my Concorde, and back in her Aveo.

Here is the reason for my question... my mechanic tells me that I should look at getting rid of the Aveo (affectionately known as "Little Red Speedy"), because around 120-130K, they start falling apart. I have trouble believing that. The only reason I replaced the plugs around 100K, was that I "sensed" a miss/stumble in the car at idle... it was STILL getting about 32mpg. My mechanic has no profit motive here, because he is not trying to sell me another car. I just suspect he is talking without knowledge of the car. I have only seen one other Aveo in his shop, and that one was falling apart, because it was beat all to hell, where we take good care of ours.

How about it forum people, how many miles are on our cars? Mine is stock, other than the K&N filter.

Banned
      Thanks
      code / what's wrong or how to fix it

P0300 / Crankshaft Relearn procedure
      P1786 / Transmission PCM fault
      P0700 /transmission control system

That's just what I've gathered from searching the sites for the codes you gave. Seems like a serious problem and something you definitely want the dealer to do.

As for the longevity of Aveos, I've seen some with 145,000 miles and saw one with 186,000 miles. Provided you take care of them and fix whatever eventually breaks, they'll last as long as any other car.

If I recall, wait for Daox to post as I believe he's dealt with his car giving him these codes as well.
      Last edited by Z34guy; 12-02-2010 at 11:10 AM.
      - 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      all cars regardless of original cost start to "no longer be new" around 80k miles.. (some sooner). By 120k they tend to need a few parts replaced, like a ball joint or tie rod end, maybe a bushing. That is all cars, even $50k ones. the aveo specifically around 120k miles, i would plan on replacing the strut mounts and struts, probably about $300 in parts, you can check the bushings etc at the same time. If you cannot do the struts themselves, i would at least do the front strut mounts..

You've already give the engine a tuneup, however your miss could still be the coil pack, if it is cracked on a particular post, and not the side of the coil. Personally getting rid of the platinum plugs will help you, by design. But this is still debatable on the forums as far as effectiveness to inappropriateness (read about platinum plugs and waste spark ignition compatibility problems). I am not sure about the iridiums, i have never run them and would personally stick to the coppers, even if you replace them twice as often they are typically half the cost. Most important thing to check with age is the engine mounts, check all three of them, and cycle gears while hold the brake to see engine movement.

There are a few aveos approaching 200k on these boards. So they can go the distance, however, since it is an economically built car the "cheaper" components will start to rattle, unlike high line cars like mercedes, bmw etc the dash bolts dont necessarily have loctite, lock washers, and bushings on them to keep the dash tight.. same goes with the rest of the interior.

as far as life "expectancy". based on average cost of buying a car etc.. typical cost of ownership and such.. i think you aveo is already done its job.. but life expectancy is 13 years and 145k miles regardless of make or model..

New Or Used - Automobile Buying Tips, New Cars, Used Cars, Vehicle History Report, Carfax, VIN#, Lemon Check, Vehicle Lifespan.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by normburns View Post
      I have only seen one other Aveo in his shop, and that one was falling apart, because it was beat all to hell, where we take good care of ours.
      I think that's a key point. I've always tended to buy used "entry level" cars like the Aveo, and think that people generally don't look after them well, possibly because they don't have much money to begin with, which is why they buy them.

But I've yet to own a car that has a "best before date".

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      But I've yet to own a car that has a "best before date".
      i have :P

I've owned two cars that the titles were stamped "beyond cars life expectancy" one was a chevette, the other was a 67 beetle.
      Not sure why either REALLY were stamped that, but they both had broken odometers. Before emissions was enforced, yearly mileage did not matter as much as today. So i figure it was like a "mileage exempt" stamp on the title. BUT now a days you have to have a working odometer and would get fined for odometer fraud..

Thanks
      That's hilarious. Something to frame and keep on the garage wall.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
      Benjamin: Yes, sir.
      Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
      Benjamin: Yes, I am.
      Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
      Benjamin: Just how do you mean that, sir?
      Every car I have owned, I ran the hell out of it. Usually the metal stays strong (mostly) but the plastic does fall apart. My dash in the 72 beetle is brittle and my seat in my 96 Ranger is crushed (could be my butt is too big) from the foam wearing out. Cars will last if you do take care of them. It's just hard considering most of the inside of the car is plastic.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by normburns View Post
      Hi all, I am new here, and have questions about the service life of the Aveo. I have a bad miss in it, it vibrates more than my bike does, and is throwing codes P1781, P0700, and P0300.

We bought it new in late 2004, and have about 107K on the clock. We did the timing belt replacement around 60K (yeah, coming up on another by spring), and around 100K I replaced the plugs and wires, and knocked the bugs out of the K&N.

I just replaced the plugs again, at less than 10K, because I have seen plugs go bad. Of the 4 plugs, all were burning the same, except the 2nd from the right... it had a litle black around the edge of the rim, but the spark area looked like the other 3. They were the AC-Delco laser platinums. The plugs I put in yesterday are the NGK Iridiums. We are taking it in the the dealer today, because I do not have the money to just keep throwing money at the problem. I doubt it is a coil, because the other cylinder on that coil is running fine. I figure there is probably a control module in there somewhere, but they cannot get it at O'Reilly Auto Parts, and I do not want to keep guessing. I need her out of my Concorde, and back in her Aveo.

Here is the reason for my question... my mechanic tells me that I should look at getting rid of the Aveo (affectionately known as "Little Red Speedy"), because around 120-130K, they start falling apart. I have trouble believing that. The only reason I replaced the plugs around 100K, was that I "sensed" a miss/stumble in the car at idle... it was STILL getting about 32mpg. My mechanic has no profit motive here, because he is not trying to sell me another car. I just suspect he is talking without knowledge of the car. I have only seen one other Aveo in his shop, and that one was falling apart, because it was beat all to hell, where we take good care of ours.

How about it forum people, how many miles are on our cars? Mine is stock, other than the K&N filter.
      at roughly 107,000 miles my coil pack went bad, in return killing the air fuel ratio sensor and catalytic converter

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      well, I now have an idea of what is happening. I mentioned (I think) that one of the plugs didn't look like the others, in how it was burning. Do you think that 25lbs compression in that cylinder might have something to do with it? The dealer is looking into it, to give me a good diagnosis, and then I will decide which route to take.... another engine, or another car.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      You should get close to 135psi compression on a good cylinder. At 25psi, you're getting some serious compression losses. Time to bore the cylinder to the first oversized piston.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast