•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: replacing valve cover gasket

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

replacing valve cover gasket

wish me luck on changing the valve cover gasket on my 2006 aveo. I changed the plugs yesterday and discovered oil in the number 1 and 2 plug wells. I ordered a new gasket set from rockauto and expect it this comming week. I will keep posting my progress.

Thanks
      Had the same thing happen, ordered the valve cover gasket but haven't installed it yet. Actually, every car I have ever had that got over about 100k has had oil down by the plugs.

Thanks
      Oh - take photos if you feel inclined. Would be interesting to know how it goes / how long it takes.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by nevadajohn View Post
      wish me luck on changing the valve cover gasket on my 2006 aveo. I changed the plugs yesterday and discovered oil in the number 1 and 2 plug wells. I ordered a new gasket set from rockauto and expect it this comming week. I will keep posting my progress.
      It's not to hard to do but you might want to have a service manual close by before you get started.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

jay
      What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i just replaced my valve cover gasket due to the oil in the plug wells as well as general greasyness of the engine before i did it i degreased the engine and glad i did one thing i did was use a liberal ammout of RTV on the whole valve cover on the outside edge of the new gasket and around the spark plug wells just to be on the safe side and since i had pulled the plug wires when i put them back in the car ran like crap and the check engine light was flashing i replaced the wires and plugs as well as an oil change and it now runs like a champ with no leaks for some strange reason it started leaking right after i did the timing belt/waterpump/pulley's operation last month it is at 110,000 and i am the new owner i didnt know if the timing belt had been replaced but at the milage it was getting close to time to change anyway so i did all the main maintence now onto the brakes as they seem to pulsate sometimes (i suspect warped rotors )

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      Be very care full when re torquing the valve cover bolts insect every one of them when i pulled mine out they were stretched and i didn't want to replace them. If they are bad go to the dealer they should be able to hook you up i didn't have that option i had to go to a local hardware store and do some bolt matching

What's wrong with my car? deathmate's Avatar
      Thanks
      How do you get the oil out of the spark plug wells? I got 3 with oil in and tried to soak up with paper towel. Was afraid to take the plugs out.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by deathmate View Post
      How do you get the oil out of the spark plug wells? I got 3 with oil in and tried to soak up with paper towel. Was afraid to take the plugs out.
      I used an air compressor with the blow attachment and blew the oil out of the wells. To avoid a big mess of oil spray make sure that you have a paper towel or cloth in the other hand just above to catch all the oil forced out of the wells. Hope this helps.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I used plastic drinking straws to suck it up (no comments required ). Watch the oil come about half way up the straw, then put a finger over the straw top and move it over to a pan to let it drain out. Then finished it up by running a very thin flat screwdriver inside a CLEAN rag around the plug wells. Got the job done fine, but I'm sure that long, thin plastic tubing would be much faster and easier, and I will do it that way next time, if the replacement valve cover gasket isn't any better than the original one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast