•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reasonable cost to replace timing belt, pulleys, and water pump?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I supplied my own parts & paid about $450.00. The mechanic was incompetent, though. He broke the inner timing belt cover by bending it up to get the water pump out. that cover wound up pushing my new TB off the pulleys & costing me an engine, even though it broke at an idle!!!!! There's more to this story, including a small claims lawsuit, which I lost. Moral is Ask around!!! Be sure your independent local mechanic is a GOOD ONE!!!!!!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by sheva7 View Post
      I paid 300 for the timing belt only in a shop, but they ridiculously charged me 50$ of miscellaneous things and tried to force me to change the waterpump at the same time.

When I was asking for quote for timing belt + water pump, they were asking between 600 and 700$.
      I'll have my water pump change at 140000 at the second timing belt change.

Ben
      but they ridiculously charged me 50$...
      Fifty dollars? You think that's ridiculous amount on a job that costs hundreds to re-do? Tell us what the other "miscellaneous things" were that they replaced.

Pray that your oil seal doesn't fail next. When there is oil covering everything in that internal area, you will need to spend close to $1000 to rectify it, and not quibble about $50.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      Fifty dollars? You think that's ridiculous amount on a job that costs hundreds to re-do? Tell us what the other "miscellaneous things" were that they replaced.

Pray that your oil seal doesn't fail next. When there is oil covering everything in that internal area, you will need to spend close to $1000 to rectify it, and not quibble about $50.
      the 50 was for 3 bottles of coolant and some sealant they charged because they said it was leaking. it was not leaking. I had the tank monitored before the shop, it was full, and they told me the tank was running out of coolant. they just wanted me to replace the water pump.

otherwise I agree with you for the other miscellaneous charges.

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by sheva7 View Post
      the 50 was for 3 bottles of coolant and some sealant they charged because they said it was leaking. it was not leaking. I had the tank monitored before the shop, it was full, and they told me the tank was running out of coolant. they just wanted me to replace the water pump.

otherwise I agree with you for the other miscellaneous charges.
      The water pump is supposed to be replaced when the timing belt is done. It's easier and cheaper to do it all at once, than to have to tear the car apart again later. He wasn't trying to screw you over into replacing the water pump, it needs/needed to be done.

Just my two cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12