•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable cost to replace timing belt, pulleys, and water pump?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Reasonable cost to replace timing belt, pulleys, and water pump?

2006 Aveo. As I understand it, it makes sense to replace all three of these together. My vehicle is nearing $90k and as far as I know hasn't had work done on any of these.

Regardless, I want to replace ASAP. What is a fair cost?

Thanks!

Also, I'm a few driver to the Aveo, does anyone else notice that above 60-65 mph, winds blow this thing all over the road?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Rockauto sells the whole set with water pump (I suggest the gates) for $90. If you do it your self you will probably take 8 -12 hours to do it. If you have a mechanic figure on double that parts cost, and they will take 3 to 4 hours @ $60 to $100 per hour. So $350 to $600 for a shop to do it. If you have the time, try it your self, its really not that bad and there is a great write up on it. Just do yourself a favor and borrow, rent, or buy a DOHC lock and the Lisle water pump wrench.

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I recommend getting a friend to help you with it though, two people really makes the work smoother and faster.

As for winds, our cars sit rather tall compared to others, (ever park next to a Saturn SL1?) , and that combined with it being an inline four, giving it a higher center of gravity to begin with, causes us to need to drive with very firm, steady hands.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      lowering springs REALLY help the height issues of the car. a heavy wind will still shove it slightly, but now where near what the factory soft springs will allow.

Thanks
      Anything else I should get replaced while I've got the engine apart?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I think I paid $350 and I supplied my own parts when I had mine done, it was a very good shop so I think I got a deal.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      If it still has the factory pos plastic thermostat housing, definiitely relplace that with a metal housing.
      It sounds like you will have a shop do this work. If so that's fine, because not everyone is a DIYer. Be aware that a Chevy dealer is likely to charge $800-1000 for this work. So find an independent shop with a good reputation - likely to be in the $400-700 price range. Call around to see what the shops in your area get for the full timing belt job.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      If it still has the factory pos plastic thermostat housing, definiitely relplace that with a metal housing.
      It sounds like you will have a shop do this work. If so that's fine, because not everyone is a DIYer. Be aware that a Chevy dealer is likely to charge $800-1000 for this work. So find an independent shop with a good reputation - likely to be in the $400-700 price range. Call around to see what the shops in your area get for the full timing belt job.
      Yup, done that already. Anything else? Other belts? I'm gonna leave the seals if they aren't leaking. Spark plugs/wires?

I am having someone else do it, not feasible for me to do at the moment. Lowest quote so far is $800, but I am in an expensive area.
      Last edited by dalegribble; 07-29-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dalegribble View Post
      Yup, done that already. Anything else? Other belts? I'm gonna leave the seals if they aren't leaking. Spark plugs/wires?

I am having someone else do it, not feasible for me to do at the moment. Lowest quote so far is $800, but I am in an expensive area.
      I too am in an expensive area. You might want to reconsider having the oil seal replaced at the same time, even tho it's not leaking. A wise strategy is to change all those internal components 'while you're in there'. I have had similar Japanese FWD cars over the years. On one I had the timing belt, etc. changed at 60K, only to have the front oil seal rupture 20K miles later. That meant I had to have the same work done over, including water pump, timing belt, tensioners, etc. At $900 it was a lesson I never forgot.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I paid 300 for the timing belt only in a shop, but they ridiculously charged me 50$ of miscellaneous things and tried to force me to change the waterpump at the same time.

When I was asking for quote for timing belt + water pump, they were asking between 600 and 700$.
      I'll have my water pump change at 140000 at the second timing belt change.

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast