•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No start just like the other guy..

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

No start just like the other guy..

I don't want to hijack your thread but I seem to be having the same issue as the OP and a separate thread seemed redundant. I was able to get my wife's car started by jump starting it. I put a new battery in it and it ran ok. It idled a little low and died a few times when stopping in traffic but started up right away and kept running. Since I had the hood up and was poking around the engine I decided to go ahead and change it last night since it was due. After the oil change it would not start again. It was late and I didn't have much time to do any troubleshooting but wanted to ask if anyone had any ideas how an oil change might affect the cars ability to start. I've changed the oil in my own vehicles since I first owned a car (25 years+) so I'm no stranger to the procedure, however it's the first time I've changed it in this car. I bought the 5Qt jug but stopped shy of adding the entire contents of the jug. I don't know exactly how much oil I added but worst case is probably 4.5 qts. I haven't needed to work on this engine in the 6 months that I've owned this car but at this point I'm clueless about the quirks of this particular engine. The car will turn over but will not fire. I plan to check the spark plugs tonight and I've also read that a faulty O2 sensor may cause the low idle. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I also have the same vehicle as the OP, 2004. (and if you'd like me to start my own thread, no problem)

Last edited by randyw; 09-01-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added vehicle year

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      if changing your oil "killed" the car, check the oil pressure sensor and report back..

Thanks
      Can you elaborate on what I should check on the oil pressure sensor? The only thing I've ever done regarding sensors was replacing the O2 sensor in my wife's old Plymouth Breeze.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its a pressure switch on the oil pump, if the oil change is actually related to it not starting, the oil pressure sensor would be why.

if you unplug and/or jump the sensor, it will start if that is the issue. dont leave it hanging while running too long, and also dont drive it / run it long, as you might actually have low oil pressure and not a bad sensor, just see if it starts.

After either solving or eliminating that, the diagnosis can point elsewhere.

i would also check for fuel and spark.

Thanks
      Found the problem. I'm assuming this is due to a faulty valve cover gasket? Pulled the plug wires and there is oil down in the cylinders.

Attached Images Attached Images  

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Or a faulty valve cover...what year is your aveo?

Thanks
      2004. I'm really puzzled as to how the oil got into that top "pan" as shown in the pic. I used a funnel when filling it with oil yesterday and I'm absolutely sure there was no overspill.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      either thru the spark plug tube gasket, or a crack in the valve cover, or you spilt some when pouring the new oil in (it happens). I'd pull off that spark plug wire and clean it off. Also see if theres any on the actual spark plug. then reconnect and see if it starts

Thanks
      I'll give that a shot before I take it apart any further. Just a note though, I was having problems with it starting before I changed the oil. I think the adding of oil exacerbated the problem I was having before. It was low on oil before I changed it. ???

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      well if the spark plug tube gaskets gave out, and you filled the head with oil it would just fill up the park plug tubes while it runs down the oil return..

this seems like it is a viable answer, has it started? i find it hard to believe it would be a total no start other than oil change issue, but it definitely would run like total crap..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast