•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No start just like the other guy..

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Good thread guys. I am glad I found this forum because now I am having the same problems. Let me give you some history. I got a 2004 Aveo. Father-in-law gave us the car because he just didn't want it anymore. Who am I to turn down something free especially when its a car? After accepting his generous act, I started looking over the car and noticed that he hadn't done a darn thing to this car. For you northerners, he neglected the car and didn't do any preventitive maintenance.

The common problem...Valve cover gasket..Oil in the spark plug holes. Spark plugs soaked in oil and wires wet from the oil.

After pulling the spark plugs, I immediately diagnosed the problem and replaced the valve cover gasket. I am no fool, I also replaced the spark plugs and carefully inspected the car for other problems. I was thinking about replacing the wires but thought I would wait to see how the plugs would perform.

Everything was good until I saw smoke from the exhaust. Smoke? I carefully checked the plugs holes to see if i had somehow installed the gasket wrong. Everything looked good. Why the smoke? Do think the excess oil in the cylinder is being burned off? Or maybe some oil got past the exhaust valve in the head. What do you think?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the oil probably made it into the cylinder when you pulled the plug. if it doesnt go away after some running (day or two at most), then it will be time to look into other possible causes. Just check the oil level for now.

Thanks
      Just wanted to add an update. Last weekend I had the same no start condition that started this thread. After more head scratching than I'm willing to admit, I removed the oil pressure sensor for a closer inspection and found that the electrical contacts were heavily corroded. I scraped off the corrosion with a razor knife and cleaned them further with some electrical contact cleaner. I then added some dielectric grease and plugged it back in. Fired right up. It's my guess that this was my issue all along and unplugging and re-seating the electrical contacts worked temporarily the last time I went through this (I did NOT inspect or clean the contacts the last time). Lesson learned for anyone else who may have this problem arise. Now, if I could only figure out how to get the rear brake assembly off so that I can replace the wheel bearings.....

Thanks
      Hi, my problem is oil soaked plugs totally, threads, electrode, oil just dripping off the plug when I took them out. Also a puddle of oil on top of the piston, I don't think this is a valve cover gasket in my case. I'm thinking valve guides or seals. I just put new plugs in it and I will check it once a week, when they get soaked again I will take it to the dealer ( I bought an extended warrenty) I will report my findings later. This should not be happening at 45000 miles!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123