•  
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How strict are you with maintenance? Post yours!

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      my oil change light comes on the day after i change my oil, every time.
      i change mine every 4-5k or 6 months (if i actually go 6 months without it going 5k..)

more often i do it right before its cold for winter, like late october early november, and the change it on the first break of spring. I do more driving in summer, so it typically gets changed then too..

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thedan04 View Post
      Hello all,

I was reviewing my owner's manual today for recommended maintenance on my 2009 Aveo LT and was shocked to find the recommendation for oil change to not list mileage at all. It was recommended to wait for the light to come on or one year and provided information on the monitoring system that is in place.

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...veo_owners.pdf
      page 306 (6-4) Scheduled maintenance

Can anyone provide some insight or experience with following this guideline? I've never heard of such a schedule and am nervous to follow it. I am aware that things change with newer technology and am more technically than mechanically inclined myself and want to gather more info before making a decision.

Thanks in advance

TheDan

In simple terms, the car monitors the oil life based on engine data (rpms, vehicle speed, etc). Then it does a predetermined calculation and decides if the oil is due for changing.

I on the other hand change my oil every 2500mi, change the filter and rotate tires every 5000mi, replace my air filter and clean the throttle body every 15000mi, and at 30000mi i'll replace the brake fluid and manual trans fluid...beyond that I'm not too sure cuz i'm only at 7000mi with my '10

Thanks
      "This vehicle has the Engine Oil Life System, a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.
      When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A change engine oil light displays. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.
      If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed."

That's what GM says about the oil life monitoring system

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thank you for the reply Ratchet104.

I see in your reply that you regularly change your oil by mileage rather than relying on the Engine Oil Life System. Is this decision based on any negative experiences with following the owner's manual instructions or simply based on years of manufacturer's and other's recommendations to change the oil at regular mileage intervals?

Has anyone here ever actually waited for the light to come on to change the oil with this year/model?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      after a while, you notice you can feel the power loss / lack of responsiveness that new oil seems to cure.

you'll find an intervel that work for you. changing the oil regularly is cheaper than replacing it after the warranty runs out. i have 50k.. i'm sure the car could go that long without an oil change. (seen one go 120k) but i want it to last past 50k, where as gm wants me to buy another one.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thank you Petrified.Rabbit. That pretty much confirms my suspicions and helps me make a better decision!

As I bought my car used I think I will be changing the oil soon. The dealership stated the scheduled maintenance was performed, however this seems to present a sort of loop hole that leaves me feeling less sure about what was done.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      i only use JDM parts and oil

Thanks
      I go 2500 miles for a few reasons 1) I dont pay for oil since I get it from work 2) it keeps my engine that much cleaner 3) it makes me feel like I'm doing stuff to my car even though it's just basic maintanance which in turn saves me from going on a binge and installing every accessory autozone stocks. Modifying cars is like a drug for me be it autozone shwag or the finest sticky from Japan. If I was using synthetic, I'd change it every 5000 miles. and like rabbit said, you'll find an interval your comfortable with. And yes Hunter, I use only the finest JDM oils of the land

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet104 View Post
      I go 2500 miles for a few reasons 1) I dont pay for oil since I get it from work 2) it keeps my engine that much cleaner 3) it makes me feel like I'm doing stuff to my car even though it's just basic maintanance which in turn saves me from going on a binge and installing every accessory autozone stocks. Modifying cars is like a drug for me be it autozone shwag or the finest sticky from Japan. If I was using synthetic, I'd change it every 5000 miles. and like rabbit said, you'll find an interval your comfortable with. And yes Hunter, I use only the finest JDM oils of the land
      that is good to hear

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      As of now I'm just intermediate in following the maintenance schedules, which right now it sit at around 35K miles and basically all I do is change the oil every 3K at the dealer but now the car is due so I'm putting full synthetic. I changed the plastic thermostat housing since I service rep told me about it in when these are known to brake and doing damage to the engine or something like that therefore they replaced it with the metal one, also I don't follow much the procedure in the manual as I think if something breaks I fix it otherwise I leave it untouched. Next, will be a coolant flush, spark plugs and wires will be replaced and maybe at 50K or less a transmission fluid flush other than that nothing else since the car is trouble free as of now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast