•  
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How strict are you with maintenance? Post yours!

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: How strict are you with maintenance? Post yours!

(not speaking for him just speaking from others experience)

most aveos have a plastic housing that in experience become brittle with age and can crack easily.
      There is a metal housing available, that is a direct bolt on. and will not crack. And its cheap so why not replace it to prevent dumping the coolant.

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

Well there's not much to do on these 2009's. The oil change light comes on when it's need. The plugs are good for 100,000. I just check the levels every so often when I'm under the hood and keep the girl clean.
      (I wonder why everyone thinks these cars are under powered. I can't complain at all, but it could be the way I can whip through the gears like they aren't even there. I can lay rubber as long as I want and keep up to any car in my class or beat them. Now with that said, I'm not going to race my friends Z07 Vet. with over 500 horses and he knows how to drive it too. I think more drivers should learn what there car can really do before complaining what they can't.)
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      (not speaking for him just speaking from others experience)

most aveos have a plastic housing that in experience become brittle with age and can crack easily.
      There is a metal housing available, that is a direct bolt on. and will not crack. And its cheap so why not replace it to prevent dumping the coolant.
      rabbit, is it available for the aveo or is it a bolt on from another car? Can I go to the dealer and ask him for the metal thermostat housing and get it that way? Or do I need to go online for that? I wouldn't mind doing it just to be on the safe side.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Thanks

will do. thank you.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I change the oil every 3,000 Miles and change the spark plugs with NGK Platinum every 30,000 miles like it says in the owners manual. At 76,540 miles I changed the rear wheel hub, 85,670 changed Radiator and flushed the system, at 85,699 changed drivebelt should have seen that coming. Finally at 87,697 I changed the Power Steering pump. The car had to be on blocks for two weeks while the part had to come from Korea. Now I have to wait to get a Fuel Filter for this car when it comes available or can anyone who reads this tell me where can I order one My local dealership that is thirty miles from me said it is nonservicable. The car currently has 91,600miles and has another 800 miles to go for an oil change. One piece of advice don't let your parents take it out for a spin.

Thanks

just did my timing belt kit (with tensioner etc), water pump and metal thermostat housing

next time will need to be the plugs, wires, oil change, accessorybelt+tensioner

I don't think the rad was ever flushed before, so got that done .. but didn't change the rad or hoses, they seemed ok..

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

48000 miles with only oild changes, started using syn. at 42000 and thats it

Thanks

I've been pretty good about changing the oil on most of my cars. When I first got the Aveo, I changed the Oil to 5W-30 Full Synthetic AMSOil and WIX filter, when I hit 5k since I did that, I will be changing to AMSOil "Absolute Efficiency" filter and probably to their 0W-30 Signature full synthetic oil.
      Changed my front brake disks to cross-drilled and slotted with some ceramic pads from R1 concepts at around 30k miles, changed out spark plugs at around the same time (to NGK Iridium with matching NGK wires).

Replaced tires (with wheels altogether, LOL)...

I try to do "preventive" maintenance as opposing to "unscheduled" maintenance if that makes sense. That's why I'm looking into changing my thermostat housing to metal sometime in the near future, but kind of been putting it off since I'm only at around 30k.

Also planning on doing an engine flush with AMSOil engine flush stuff (some liquid in a bottle)... seemed to work on my HHR quite well, I checked the oil color right before I did it and it was only a little darker than going in (after 9 or 10k miles with one WIX filter change in the middle) and after idling the engine for about 15 minutes or so with the flush liquid in it the oil came out BLACK... It did take quite a bit of stuff out (hopefully just gunk, nothing useful).

So that's my maintenance up to date...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      I've been pretty good about changing the oil on most of my cars. When I first got the Aveo, I changed the Oil to 5W-30 Full Synthetic AMSOil and WIX filter, when I hit 5k since I did that, I will be changing to AMSOil "Absolute Efficiency" filter and probably to their 0W-30 Signature full synthetic oil.
      Changed my front brake disks to cross-drilled and slotted with some ceramic pads from R1 concepts at around 30k miles, changed out spark plugs at around the same time (to NGK Iridium with matching NGK wires).
      Notice any difference going to synthetic?
      My plugs seem ok for now but will probably need to change them and wires in near future.
      How do you like those R1 brakes?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast