•  

Thread: Head Replacement Saga Continues

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Head Replacement Saga Continues

I've been working on replacing my head for the better part of two months, now. Between school and work, I have almost no time.
      Well, I got the head back on and everything bolted back up. I fretted over the belt a lot. The DOHC locking tool saved my sanity.

I checked, double checked, triple checked the marking on the camshaft gears and on the crank.

I started it back up and I'm getting a knocking sound from the engine. It's nothing crazy like when the belt went out, and the engine isn't vibrating and jumping like crazy.

First of all, please tell me I didn't jack up this new head.

I tested compression and I'm getting ~105psi on cylinders 1 - 3, and ~90 on 4.
      Is it possible the sound is due to the head not being fully lubricated? It was brand new if that makes a difference.

Is it possible that I'm 1 tooth off on the crankshafts? If so, again, please tell me I didn't jack anything up.

Any other thoughts?

What's wrong with my car? vettekid12's Avatar
      Thanks
      how does the throttle feel? is it sluggish or is it more peppy then it was before? if it is for either then u are off either advanced or retarded.. retarded will be peppy sluggish will be advanced. is your idel set correctly? and is your exhaust manifold on correctly.. as in tightened down in the correct sequence? if not u can have an exhaust leak that will sound like a knock or tick and mine did the same thing after my brother changed my manifold gasket and didnt tightne it correctly. and yes it was on number 4 cyl.. but the psi you have on number 4 is a little odd do a leak down test on thee number 4 cyl and see if u have a leak somewhere ie. rings/ cracked sleeve. stuck open valves headgastket. get that done asap

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I had a T-belt failure on my 2005 engine and decided to replace whole engine with a "new" used one with brand new T-belt. When the T-belt goes the valves hit the pistons and this does huge damage to the valves (bending) but the pistons suffer also and presumably the rings and the rods and even possibly the crankshaft can be damaged also. You may need a bottom overhaul also (the block), this is likely your source of knocking assuming you did everything else right.

Does the low compression (cylinder 4) correspond with the bent valves in the head? That would be a really bad sign.

Goodluck...

Last edited by BCAveo; 10-08-2012 at 08:42 PM.