•  

Thread: 2007 Aveo5 ls Shut Off

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Question 2007 Aveo5 ls Shut Off

I own a 2007 Aveo5 ls and this morning i started it like normal and it wasn't 3 seconds later it shut off. I don't know why but it really made me nervous. Any ideas?
      Thanks

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_Angstadt View Post
      I own a 2007 Aveo5 ls and this morning i started it like normal and it wasn't 3 seconds later it shut off. I don't know why but it really made me nervous. Any ideas?
      Thanks
      what do you mean "Shut Off"? does the engine Completely stop running as if you turned it off with the key, or does the engine start running roughly and then stalls? does it restart right away when you attempt to restart, or does it take a bit of time? are there any warning lights that come on when you "Shut Off"?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      the engine started running roughly and within 3 seconds of starting it up it just shut off. i turned the key back and started it again. it was having a hard time again so i started giving it gas to get it to stay on and it did. just not sure why its doing this. the engine light comes on and off everyonce and a while. took it to a chevy dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      .... took it to a chevy dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it.
      I assume when you got to the dealer, it was running fine, with no engine light? Hopefully they actually said something like "we can't find out what's wrong with it", right? Because if you told them that full story, most tech folks would tend to believe there is something wrong.
      Anyway, did they tell you if they tried to scan for OBD codes, and if so what the result of that was? Have there been any other recent problems, or recent recent maintenance done? How many miles on the odo? There could be lots of reasons for what's happening, and OBD codes are very often helpful in locating the problem.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      they said there was no obd code that they could find and the engine light was on. the technician took the car home to his house that night, said there was nothing wrong that he could see. it has 30,000 miles on it and there hasn't been any problems with it other than this. i was told it could be the throttle body but im not jumping to conclusions.
      Thanks.

Thanks
      Sounds like maybe there's a code being set that their scanner isn't able to read. It might be worth a trip to Autozone and the other guys who read codes for free, just on the (unlikely) chance their scanner might read the code. But another reason to visit those parts guys is that they get to see lots of vehicles. And just maybe one of them has seen this before with Aveos, and might even know what's going on.
      It might be the throttle body? Yep, but it might be a bunch of other things as well, and hanging parts gets expensive in a hurry (especially when it's a dealer doing the hanging).
      That's fairly low mileage - do you do primarily short trips - maybe 5 minutes or less?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      yes, i use it to go to school and back

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      yes, i use it to go to school and back
      so your Trips are less than 5 minutes? then that is not good, the Catalytic Converter needs more than 5 minutes to warm up to Operating Temperature, or else it won't efficiently clean the exhaust gases coming from the engine, and will cause the PCM to start freaking out.

Thanks
      Do you break up the short trips with a weekly longer one (1/2 hour plus) at highway speed? If not, it may be possible this is part of your problem (but still no reason for the CEL without a code). Take a look at the oil dipstick and filler cap, and check to see if there is any sign of brown/white deposits that look like mayonnaise. That would be one sign that the short trips are having a negative effect. You could also try taking it on the highway, getting it fully warmed-up (15 minutes), and then step all the way down, wide-open on the throttle, making it work hard. If blackish smoke comes out the pipe when you first step down, that's another indication that nastys are building up in the engine.