•  

Thread: Headlights for breakfast?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Headlights for breakfast?

Serious guys...no exaggeration on this. My 08 Aveo seems to have an unusual appetite for headlight bulbs. I have just replaced about the 9th or 10th one !!! I don't know why, but this car seems to eat them for breakfast... At $11 or $12 bucks each, it is getting annoying. Anybody else experience this type of failure on such a frequent basis..? They are easy enough to replace, but it is kind of ridiculous. I have had cars for 7-10
      years and only had to change 1 or 2 headlights. I think 10 headlights on a car thats only 5 years old is excessive. Any thoughts ?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Where are you getting bulbs for only $15? When i still had halogens i payed 60$/pair and changed em once once a year

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well, I would suppose an 11 dollar bulb isn't the best. Also are you getting skin oil on the bulb? The oils of your fingers will cause the bulb to burn out much quicker. Try swapping again without touching the glass exterior of the bulb itself. Maybe a more expensive bulb. If your problem continues I would test your connections and see if you're getting too much or too little power at the bulbs connector.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I agree with barbor98 that you need to avoid handling the bulb with your bare hands as it will shorten the life of the bulb.

Here in Ontario we have Canadian Tire that offers a 1 year warranty for bulbs. If they burn out within that year just bring the burned out bulbs and your original receipt and they will exchange them for free. Maybe they might have something similar in one of your local auto parts store.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      why are aveos so common in Canada?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      We know a good deal when we see one.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I suppose.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by joeblow55 View Post
      Serious guys...no exaggeration on this. My 08 Aveo seems to have an unusual appetite for headlight bulbs. I have just replaced about the 9th or 10th one !!! I don't know why, but this car seems to eat them for breakfast... At $11 or $12 bucks each, it is getting annoying. Anybody else experience this type of failure on such a frequent basis..? They are easy enough to replace, but it is kind of ridiculous. I have had cars for 7-10
      years and only had to change 1 or 2 headlights. I think 10 headlights on a car thats only 5 years old is excessive. Any thoughts ?
      Your concerns are definitely understandable. If this is a continued occurrence, a GM Certified Tech should be able to properly diagnose any issues if they're occurring. We can run your VIN# to see if any recalls or special coverages have been issued matching the described symptoms. I hope all concerns are resolved quickly for you. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance (Assisting Vanessa)
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Check the headlight wiring harness for corrosion. My passenger side bulb blew and upon inspection, I discovered the harnesses were corroded so bad that the passenger side socket melted to the bulb and the drivers side had deformed. I bought replacement H4 bulb sockets with pigtail and spliced them with solder and heatshrink tubing. Never had a problem after that.

Here is what the socket looks like:
      Grote Industries: Headlamp Socket - 2 or 3 Terminal Sealed Beam (Product #84-1006)

The wires going to the socket were corroded for about 6 inches inside the insulation.
      Last edited by ontarian_frog; 02-07-2013 at 03:30 PM.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      $12 is about what those bulbs cost around here. $60 is way out of line, but the kevin7898 poster is in Canada...
      I do not get my skin oils on the bulbs when installing. I am very careful not to touch the glass portion of the bulb.
      The wiring harness(es) look ok, but the bulb sockets themselves do look like they are getting a little hot, or at least
      warm...they are slightly discolored. Replacement bulb sockets with pigtail, splicing with solder and heatshrink tubing
      is a good suggestion. Any opinions on using some of that conductive grease on the terminals and sockets at the
      bulb ? I'm not a fan of that stuff, only because I have always been of the opinion that the best electrical connection
      is a CLEAN connection...putting anything in there is counterintuitive...seems like it could only make things worse, not
      better. Thoughts?