•  
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 clunkers to avoid

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      i have that problem too.. but i am on my iphone. Word complete can be terrible.. and my laptop uses firefox.. its just as bad.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Can i ask, without you just attacking and saying "the aveo is crap" what is wrong with yours? Also what is the history of the car? how much did you pay for i and where did you get it? tell us about it, what you were hoping for or expecting, etc..

If you think you'll get top dollar for trading in you aveo, you need to remember it IS the cheapest car in america, and even though most of us like it for what it is, we know its typically an entry level or cheap commuter car.

I dont know how much trouble you have had with your car specifically, but mine has only broken down twice in 25k+ miles. I've owned many car, a lot of more expensive cars including vws, audis, etc.. As far as my experience the aveo is as reliable as most new cars if you have someone who knows how to work on it (not every gm mechanic can even though it is badged gm).

I think the consensus here is the aveo is a good value, fun to drive car that you can fix yourself. As a group we are all helpful and friendly, if you didnt come in with your "attacking" posts you might get more helpful responses.
      I am sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I posted a link to what I thought was reputable info. Didn't attack anyone here, although the response from some was attacking me, but hey that's OK

Since you ask:
      My aveo has been in the shop too many times to count. Mostly for the check engine light. They have told me it is a different "sensor" each time so it is a different fix, therefore I cannot claim lemom law. One time was an exhaust one and another time it was a throttle sensor. another time it was something else. through this Chevy has been less than cooperative, not offering a loaner, keeping the car overnight so they can "cold" test it. I bought the car new so it wouldn't be in the shop. I need the car to get to work and without a loaner I am stuck. also the MPG isn't that good for a car this size, like 30 average. My friend's honda accord gets 29 average and it is twice the size.

I know it is entry level, but I expect it to work and not have to be in the shop. When I started googling the Aveo, I found a lot of negative stuff. I posted here thinking it was an informational place, not an Aveo lovers only forum. Sorry if that offended people here, I didn't try to do it in that fashion. But I think you should tell people all of the information

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Is the code for the check engine list the same every time? (probably not if they are throwing sensors at it).

But here we have an incompetent dealership and you are blaming the car. If the car was not fixed the FIRST time, ( i don't know how much time you have between visits light coming back on) but most GOOD reputable dealerships would fix it right the second time, this is what i just said "not every gm mechanic can fix the aveo" its a daewoo.

I'm not attacking you for blaming the car, the dealership probably even has you believing its the cars fault and not them, while carefully approaching their repair behind the scenes so its not a lemon (i've been there) but this is definitely the dealers fault for not being able to service you. I am guessing you are now out of the 36k 3 year warranty? It should entitle you to a loaner car if you are still in it.. I got one when my fuel pump died, it was a cobalt, i hated it.

Thanks
      petrified.rabbit:

you seem to be a reasonable person and present your questions in a nice way. I agree the dealer is partially at fault, but GM stands behind their dealers. I can't get any satisfaction from them. They told me it was a dealer choice to give a loaner or not. And yes they said it was different codes so now i am out of warranty and I feel i was strung along until that point. This is what drove me to start reasearching as I said, and I found mostly complaints and negative info.

As for CR and JD, say what you will ,but I bet if the Aveo won any praise from them Chevy would put it in the advertisement like the other car manufactureres do.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      thats because the dealers on get paid back for the loaner on flat rate time, not loss of use (wait for parts).

i think 6 hours flat rate is what a dealer uses to give a demo. I always argue to get the loaner if im going to need it, i got on for my fuel pump it took 10 days to get one from korea.

In you situation i would try another dealer, might not be easy in your area, even after gm closed half the dealerships in our area i still have over a dozen in a 30 minute radius. But i think if you found someone who could fix the car so you can get to drive it, its not as bad as you seem to think.

cr and jd are not car people, maybe 1 in 20 american are, and 1 in 200 (making up my own statistics) are able to fix most thing on a car.. even fewer can actually diagnose and such with a vast knowledge of cars.. cr and jd market to the other 19 out of 20 people who "dont know" or "dont care" JD at least hires someone to look at the car, CR has written reviews on car without ever seeing one in person. Neither of them go beyond a basic first impression like Car and driver, or some other CAR magazine reviews. JD power is often survey based. Did i get a survey aboutthe aveo? Did you? Anyone else here? not wonder its not a top pick.. When i bought my audi, I got a jd power survey in the mail FROM audi, with a $5 bill stapled to to to pay me for my time to fill it out to let them know how satisfied i am with the car.. I have heard JD accepts "informal" and 3rd party reviews too, not sure if that is true, but if toyota and honda send in 3000 surveys, and gm sends in 100 whose going to win?

my take.

good luck with your car.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJunk View Post
      And yes they said it was different codes so now i am out of warranty and I feel i was strung along until that point. This is what drove me to start reasearching as I said, and I found mostly complaints and negative info..
      OK, we have some ideas on to help you. Are you mechanically inclined? Do you feel like you can do your own work? If not, do you have anybody locally you can trust? Get a code reader and arm your self with knowledge: Amazon.com: Actron CP9125 PocketScan Code Reader: Automotive is just an example. I have a more expensive version of the same thing that allows me to reset and get rid of the check engine light.

1) you can fix the car yourself and lower your overall cost of ownership and get it fixed correctly.
      2) Go ahead sell the car yourself to get the best price (don't trade it in!)
      3) Go to a trusted non-gm mechanic and get your car right.

Pick a plan and let's get you satisfied with your car. Option 2 is just a valid way of being "satisfied" What would you like to do?
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJunk View Post
      thehunterooo is right, i don't know much about cars. If I did I probably wouldn't have bought an Aveo. I am trying to learn more now.

aveoSS: I was trying to help inform others about the Aveo, I didn't know this you could only post love for the Aveo on this site. Is that like a dictatorship? When I began having a lot of problems with the Aveo I began researching it and found alot in the internet including this site. Thought I would share, but I guess CR and JD are unreliable. Wonder how they stay in business. As for trade in, I tried to trade on a new VW Jetta, but the dealers kind of laughed at the Aveo as a trade, seriously, that is wht people think of an Aveo.
      If ur here to learn about ur car, u don't start ur post with 'AVEO, ONE OF THE 7 JUNKERS OF THE CAR WORLD'...Just a little advise...
      Plenty of people in here not in 'LOVE' with the Aveo, just here for help with keeping their car running properly. I love my car but that does not mean I think its the best car in the world, I've sayd plenty of times I would trade it in a heart beat for a FIT. Another time people that don't own a Versa started bashing on it and I got on them, I own one, I know what I'm talking about....It seems like ur car is a 'Lemon', even if you can't claim it as one. I had a Focus, was a lemon, had a explorer, was a lemon, still I don't go to those forums and bash either one, when asked, I state my opinion, and I may ad I would own either again, as there are good Focus and Explorers out there. The Aveo has its short falls as any other car, cars that cost hundrets of thousands have short falls, so to ask much for a economy box is kind of a ridiculous, its basic transportation and thats it. As far as JD and CR, how they stay in business? How u think the braind dead bimbo Paris Hilton has show? Its America man...
      I strongly suggest u save some cash and get another car, once a car becames a headache its time to let it go. As far as the VW dealer laugh at ur Aveo, I guess they don't need a sale, Look for another dealer. VW's are great just know the parts/service is very expensive and they don't get the best MPG either, unless u get a TDI.
      Last edited by AveoSS; 11-10-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
      AveoSS:

Not sure why you think I should just "shut up" about my aveo and save some money for a new car. That is the beauty of the internet....information, good bad or indifferent.
      I did save money and bought an Aveo. Had problems. dealer and GM strung me along. so I should just suck it up? Why, because you don't bash vehicles that you had prolems with? I think you have a "know it all" attitude and a "it's my way or the highway" attitude. You keep telling me what to do and how to act. Is this a complex? Take petrified.rabbit, he asked things politely and we had conversation. Thats what I thought forums were for. I didn't write the article I posted..soo

BTW it was a 2010 TDI i was trying to buy. Great discount and financing, just can't get anything for the Aveo. Hard to sell myself with all of the bad press like the article saying avoid the Aveo. Thats what its all about.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Never say for u to shut up, 'remember our first ammendment' could not cares less what u do either, just responding to ur post.
      I don't like what u posted. therefor I responded, u don't like my responce, thats fine u have the opportunity to respond back...just know you bash someones car u gonna hear it back.
      Again, starting a post with 'AVEO IS CRAP' and having a name like AVEOJUNK does not seem very friendly or constructive, DOES ANYONE ELSE HERE REALIZE THAT?
      When someone visits this forum for the first time or do a search it will came up, MAKING THE AVEO LOOK LIKE ****, HOWS THAT CONSTRUCTIVE? seems down right bad attitude to me. Rabbit was nice to you after u sayd his car is crap, good for him! Well, I won't!
      Sorry I don't feel simpaty for ur troubles.

Let me change my name to 'AVEOTURD' or maybe 'AVEOTRASHCAR' and see if anyone here will be offended or just embrace me with open arms...
      Anyone here gonna back me up on this?
      Last edited by AveoSS; 11-10-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Wow, I keep trying to respond on my phone but it is not working, take it easy aveoss. You must understand that most people hate the aveo when they never driven it or know the first thing about it, and it gets to us, so we do not tolerate much here as you can see. The aveo gets a bad rep just because it is part daewoo, and most people in the usa hate daewoo, just how it is. Sorry if I was blunt but I have dealt with too many hateful people. We can help you troubleshoot your problems.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast