•  
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 clunkers to avoid

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      it seems like they drive an aveo...but I doubt they know much about cars regardless

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the problem with this is its a "research" article, they just repeat what others think..

is the aveo one of the safest on the road, no. its small, light, etc. Its not going to hit head on with a suburban and be undamaged. But its small, pay attention to the road and turn so you dont hit the suburban..

i like that depreciation is on there.. an aveo costs less than the average depreciation of the other cars.

Heres my big problem with reviews like this.. not only because its titled 7 cars to avoid, they lose theit train of thought, and only list 5. But they list the gmc canyon and chevy colorado separately, they are them same truck! And the h3 is as well but it is not on the list.. The sebring convertible AND sedan are also listed separately.. so of the 7 in the title, the 5 listed they have 3 cars.

the other two are terrible i agree.. should the aveo be on that list? they dont list their criteria for each individual car (what they found)..

it seems poor people who are forced to buy cheap cars have more time to complain about them to consumer reports and such. another thing is "if it falls on three of the lists" well what are the 34 least reliable cars? how many cars are made in a model year? 34 sounds like half.. where does the aveo fall on that list? etc..

Thanks
      Articles like that are all about exaggerated headlines and getting eyeballs. Not much more.

And on the topic of Aveo depreciation, you're right on, rabbit: the percentage amount they drop may be high, but they're so inexpensive to start with, the dollar amount is less, and that's what matters most to people.

Aveo comes up on other comparisons quite well, even considering depreciation. I've seen the Aveo on top of one list of "least expensive cars to own" that factor in all costs: depreciation, insurance, repairs, fuel. Can't find the link now, of course...

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo View Post
      it seems like they drive an aveo...but I doubt they know much about cars regardless
      Well, if they drive a Aveo and hate it, instead of bashing it on a forum for people that 'LOVE' Aveos, here some options:
      Sell the Aveo and buy something better, can't afford it? well, that is ur fault, go get a better job or work more hours...
      Sell the Aveo and buy a bicycle, can't ride a bike to work cose its far? find a closer job...
      Sell the Aveo and walk to work, too far to walk? get a ride with ur friend... don't have any friends? I'm not surprised! LOL

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      Aveo comes up on other comparisons quite well, even considering depreciation. I've seen the Aveo on top of one list of "least expensive cars to own" that factor in all costs: depreciation, insurance, repairs, fuel. Can't find the link now, of course...
      Found it! "Hybrids Don't Shine in True Cost To Own Study" Green Car Advisor

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoSS View Post
      Well, if they drive a Aveo and hate it, instead of bashing it on a forum for people that 'LOVE' Aveos, here some options:
      Sell the Aveo and buy something better, can't afford it? well, that is ur fault, go get a better job or work more hours...
      Sell the Aveo and buy a bicycle, can't ride a bike to work cose its far? find a closer job...
      Sell the Aveo and walk to work, too far to walk? get a ride with ur friend... don't have any friends? I'm not surprised! LOL
      thehunterooo is right, i don't know much about cars. If I did I probably wouldn't have bought an Aveo. I am trying to learn more now.

aveoSS: I was trying to help inform others about the Aveo, I didn't know this you could only post love for the Aveo on this site. Is that like a dictatorship? When I began having a lot of problems with the Aveo I began researching it and found alot in the internet including this site. Thought I would share, but I guess CR and JD are unreliable. Wonder how they stay in business. As for trade in, I tried to trade on a new VW Jetta, but the dealers kind of laughed at the Aveo as a trade, seriously, that is wht people think of an Aveo.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJunk View Post
      thehunterooo is right, i don't know much about cars. If I did I probably wouldn't have bought an Aveo. I am trying to learn more now.
      that is the most constructive thing I have heard you say...therefore I will retract my picking. No more picking on AveoJunk. Cars are a funny business. There is a lot of hearsay, hard evidence, feelings, opinions and love for cars to distract and sway anybody. I personally have had a love hate relationship with my own cars for over 27 years. One moment, I am hating it and the next it's the best thing to sliced bread.

Here is a few of the things I like about the Aveo:
      1) It's cheap
      2) It's cheap to fix or mod
      3) It's actually a good looking small car (I think the 2010 is sweat looking).
      4) It's so light, brakes last forever

Here is a few of things I don't like:
      1) The interior is cheap. The carpet is fuzzing like mad and there is sound protection. Did I mention cheap?
      2) Shifting is a little sloppy.
      3) Gas millage is way under what it could and should be. I get 31-32 when I would rather have 36+

I have owned two 1972 beetles, 1 ford ranger, and now my aveo. Granted it's not a great car, but I don't have to invest a lot of capitol in upkeep. Right now my ranger is giving me fits. I had replaced the engine professionally, and I spent 6 grand for that and a lot of replacement parts. I am super pissed at my engine guy and not real happy about it. Do I hate my truck? No. I just hate to drive it. Now I spent 2/3 fixing up my truck (still don't have the power it should) for the cost of my 2006 aveo. Considering the price target and the value I get, I am super happy with the Aveo.

Is the Aveo the worst car in the world? No. Is it the best car in the world? No. Am I am happy with the money spent on the aveo? Yes!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoJunk View Post

aveoSS: I was trying to help inform others about the Aveo, I didn't know this you could only post love for the Aveo on this site. Is that like a dictatorship? When I began having a lot of problems with the Aveo I began researching it and found alot in the internet including this site. Thought I would share, but I guess CR and JD are unreliable. Wonder how they stay in business. As for trade in, I tried to trade on a new VW Jetta, but the dealers kind of laughed at the Aveo as a trade, seriously, that is wht people think of an Aveo.
      Can i ask, without you just attacking and saying "the aveo is crap" what is wrong with yours? Also what is the history of the car? how much did you pay for i and where did you get it? tell us about it, what you were hoping for or expecting, etc..

If you think you'll get top dollar for trading in you aveo, you need to remember it IS the cheapest car in america, and even though most of us like it for what it is, we know its typically an entry level or cheap commuter car.

I dont know how much trouble you have had with your car specifically, but mine has only broken down twice in 25k+ miles. I've owned many cars, a lot of more expensive cars including vws, audis, etc.. As far as my experience the aveo is as reliable as most new cars if you have someone who knows how to work on it (not every gm mechanic can even though it is badged gm).

I think the consensus here is the aveo is a good value, fun to drive car that you can fix yourself. As a group we are all helpful and friendly, if you didnt come in with your "attacking" posts you might get more helpful responses.

As for JD power, and Consumer reports:

consumer reports just spits out figures of complaints. Now, does everyone with a car that breaks down complain? NO, it also seems that other dealerships have a better ability to appease the customers, GM on the other hand it really depends on the dealerships. Some are so big that they dont care for the little guy with the cheap car.

JD power is fully based on first impression, and while that is important, it is really not a view of ownership. It is also really hard to give the aveo a decent review for what it is when you just got out of a $70k car (or similar). Think about it, its like going to a 5 star hotel and then staying in the ecolodge.
      Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 11-10-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by screech985 View Post
      Aveojunk, your best bet is to just go to another site (try a Honda Fit forum) and post your views about how the aveo is junk. I've had mine for 6 years now and it gets its fair share of beatings but when you know how to take care of something and give it proper maintenance, any car will last. Its all really just how much work your willing to put into it. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just stating what i think.
      Like I said, I have started researching the Aveo and found a lot of info. Why would you tell me to go on a Honda fit forum to post about it? that doesn't make sense.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I personally think I need to read my posts several more times before posting. Even though I use FireFox to help my spelling, I often use the wrong words. Sweat should be sweet! Sound protection should be NO sound protection....

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast