•  

Thread: Longtime Owner, New Member

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Longtime Owner, New Member

Hey. My name's Matt. I bought my '05 hatchback new, in September of 2005, because I got run into a barrier and bent the front spindle on my Jeep. It was old and tired and I had a long commute, so I figured it was an appropriate time to get something more fuel-efficient that didn't stall getting off the interstate, and that didn't trail a cloud of smoke from the oil that was leaking on the exhaust. I figured this thing would get my by for 150k, maybe 200k miles, and the price was low enough that I wouldn't feel bad if it died at 100k miles and I had to junk it. Well damn was I ever mistaken. I love this stupid thing. I can move 8' boards without having to go home and get my truck. With the back seat out, it's basically a mini truck anyway, and the seats lie so flat that sleeping in a rest area is actually comfortable. It's bare bones, relatively easy to work on, and it just keeps going. I don't know what I'm going to do when it dies, short of trying to find another one.

Now, just shy of 400,000 miles later, and the clutch is finally going to get done. It's been a little slippery for a couple years now, but I don't have to navigate hills too often. I figure it's time to get this job finished before winter hits.

Anyway, that's what led me to the forum. I've done trucks and stuff before, but never a passenger car. Should be fun. I do have the GM manual, but I figured getting in here and doing some reading would make things a little smoother.

Glad to be here, and hopefully with this resource I'll crack the 0.5M miles barrier.

Thanks
      Welcome to the site Matt!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Glad to have you here. If you do swap your clutch, take pictures as I might be needing it done too!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by meiermat View Post
      Hey. My name's Matt. I bought my '05 hatchback new, in September of 2005, because I got run into a barrier and bent the front spindle on my Jeep. It was old and tired and I had a long commute, so I figured it was an appropriate time to get something more fuel-efficient that didn't stall getting off the interstate, and that didn't trail a cloud of smoke from the oil that was leaking on the exhaust. I figured this thing would get my by for 150k, maybe 200k miles, and the price was low enough that I wouldn't feel bad if it died at 100k miles and I had to junk it. Well damn was I ever mistaken. I love this stupid thing. I can move 8' boards without having to go home and get my truck. With the back seat out, it's basically a mini truck anyway, and the seats lie so flat that sleeping in a rest area is actually comfortable. It's bare bones, relatively easy to work on, and it just keeps going. I don't know what I'm going to do when it dies, short of trying to find another one.

Now, just shy of 400,000 miles later, and the clutch is finally going to get done. It's been a little slippery for a couple years now, but I don't have to navigate hills too often. I figure it's time to get this job finished before winter hits.

Anyway, that's what led me to the forum. I've done trucks and stuff before, but never a passenger car. Should be fun. I do have the GM manual, but I figured getting in here and doing some reading would make things a little smoother.

Glad to be here, and hopefully with this resource I'll crack the 0.5M miles barrier.
      Welcome aboard and HOLY CRAP, That's a LOT of Miles! I think its High time we made an Aveo High Mileage Club!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2010AveoLT For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (08-15-2015)

Should I keep it? Merlins_Holden's Avatar
      Thanks
      My clutch is not so hot after 85,000 miles , but then again, I have not been the only owner. I would also like to see some photos if you do this job on your Aveo.