•  

Thread: Recently pick up my first Aveo, a 2004 Hatch

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Recently pick up my first Aveo, a 2004 Hatch

Hi everybody.

Contrary to what is probably standard, I have always been a fan of the little Aveo.

A few weeks ago, the transmission in my girlfriends 1995 Range Rover died quite unexpectedly, forcing me to look for a cheap set of wheels for work (as my girlfriend now needed to drive my car, a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix).

I wound up with a 2004 Aveo hatch. It's got 177k miles, a 5 speed, sunroof, keyless entry, a bad driver side wheel bearing, low oil pressure and one hell of a robust oil pan gasket leak.

What can I say, it was the best car I could get for $750.

Either way, I've fitted a manual oil gauge (since the oil light was on constantly at hot idle). It did have weak oil pressure (I'm sure the mains are wallered out). I changed the oil, which looked very strange. I put in three quarts of synthetic blend 10w-40, and a quart of Lucas oil treatment (snake oil, I know, but at this point, I think I'm on borrowed time as it is). Despite basically putting a dollar store band-aid on what probably equates to a gunshot wound, my oil pressure did improve both on the freeway and at idle.

At some point, I need to drop the oil pan, and re-do the pan gasket. Lets just say this thing has free rust-proofing for life.

I think I also need a new torque strut, and probably some other front end parts.

Seeing as how I'm not entirely sure how much time I have with the current engine, I snagged and made to work, what appear to be almost brand new spark plug wires from a junkyard Suzuki Forenza.

All things considered, this little Aveo is ridiculously good on gas, and is actually decently comfortable for me, considering I'm 6'4" and over 300lbs.

Name:  Aveo.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  89.5 KB

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Do you know when the last time the timing belt and water pump have been done? If not, I would assume the belt and pump are a ticking time bomb and change them right away.

Thanks
      Negative, but I have given the timing belt a through visual once over, and it looks alright. There were no cracks or obvious damage or any chunks out of it. It is definitely on my list of things that need to be done.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      The timing belt isn't the part that usually fails, from what I understand. It's usually one of the plastic pulleys that breaks apart and causes the problem.

Thanks
      Ahh. Well, I'll make the timing belt priority then. That's one thing I like about this Aveo...parts are dirt cheap.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I'm not understanding why you would spend any time and money on timing belt parts, pan gasket, or anything else related to the engine for that matter. (although you can probably slow the oil leak simply by tightening the pan bolts). Why not just look for the best priced decent engine available and skip the band aids for the one that's in there now? If you want to confirm which way to go, do a compression and leak down test.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      I'm not understanding why you would spend any time and money on timing belt parts, pan gasket, or anything else related to the engine for that matter. (although you can probably slow the oil leak simply by tightening the pan bolts). Why not just look for the best priced decent engine available and skip the band aids for the one that's in there now? If you want to confirm which way to go, do a compression and leak down test.
      I already re-torqued the oil pan bolts. It made very little difference.

And yes, that thought had occurred to me to just find a low mileage engine. That still may very well occur.

As of right now though, space to work, and money are limited (Spent what I had in savings on this, and a $192 speeding ticket three days later ) so I'm just working with what I have. Besides, a pan gasket is nothing more than a fine bead of blakc RTV, (which I have plenty of).

Also, what I would have in a used engine and a new timing set (because it would be stupid to not replace the timing set while it's out) I would have in making this engine decently healthy again.

Thanks
      Be very careful, change timing belt ASAP. I had one with only 60,000 miles, timing belt went and totaled the engine.