•  

Thread: New aveo owner

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

New aveo owner

My name is Amy, and I live in Mansfield Ohio. My mom gave me her 2006 aveo 5 today, it needs a lot of work but I can handle it. It has 93,000 miles on it, a lot of new parts have been installed already. I look forward to learning about this cool little car.

Name:  $$$$$-aveo1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  212.1 KB

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      I'm puzzled that you say "lots of parts already installed and a lot of work left to go", with only 93K. Can you post a summary of what's already been done, and what's left to go on with this Aveo, beyond standard maintenance items such as brakes, tires, battery, etc?

Thanks
      Welcome to the forum, Amy!

Great colour. Is that an actual pic of the car? How come you trailered it?

Don't forget to make a garage page: Garage empty: add car

Darin

Thanks
      So far my mom has had all of the following done to it.
      wheel bearings, brakes, tires, battery, timing belt, plug wires, spark plugs, intake gasket, serpentine belt, and a few other things I can't remember.

That at is an actual picture of the car, it had to be towed because the rack and pinion rotted out and it will not hold power steering fluid. It needs the ac fixed, for some reason it's not holding freon. Needs a whole new exhaust system, and the radio does not work, and the moonroof does not open. It has been driven the last nine years in salt, so there is a lot of damage to the underneath of the car.

Thanks
      That's quite an unhappy to-do list. Is this going to be DIY? If not, you're looking at up to 2K (or more), depending on how much of the AC system needs to be repaired. Have you considered just going without AC? (but check to make sure the pulley spins freely). My '05 has no AC and I live in a similar climate to yours. Yep, there are a few tough days each year, but consider that 60 years ago everyone, including people living in places like Florida, survived by rolling down the windows. The other thing you might do is get a second opinion on the exhaust system. My Aveo had a rust hole in the muffler pipe that connects to the mid pipe. I replaced the muffler a couple years ago and the rest of the exhaust system is still hanging in there, even though every square inch of it is covered with rust. One very important thing is that the plastic thermostat housing has been replaced by a metal one, but most likely that has already been done.

Thanks
      My husband is a retired Gm mechanic, and I have been working on cars for about 8 years, we have done all kinds of work on newer cars which saves us a lot of money. I hardly ever use the air honestly, but my husband likes a good challenge lol! The radio is a must have for me, after we get the power steering fixed that is next on the list. I am glad I found this forum, seems like a lot of good info on here.

Thanks
      I forgot to mention, the engine harness got chewed up by chipmunks so we are replacing the whole engine harness with a brand new Gm replacement.

Thanks
      Nice to see a couple that likes to wrench together.

Rust bites! I wondered about that when I saw the bottom corner of the door. I deal with it in most of the second hand cars I've had as well.

I'd go for radio before A/C too, but some people just can't handle the heat. Heck, I'd go for fixing the moonroof before the A/C too. I'm trying to remember the last sunroof car I owned, but I think it had a manual crank on it. That's probably not what's wrong with yours.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Trplxl2 View Post
      My husband is a retired Gm mechanic, and I have been working on cars for about 8 years ...
      Well then this Aveo is in great hands and should be like new in a few months!

What's wrong with my car? jamelar's Avatar
      Thanks
      If you want to replace the stock radio with another, eBay usually has some listings quite reasonable. Of course, all this is assuming the problem is with the radio itself and not the external wiring or antenna.