•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About 2B Aveo owner????

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

About 2B Aveo owner????

I am new to the forum and will be grateful for any advice on my pending purchase of a 2010 Aveo LT 5spd model RTD69 base sedan. Vin # KL1TD5DE9AB058058, Manufactured 12-22-2009, Bupyeong, Korea. The Aveo is located 7-8 hour drive from Kansas City' MO. With 22k miles the history shows that the recal for degraded ignition was closed 5-1-13. The 36k bumper to bumper 3year warranty expired 8-14-2013. At 9,312 miles(5-23-2012) the "boot and plug" was replaced. Can someone tell me what that component is? What also worries me is that at 20,823 mi {5-28-13} the "front lower control arm bushings-both sides" were replaced. Would such a procedure indicate abuse-driving on rural washboard roads- or is it an inherent problem with 2010 Aveos? Are there any other supension problems or other components that I need to have checked BEFORE i buy this car? The dealer asking price is $8.9k. I plan to own this car for at least 6 years for use in KC and AZ. I will be using 5-30 Mobil 1 and the heavy duty Wix # 30387-07111765 air filter, also the Napa Gold #7674 oil filter. Any advice on what to look for on this 2010 LT would be very much appreciated, I'm not sure i can do much more that change oil and filters, but i am eager to learn to do preventive maintenance on this red Aveo or any vehicle that i buy, Thank you!.

Last edited by kcROB; 10-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I ve got an 09 and have only needed O2 sensors. Anything else I have changed was because I wanted to. With a short ram intake, and 2" exhaust I was getting 37 mpg if I didnt drive with a heavy foot. Good luck on your purchase.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      "Boot and Plug" is the spark plugs and boot/wire. Possibly under a recall. And the "front lower control arm bushings" is pretty common on our cars I believe. That was probably a warranty item. I'd actually rather see that the previous owner had enough sense and concern to take it in and know something wasn't right.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      it seems like most cars get something replaced under warrenty. The only "more common" replacement on the 09+ seems to be the primary o2 sensor. A few people have had an item here or there, but that is just little issues with parts, not any proven problem to be bad like the plug recall.

The things I can specify to look at are the clutch feel, the aveo is not equipped with a heavy duty clutch and a lot of people do not know how to drive a clutch properly. look at the strut mounts in the engine compartment, more than 3/8" gap means wear.. list for any clunking in the suspension. And very if there was ever an accident. Most other things are just issues that get through.. not major problems on every car.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Seems odd to me to have to change the Lower control arm bushings @ 20,000 miles and being less than 3 years old makes me doubt they could have been dry rotted. However, there could always have been a bad production run. I just replaced the lower control arms on mine (199,000). They still felt good but the rear bushings were dry rotted.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by milesvinson View Post
      Seems odd to me to have to change the Lower control arm bushings @ 20,000 miles and being less than 3 years old makes me doubt they could have been dry rotted. However, there could always have been a bad production run. I just replaced the lower control arms on mine (199,000). They still felt good but the rear bushings were dry rotted.
      milesvinson, Greatly appreciate your intell! What are or where are the strut mounts under the hood? Also, if the lower control arm busings needed to be replaced, would the stuts (shocks?) need to be replace also? Thank you! Robert

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Man View Post
      I ve got an 09 and have only needed O2 sensors. Anything else I have changed was because I wanted to. With a short ram intake, and 2" exhaust I was getting 37 mpg if I didnt drive with a heavy foot. Good luck on your purchase.
      Pooh Man, how would one know when the 02 sensor needs to be replaced, and where on the engine is it located? I appreciate your respomse. Robert

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      "Boot and Plug" is the spark plugs and boot/wire. Possibly under a recall. And the "front lower control arm bushings" is pretty common on our cars I believe. That was probably a warranty item. I'd actually rather see that the previous owner had enough sense and concern to take it in and know something wasn't right.
      PoisonIvy, You are correct, "Boot and Plug" was replacement of sparkplugs and wires as per recall # 2011290 which expired 5-31-2013. The previous owner was a gentleman from India who no doubt, worked hard to buy the car and was concened about proper maintenance. As his family grew, he traded the 2010 Aveo in on a Honda minivan. Thanks for your insights. Robert

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      a bad o2 sensor would throw a check engine light, it is located on the front of the engine right on the exhaust manifold.

strut mounts are on the towers next to the fender about the wheels, they are black/gray circles. you want to see how high above the metal tower they sit.

Thanks
      I'm putting pencil to paper in order to make a fair and reasonable offer on the 2010 Aveo LT described in my first post. Would anyone care to guesstimate the depreciation on a 2009-2011 Aveo by end of 2013? I am certain it would be > depreciation of a Rio, Focus, or Yaris. The IA dealer's asking $8.9k which I believe is a bit too high considering the lateness in the year and the soon changing weather. My guess is the dealer has had the LT since mid-late Aug 2013. Thanks to all! Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast