•  
    Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Aveo E-tec II Underdrive Lightweight Crankshaft Pulley (2004 - 2008)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I installed the pulley about 2000 miles ago and I was getting about 4 mpg better when using the A/C extensively and about 2 when going open windows. I have a CAI installed and just installed larger tires on it and the pulley makes a difference. There is no significant increases in vibration that I can feel but it has helped make the car feel more like a gocart and take the fear out of pulling out into traffic with the A/C on. Its easy to install and in my opinion, it really cant hurt to install something better on that car. When I took the old pulley off and compared the two it was amazing the difference and it only took me 30min to do it. (Only because Im used to pulling out the finder to get to the air filter). Do note, I live in Florida with humidity in the 60-80% and average temperature in the high 80s to low 90's for most of the data that I collected. Its going to very with your driving area.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      An improvement of 4mpg is pretty nice. If you don't mind my asking do you remember what you were at before, and what your mileage is after? I'm just trying to get a feel for how much it will improve my driving conditions where I already get 33mpg mixed hwy/city.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the underdrive aspect of this is gong help to mileage "tremendously" as far as a modification goes.

for instance, if it takes 15% of the engine power to run the accessories (that number is pretty close to the aveo actual, would be much much less on a bigger hp car). The reduction in size of the pulley is a "direct" reduction of that loss..

So for the sake of simple math this might not be 100% accurate sounding in explanation because of simplification. But the 100 hp aveo engine, loses approximately 15 hp running the accessories. With the 15% reduction in size, there is suddenly 2.25hp "free" to help move the car. And that is just due to size, not weight. That 2.25hp (with the sake of simple math) is a 2.25% increase in efficiency.

I am not going to get into the weight, inertia is good for maintaining rpm without gas. (less weight will drop to idle faster is coasting for mpg).
      It also takes less force to accelerate.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Dont´wanna meke for Ecotec 1.6L?....

It´s a good mod...

I has one of this in a GA16, whith JWT alumunium flywheel, an the performance was good...

Im planing, a better compose in the clutch, whith a light wheight reduction, excuse my bad english please!!...

Thanks
      I'd be willing to design one if there were enough people interested and I had someone to work with that has a 1.6 ecotec. It was easy to design the etec pulley since that is the engine my Aveo has.

Thanks
      Started a group buy thread for a pulley for the the Ecotec 1.6L (2009-2011):

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f104/...11-aveo-12571/

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tapeworm_george View Post
      Inline 4 engines are naturally balanced whereas v8 engines need external balancing to run properly. The primary function of harmonic dampeners and engine balancing for inline 4 engines is to reduce the amount of vibration that is experienced within the car. Removing a balancer or lightening pulleys/flywheels shouldn't be a problem in the sense that you are worried about. There are drawbacks though, and they will be the same as a lightened flywheel in that the car will stall much more easily and will have more trouble maintaining engine speed up a hill without more throttle input.

If the pulley is balancing, i agree...

If design a kit, wiht hydraulic steering pulley reduced this free more power, an other more big to alternator, this make the alternator chage normal...

excuse my bad english please...

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by tapeworm_george View Post
      Can anyone report on changes in fuel economy? I don't have any interest in making my Aveo a fast car, I've been there and done that with other platforms but better gas mileage is always of interest to me if the mod can pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time. When I tried to figure out what it would take for this to pay for itself using $3.50/gallon and an improvement of 2.5mpg I came out to a super rough estimate of 17,000 miles to break even. Now I understand that most of the people that have installed this pulley are not installing it for improvements in economy and therefore are probably also not driving their cars to maximize fuel mileage but I was just wondering if anyone had some numbers that might be reasonably accurate.
      if you want economy ma be this gauhe can help you...

WatchDog<sup>TM</sup> Multi-function Performance Gauge

I'll keep it and add a turbo Troy's Avatar
      Thanks
      How much for postage to Australia?

Thanks
      It would likely be an additional $5-10.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast