•  
    Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Daug's 2008 aveo5 sv build thread.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      So an update kind of.

I walked out about 3 nights ago to get into my aveo and head to the store. Stepped on something in the road and instead of following my urge to simply kick it out of the way, I picked it up. It looked like the back of a mirror. Looked at my driver's mirror and sure enough it was folded backwards (they actually can do that with out damaging anything thankfully) and the mirror was missing plastic backing and all. I called the police and while waiting for them I picked up the pieces of my mirror and popped the backing into place. This was of course after checking for paint transfer of wich there was none so it did not matter if I cleaned up or moved anything.

A couple days of scary traffic merges later I went to the dealership and got a quote on a new mirror. For the standard aveo mirror without heat, is $20.07 +tax! I had them order one and picked it up the next day. Installation is quite literally a snap.

I'm still upset that my mirror got hit and the person didn't stop to make things right, but at least it was a cheap fix.

If anyone wants before and after pics, just grab a thin pry and carefully pop your mirror out, there is the b4 and when you snap it back in you have the after. It's too cold to take pics right now lol.

http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      At USF, one of my last weeks, I walked out to see my driver mirror also bent back the wrong way, nothing was broken though (prob some punk knocked into it). I think that is the worse place to park though, I have gotten two more dents as well lol

Can you get a ticket if you are missing a side mirror while driving?

Thanks
      In my area as long as you have one mirror you are fine. That actually bothers me. I think the Drivers mirror should be required, and either the middle mirror or passenger mirror. The drivers mirror is irreplaceable in my opinion.

That said, knowing the law, I am thinking more about removing the middle mirror, as it is the least useful for me.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      In Iowa you can get a fix-it ticket now for not having a rear-view (center) mirror.

BTW, where in IA are you located?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      most states that i have seen, say drivers side and middle. but you can avoid having the middle if you have a passenger side. but it seems you should have at least 2 mirrors. (the middle can be missing because its useless in box trucks, panel vans (without back windows) etc. so they made the law so those cars are legal, but the rest of use use the loop hole.

Thanks
      i like the loop hole.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Just wish my hit and run was that simple. My whole door skin is dented in because of some negligent a..hole.

Thanks
      wow that sucks. Hopefully you can find a new door or get it fixed some other way for cheap.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by XJ Casper View Post
      Just wish my hit and run was that simple. My whole door skin is dented in because of some negligent a..hole.
      Yeah, that's not cool. One day, my car was in the garage, and I was pulling out the mower. I thought that I had enough room on one side. I thought wrong. I ended up scrapping the mower handle along my rear driver side door, which left this indent in the door. Oh well, s**t happens. Plus, on the bright side, it's not really that noticeable in most lighting situations & angles. Besides, I think you'd have to be superly anal to find it quickly if I don't point out the general area to you.

But it's worse when someone else screws up your car and can't man up to it. It doesn't matter what kind of damage was done. That crap is irritating.

Thanks
      agreed

but that message is too short so I had to add this line to make certain it is at least 10 characters.

2008 Aveo5 SV

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast