•  
    Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daug's 2008 aveo5 sv build thread.

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks

Daug's 2008 aveo5 sv build thread.

Thought this would be a good place to post my little projects and fixes tha I will be doing over the years. Should help keep forum clutter down.

If I feel that anything I do is new and original, or at least worthy of a how-to, then I will post it in the appropriate forum. But for now, I'm calling this my build thread.

I will update this post with pictures of my car, along with the list of mods I have done, as I do them.

For now it's just a stock aveo5 sv with factory rims.

Tires are 195/60/14 I wanted a wider tire to make for a smoother ride, for a cheap and quick option, this works quite well. The tire is noticeably larger, but not bad.

I removed The resonator box under the passenger fender. I enjoy the sound the car makes under acceleration. This proved to be a simple, easy, and most importantly free mod.

The most recent was the addition of extra ground on my car. See next post.

http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Thanks

Re: Daug's 2008 aveo5 sv build thread.

Ok, here is the ground wire install I have done. It needs a little bit of cleaning up, but It's a start.

This was effectively A free mod, as I used wires from a grounding kit that I bought years ago and never installed.

First Wire I attached was the Alternator.

I used the power steering bracket because It was easiest to reach. This Is just a nut, and I put the ground behind the existing bracket. The wire is tucked in behind the fuel delivery wiring under and behind the plastic cover.

Next I ran a wire to the Block.

This is attached to a portion of the exhaust manifold, in front of a bracket that is pre-existing. I would have preferred behind, but that was not an option due to the size of my connector and the bracket itself.

Then I tied the 2 Engine Grounds to a third wire that made the travel to the Body Ground.

This was to make up the fact that my wire wouldn't quite reach all the way across the motor bay. The body ground cable came apart on my, and I had to re-crimp the wire end. This will be replaced in the future, but works fine for now. (I now have these wires connected to the bolt on the EGR valve. This does make an improvement And I recommend it. it's the silver cylinder with a black top you can see in the picture, I used the bolt closest to the coil pack, the bolt on the other side could be used to hide the wires better.)

Ran the battery connector wire and the engine ground wire under the fuse panel.

I used the existing body ground that attaches directly to the battery.

This connection pretty much doubles what I have for the ground running to the battery. I will update the cable end at a later date for a cleaner install.

In the future I might go ahead and ground the throttle body and the transmission, but those are not necessary, and I already have noticed that my throttle response and idle are greatly improved. I'm not sure about light dimming yet, But will find out as soon as possible.
      Last edited by daug1502; 05-03-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: update on method.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Thanks

Nice build thread. Look forward to seeing more.

BTW I moved the thread into the Photographs and Videos forum. Its where most users have their build threads.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

The transmission ground strap will help the starter circuit. Since the starter only grounded to the tranny with the bell housing bolts. (Would make the starter more efficient.)

I'm not sold on the throttle body, but it would probably be a decent idea since the manifold is plastic.

Thanks

I'd imagine all the TB sensors are grounded via the wire harness.

Thanks

Thanks for letting me know about the move

I didn't think about the Starter when I was doing this. And I'm still working over where to ground the throttle body. There is a lot of plastic in there. Perhaps when I'm bored again and it's not raining or cold I will add a few more grounds. Might ave to add another wire to the body ground since I am using a junction point for all of this. Eventually I will have a crimper, some ends, and a spool of amp cable. Then I will do this project correctly, and with a better gauge of wire.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

I really like what youre doing with the grounding kit. I think it looks very professional!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

You won't gain anything from grounding the throttle body. Theres no power transmission going through it, and even if there was you're talking about 5V logic circuits which don't require massive cable to transmit power. 20 gauge wire works fine for em.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      I really like what youre doing with the grounding kit. I think it looks very professional!
      lol, I'm just throwing it in there honestly. Some tucking is being done just so I know I can. When I get around to Doing it clean then things should hopefully look stock. Thank you for the comments though
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daox
      You won't gain anything from grounding the throttle body. Theres no power transmission going through it, and even if there was you're talking about 5V logic circuits which don't require massive cable to transmit power. 20 gauge wire works fine for em.
      The throttle response was improved via the ground I have already added. I think the ground I placed on the alternator bracket helped, since it's close by. I will look it over some more.

The only place i saw to add a ground to the throttle body is directly to the bolt that helps hold the gasket together. I'm not to sold on using this, but might give it a try sometime.

2008 Aveo5 SV

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast