•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road Racing in Little Cars

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Road Racing in Little Cars

I believe subachad is running poly bushings on his bar... don't think the results are that drastic. A thicker swaybar up front and one in the rear would definitely be a welcome addition.

Honestly, though... some proper high rate springs coupled with some "sport" dampeners should do the job... unfortunately I would imagine the dampeners would be more expensive to produce (or at least develop) than the bars.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SGAveoGuy
      Some of you guys were talking of your straight section speeds, and I don't think I could get my top speed over 100 mph on a damn near 1/2 mile straight, 5th gear
      Why are you trying to reach 100 on 5th? with your diameter tires, you can reach 100 in 4th while only at 5500 rpm. Are you just running out of track?? But regardless I still don't understand why you'd shift into 5th beforehand? I think precisionboost or someone on daewootech calculated the optimal shift point from 4-5 would be ~5750 rpm

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtlswift
      Some of you guys were talking of your straight section speeds, and I don't think I could get my top speed over 100 mph on a damn near 1/2 mile straight, 5th gear
      Why are you trying to reach 100 on 5th? with your diameter tires, you can reach 100 in 4th while only at 5500 rpm. Are you just running out of track?? But regardless I still don't understand why you'd shift into 5th beforehand? I think precisionboost or someone on daewootech calculated the optimal shift point from 4-5 would be ~5750 rpm
      I'm coming out of turn 9 dog leg right 3rd gear to the floor. Shifting to 4th out of the corner, after which I still have a half mile. Just before Quarter mile down, I shift to 5th. I'm tapping out every gear, the DAEWOO motor just had nothing left. At Pacific Raceways, you don't have time to look down much at your gauges, shifting etc., is all based on listening to rpm's, so I really don't know where I was at in the range.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtlswift
      I'm coming out of turn 9 dog leg right 3rd gear to the floor. Shifting to 4th out of the corner, after which I still have a half mile. Just before Quarter mile down, I shift to 5th. I'm tapping out every gear, the DAEWOO motor just had nothing left. At Pacific Raceways, you don't have time to look down much at your gauges, shifting etc., is all based on listening to rpm's, so I really don't know where I was at in the range.
      Forgot to mention: @ 6,000 rpm- the motor governs out and goes 'Limp'. Anyone else with this problem? Any fix to this? And don't tell me to put Viagara in the gas tank, I tried. hahaha...

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Yeah after 5500 rpm, it's more efficient to shift than to redline.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Mine spins all the way to 6500... I got my gas pedal stuck under the mat once accidentally. I lifted the pedal to shift but I got the power shift instead.
      I'd be inclined to let it spin out in 4th...

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

6500... right on.
      There is an additional 7 pounds rolling mass per wheel over stock steelie wheels and tires on my setup. Could this be another determination factor of a slightly slower acceleration, leading to a lower overall top speed on the straights? Hmmm, plausible. I need a torque/horsepower to rolling mass/gross weight calculation done for this one. Get crackin'.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Forgot to mention: @ 6,000 rpm- the motor governs out and goes 'Limp'. Anyone else with this problem? Any fix to this? And don't tell me to put Viagara in the gas tank, I tried. hahaha...
      governer is there for a reason, it limps out so you don't break something. youd have to crack the ecu to change that, but without any motor work there is no reason to change it

...also you probably shouldnt run 17's unless they are superlight....that will probably stop excess rubbing.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

...and I thought I bought an F1 super motor! gahdamnit... I wanna be able to break something if I want to, not be rpm limited by some F*ing ecu computer program... That's no fun. As for the 17's, SHUT yer piehole... They're staying. joke

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

At Willow Springs, I could not even top 100. Even exiting turn 8 at 95 which is about as fast as any regular road car can go, I still couldn't top 100 on the straight. My AT Lanos I couldn't go no more than 85 around that turn as I didn't have the experience I do now and it would hit 105 on the straight. Mostly due to aerodynamics I'm sure.

Anyway, other than power my biggest complaint is suspension. Even with the H&R's there is WAY too much body roll. The front tires have to do all the work, with some sways that would be fixed.

Yes I have polyurethane swaybar bushings up front, they are loud when it's cold going over speedbumps, but between them and the front lower brace they make the car very neutral. If I brake and then flick it, I can get the back to rotate quite easily. No way it would do that without those two mods.

Tire/wheel I have 205/50/15 Kumho Ecsta SPT's and some 12 pound Rota Circuit 8's. I picked the combo so it would be lighter than stock and have a lot more grip.

My other complaint for this car on a track is the flex in the chassis. It needs a lot more bracing.

More power, it would need better brakes. I only lost the brakes a couple times my last track day which is not too bad when hard braking from 80 to 35. When I first tested them on a downhill canyon run I was able to get them smoking to the point they wouldn't even slow the car after 3 50-10 MPH consecutive hard brakings. This was with the stock wheels, I suspect the additional airflow with the Rotas will improve that.

Congrats for taking your car out there, it's a lot of fun and the comments are funny too. One guy was all "OOH LOOK A FIT!" Someone else referred to it as "the rental"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast