•  
    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with technical questions

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the lacetti and aveo are not the same car. even the same car with the same transmission will have a switch in a model year, this is to solve problems seen in servicing (do you think the manufacturers want the tranny to break while its under warranty?)

What Motor Oil to Use in Volkswagen TDI Engines

ATF Equivalent for ESSO ATF LT 71141

Does Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Meet the Requirements for ZF Transmissions?

however those same fluids go beyond dex3 standards.

for as much research as saying that dex3 is fine there is as much saying it is not. the oem fluid should last 100k under normal conditions, which we know is not real world, 50k might be too soon. But its probably too long of an interval if your running dex3. ESSO LT71141 is more like type iv fluid than dex3.

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main.../ESSOSpecs.pdf

i'll simplify it, the friction additive in dex3 breaks down at 2-3x the rate of ESSO LT71141, as posted in my propaganda at the top of the page. dex 3 loses friction as it breaks down, ESSO LT71141 breaks down THEN loses friction.

time line of atfs:

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
      look man you don't have to be a jerk. I have my manual on my coffee table right here....here's what it says....

"Notice: Use of automatic transaxle fluid labeled other than ESSO LT71141 or TOTAL ATF H50235 may damage your vehicle, and the damages may not be covered by your warranty. Always use ESSO LT71141 or TOTAL ATF H50235 labeled transaxle fluid"

The numbers you mention above are not in my manual...IN MY MANUAL IT SAYS ESSO LT71141 IS FOR MY AVEO
      Before you go calling anyone names, you need to answer two important questions:

What year is your Aveo?

What size engine is in it?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      2004 1.6L. The issue I have is that the dex III bottles say nothing about being ok to use with the esso. If you want to use it that's fine, but if it doesn't say it on the bottle then I'm not comfortable using it.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post

for as much research as saying that dex3 is fine there is as much saying it is not. the oem fluid should last 100k under normal conditions, which we know is not real world, 50k might be too soon. But its probably too long of an interval if your running dex3. ESSO LT71141 is more like type iv fluid than dex3.

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/main.../ESSOSpecs.pdf

i'll simplify it, the friction additive in dex3 breaks down at 2-3x the rate of ESSO LT71141, as posted in my propaganda at the top of the page. dex 3 loses friction as it breaks down, ESSO LT71141 breaks down THEN loses friction.
      I agree with what you are saying, as it makes sense. Everything I've found also suggests that T-IV is basically Dexron III except that it is partially a synthetic blend. In my case, since I change my ATF fluid rather often and don't wait until it is very worn, the slightly less potent friction additive in Dex III (as opposed to T-IV) isn't going to make much difference. It might not be quite as optimal, but Dex III should be fully compatible.

Incidentally, the formulation of T-IV fluid was the product of Toyota marketing. A search of Dexron on Wikipedia revealed the following: "All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions.[1] Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc and D/M, however, since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated by GM in any way."

In other words, after 2006 you won't find ANY car manufacturer recommending Dexron III. (Certainly not GM, because they went to Dexron 6.) And that basically is the result of the licensing issue.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
      2004 1.6L. The issue I have is that the dex III bottles say nothing about being ok to use with the esso. If you want to use it that's fine, but if it doesn't say it on the bottle then I'm not comfortable using it.
      Read my latest post about the reference to the expiration of licensing on Dex III and also the conclusions mentioned by Rabbit.

BTW, my 2009 Aveo instruction manual calls for T-IV fluid or the GM version of it. After reviewing all the available information, I'm not uncomfortable with using Dexron III, which is basically the same, but not partially synthetic.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      and as you said "since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated by GM in any way."

that is why i don't recommend it. You can not say what standard or version you are getting.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      and as you said "since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated by GM in any way."

that is why i don't recommend it. You can not say what standard or version you are getting.
      If the label says Dexron III, you will be getting Dexron III. It is still sold by many different oil manufacturers.
      I've been using many brands of it over the years (including since their ending the licensing in 2006) and have never bought or used a bottle of ATF made by GM, ever.

Obviously GM won't recommend it (as there is no profit in it for them), and you can do as you please. But as long as it does no harm, I'll use it.

Thanks
      Well here's the bottom line (I just went to autozone)....

Dexron III..........................$7.00.......Does not specifically say on the bottle it is safe for ESSO LT 71141
      Castrol Import MV-ATF.........$6.59.......Specifically says on the bottle it is safe for ESSO LT 71141

...My owners manual says only to use ESSO LT 71141...

Guess what I bought?

You can use whatever you want....but as much as you're pushing dexron III on me you must have some sort of tie to it or something....I keep saying if it doesn't say it's ok to use on the bottle I'm not comfortable using it....what did you invent it or something? lol
      Last edited by snrusnak; 10-01-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      So you bought the Dexron III?

I was looking to troll this thread, but it looks crazy enough already

Thanks
      So you bought the Dexron III?

I was looking to troll this thread, but it looks crazy enough already
      lol that's pretty funny

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast