•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you guys do?...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

What would you guys do?...

Between saving up and tax money I have about a thousand dollars for my car. It's an 04 hatchback, everything is stock, except radio, and a short ram k and n air intake. Car is in good shape, new timing belt, tune up etc. Just wondering what you guys suggest to make the car look better/run better with my budget. Thanks

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
      Between saving up and tax money I have about a thousand dollars for my car. It's an 04 hatchback, everything is stock, except radio, and a short ram k and n air intake. Car is in good shape, new timing belt, tune up etc. Just wondering what you guys suggest to make the car look better/run better with my budget. Thanks
      If the car has steel wheels, paint them a fresh coat of black and throw on a set of hubcaps if yours are missing, change the cabin air filter if you smoke in the car or the car has an odd smell. Remove any dealership stickers from the exterior. If the car is manual, slap a new shift knob on, basically detail the thing and touch up the wheel paint. As far as driveability, take out the backseat headrests if nobody sits back there, it makes the rearview so much better. Upgrade the headlights to a more expensive bulb or if you have the 160, get a set of new lights from Amazon if yours are yellowed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I like CookedTick's suggestions. Do some of the affordable stuff first. Maybe even a headlight polishing kit first to see if you can restore yours. Spend some money on good quality cleaning/polishing type products. Touch up paint. Maybe check your local classifieds for used wheels. Even new can be had pretty reasonably from a place like Discount Tire Direct. Tinted windows can usually be done for a couple hundred and make a difference in looks and function. Is there anything that needs replacing like fuel door, damaged taillights/reflectors, missing trim, door lock actuators...? Is there any leaks from the valve cover? New quality floor mats usually dress up an already clean interior. How are the speakers? If you don't have power locks, and have a little experience wiring, I'd highly recommend a power door lock kit. Maybe even consider socking some of that money away for a future repair?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Making sure your car is up to date on all the maintenance is the best hing you can do for it. Beyond that, I would say wheels, tires, suspension and then tie bars. Im not much into "looks" changes without a function behind them, aftermarket headlights and such might not actually provide more or better light without just blinding others. If you want better lighting, a retrofit kit with high quality parts is probably the best option:

Wheels would be at discretion of style, size you want. I would go with used wheels before hubcaps. A light weight set of wheels off a VW would not only look better, but will help performance with weight loss.

I find Tires to be best for performance and longevity when in the 300 tread wear range with a tread designed for your area and usage (highway, or rain). I tend to choose an aggressive V tread pattern. A little wider (not too wide for rim) and chasing the sidewall to keep the diameter correct. Brand, etc don't matter to me much after that, I have run enough cheap tires to feel comfortable with trying the non name brands. I tend to wear them all out about the same. And have not had any of the separation, or other issues that big name tires try to scare you with.

A slightly lowered suspension won't only drive better, it will allow you to push the car a little more, and be more stable on the highway. I tend to go low, but a decent set of springs even without much of a drop will improve suspension performance.

If you want to lose the body roll and really hang in the corners, a Strut tower bar and rear tie bar are excellent to tighten up the car.

Thanks
      slam it lol, i agree with them i did all cosmetic things and maintenance until i slammed it. Name:  16938440_10206887587422986_2058022945492127552_n.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  141.6 KB. wheels are easy to find just dont do 18s. I had to make mines fit lol

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      take your money and buy my old one!?

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/6021824943.html

Thanks
      If I had the money, I would be driving there right now for it, I would make the fitment so tight and add camper. It's clean by itself alreadyalready

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Everybody has some really good suggestions. Maintenance First. Rabbit has a good suggestion on used VW wheels. My own wheels cost about a grand and already beat to hell because they stick out past the tire (don't ever buy wheels like that). If you pick up a used set for 200 and then new tires that's easily 600 bucks.

Do not do the lowered strut. I have done it, loved it and for a daily driver it will beat the crap out of you. Do lowered springs, that cost me about 450 including new shocks/struts.

My advice, what can you do to the inside to make it more enjoyable to drive?
      For example an integrated Android/GPS/Radio Head.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Does it beat he crap out of you...yes, slammed I've been on a mk2 setup with custom springs in the rear for the past year. Just swapping to coilovers drastically helped the handling and loading capacity for the rear.(setting them high to break in). After about 3 months I got springs for the rear half the size of what came on the coilovers but same spring rate. Rode great and soaks up bumps and dips. All with out the sway bar end links. Maxed them out and they still handle and respond great. Only thing is rough or uneven roads suck. I daily this car. Coilovers I suggest just to improve handling for 300 is not bad, you don't always have to go low. Pic of raised setup during snow. Only 20 thread difference between beat your back up slammed, and functionally air cloud lol Name:  IMG_0373.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  283.1 KB

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks everyone, cars well maintained so everything is in order there. Think I'm going to look for some rims, and throw a nice stereo system in. Give me a chance to play with fiberglass lol. Next window tint, new shocks and lowering springs. Second job is a tattoo artist, with tax season I'm making plenty of side cash. Rabbit that cars sweet. Idk I'll let you guys know what I do for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast