•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinions on Virus Protection

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Need Opinions on Virus Protection

Quote Originally Posted by AVE0SAM
      ok so if I download spybot and/or adaware from the links ravenne provided, I should be able to remove something that I might already have? I am not sure if I do I just wanna make sure and having something til I decide on Norton 2009. The only reason I am suspicious is that every once and a while when I am on this forum and I open a link into a new window, multiple windows keep popping up and I can't stop them except from turning the computer off. It is weird because I believe it only happens when I am on this forum and not everytime

Dan, I have tried that lol
      yes you should be able to remove something you may have, multiple windows popping up sounds like adware. spybot and ad-aware does not replace a full antivirus + antispyware suite, spybot and ad-aware do not have realtime monitoring of what is going in and out of your computer. they are mainly use for removal only. remember, you get what you pay for.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      ok so if I download spybot and/or adaware from the links ravenne provided, I should be able to remove something that I might already have? I am not sure if I do I just wanna make sure and having something til I decide on Norton 2009. The only reason I am suspicious is that every once and a while when I am on this forum and I open a link into a new window, multiple windows keep popping up and I can't stop them except from turning the computer off. It is weird because I believe it only happens when I am on this forum and not everytime

Dan, I have tried that lol
      yes you should be able to remove something you may have, multiple windows popping up sounds like adware. spybot and ad-aware does not replace a full antivirus + antispyware suite, spybot and ad-aware do not have realtime monitoring of what is going in and out of your computer. they are mainly use for removal only. remember, you get what you pay for.
      yea I want this comp locked down like fort knox lol

Thanks

ok I downloaded adaware free and ran a scan....there were a few things and alot of tracing cookies, but for some reason it won't let me remove the tracing cookies? anyone know why?

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

make sure you are downloading adaware from lavasoft, there are some fake ones out there

Thanks

yea i got the adaware from lavasoft. ive seen the fake ones, it got on our old desktop that crashed, i think my bro downloaded it

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

i have the norton 2009 version with norton system works also, and adaware from lavasoft
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Hi all, I'm still alive. :P I personally liked Norton Internet Security 2004 that came preinstalled on my 06 (oh boy) asus laptop as long as the 3-month licence was valid. Now that it has long been expired I don't have any firewalls installed but just scan my system using some virus scanner when I notice anything strange, which happened only a couple times and both times it was viruses. Should be more careful though. I normally use Dr. Web as a scanner which is also a good firewall like all-in-one. I remember a workmate of mine at my previous work using some NOD 32 software on the work PC as a scanner and probably firewall which he just praised and which eventually helped me pick up what others couldn't. seems like it's free and regularly refreshable.
      Former 08 hatchback owner

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

ok I downloaded adaware free and ran a scan....there were a few things and alot of tracing cookies, but for some reason it won't let me remove the tracing cookies? anyone know why?

Some things are removed after you restart the computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenne

Some things are removed after you restart the computer.
      yea reading owns me lol it says that but I guess I didn't see it... thanks for your help guys. I will more than likely be getting Norton soon but these other ones are good too

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

http://www.free-av.com/

I have been using this since 2001 and install it on the machines I repair. It's free so you can't top the price and it works great. I have only had 1 virus in that time and it's my own fault for not scanning some software I downloaded before installing it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast