•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the SG SHORT RAM air intake

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

the SG SHORT RAM air intake

This is a post I originally did in the 'Engine' topics section. Works better here.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tight on a budget? We all are. Some guys here might think this is going to be 'really budget tight', but here's what I did for my first mod.
      1- 'universal' SPECTRE short ram ALUMINUM BODY intake. 40 bucks.
      1- SPECTRE dual cone filter. 20 bucks. (smaller cone inside and atop the larger cone, used for a cold air adapter tube)
      1- 3" to 2.5" rubber coupler. 10 bucks.
      That's 70 bucks for a short ram, parts available at Autozone. Don't ask anyone to help you there, cuz they won't know WTF is going on.
      -----Take the 'universal tube', and cut 6" off the long end with a hacksaw. Cut 1/2" off the short side by the bend. Make sure you cut these straight. Follow the directions given in the kit about cutting, it works. File down the edge, and run a big rag thru the tube a couple times to make damn good and sure you cleaned out all the aluminum shavings, and dust.
      -----Now, fit the 3 to 2.5" coupler on the short side of the bend, and stuff it on the throttle body. The long part of the tube should slightly turn down, almost pointing to the cold air intake hole in the fender wall. There are 2 pieces of aluminum plate that comes with the kit, to stabilize the tube. I bent the short piece enough to cradle the bottom of the tube, and bolted it with one of the three original intake box screws, to the inside bolt hole of the original fender wall bracket. To keep the squeaking, and friction of 2 pieces of aluminum rubbing to a minimum, I stuck heavy duty felt padding (maybe 5 bucks, the kind you put on bottom of chair legs) to the top of the bent stabilizer bracket. Put the Cone filter on, but don't tighten nothing down yet.
      -----There is a hole on the 'universal' tube by the small welded breather vent tube. This is for your air sensor, which you'll have to cut out of the stock rubber intake hose. Be careful with this piece. It is glued in, so you can basically just slowly pry it out with a small screwdriver. BE PATIENT, you don't want to break this thing! Once it's out, you'll notice it is square at the base. I cut/filed the square edges down until it fit in the hole. Insert the air sensor into the hole, making sure all the 'honeycomb' style square holes toward the end of the piece can receive free flowing air to the sensor( front to back, not up and down). Use a bead of RVT, or silicone gasket maker sparingly to hold it in the hole(make it look like a smooth weld). Wait until it's dry to plug the wiring in.
      -----Tighten up the filter, and the rubber coupler. There is enough room in front of the cone to run an additional piece of flex tubing to the stock cold air intake hole( if you want that), but you DO need the DUAL CONE filter to do this.
      -----Unplug your battery at the ground terminal while the RVT silicone is drying(I let mine dry overnight.). This will allow your computer to make its air/fuel adjustments on a clean slate, then plug in your air sensor wiring, and reconnect the battery. Upon first turnover, you won't notice much difference, until you put your foot in the gas pedal. Quite an aggressive sound, from a simple intake! Big improvement overall, especially out of 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th gear has better bottom end, also.
      For 75-80 bucks, and a little time, you will NOT be disappointed. Apologies to all you guys who hate the word 'UNIVERSAL', but this thing works! Another fine American tuner project from SHADY GARAGE.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Good write-up. The classic DIY Intake...
      -- xtreme 2

Body Kits | Exhaust | Intakes | More!
      http://www.dlspeedonline.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/DLSpeed

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      SG INTAKE and Oil catch/Breather tubes.
      [/img]

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      good job!
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      hmm ive havent really noticed this before but how come the hose setup is different in the newer aveos then the 04's. ie the hose closest to the intake and hooked up to the t-splitter is hook straight to my intake (came stock like that) while the hose hooked up to you intake is all the way from the right

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      That sorta T-looking thing is the PCV valve. It's jacketed and you can see the coolant lines running from it on either side, to prevent freezing. The coolant runs from the TB which is also jacketed to supposedly prevent TB freeze (although I've bypassed mine for 2 eastern Canadian "wet" winters with a Spectre SRI with no freeze-up problems whatsoever.)

Hey SG-fwiw, the clear plastic "tygon" tubing doesn't hold up well to heat and organics, so the hot blow-by gasses + engine bay temp may 1) leach phthalates which can gum up sensors and 2) collapse/plug up the tubing. You should switch to tubing that's compatible with hot engine fluids.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      alright im workin on my car right now, i just took off the stock intake system out, and when i pulled out the filter box, theres a big gappin hole on the bottom underneath were the black box was. leave it open, or cover it, and cover it with what? please help me asap

Thanks
      If you're just going short ram, you can either:
      1) leave it.
      2) pull out the resonator under there and route some hosing in that will direct cool air up towards your filter.

If you're going to pull out the resonator, you might as well go CAI.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      and also it says file down the o2 sensor. i can only file it so much though. so, wut do i do i cant get it to fit in

Thanks
      1) it's an intake air temp sensor, not an O2 sensor. Different thing altogether.
      2) The IAT has a lip which can be cut/shaved off. If the hole in your tube it too small to fit the IAT, then obviously you have to make the hole bigger. I think the IAT is 1/2". You can get a set of rubber grommets from Spectre that has a grommet that fits a 3/4" or 5/8" hole that holds a 1/2" tube or sensor. Spectre also has a kit that includes a hole saw, hose barbs and grommets.
      I'm in no way associated with Spectre, but in terms of "universal" intakes, they're the only ones who have these sorts of unusual parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast