•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just bought new brakes

Nah, it's the reason they don't use slotted rotors on high speed race cars

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Audacity Racing
      That is the most asinine **** I have heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by aveodude
      Quote Originally Posted by Audacity Racing
      That is the most asinine **** I have heard yet.
      It's a shame you have no idea what you're talking about...

Formula 1 brakes

Ferrari F430 Brakes
      http://www.cardotcom.com/cars/images01/ ... brakes.jpg

Viper SRT-10 Brakes
      http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee955fc/cmd.2 ... e..ee955fd

Porsche 911 Big Brake kit from RENNSPEED

Porsche Carrera GT Brakes

If you'd like race cars specifically, I'm more than happy to post even more evidence. Even the Lacetti WTCC car has multi-scored rotors but not grooved.

The only race scenario you'll see them used frequently is in rally where the pads/rotors get junk on them constantly

Thanks
      don't most racecars use ceramic rotors... a single one being more expensive than an aveo?
      Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Nah, there are ceramic rotors for the Aveo if you get the right hat-rotor combo

Thanks
      I am sorry but you sir, are an idiot. Look at the brakes you posted. Most of them are Carbon-ceramic which are totally different that standard brakes. And if you put carbon-ceramic brakes on an Aveo, you are retarded because the brakes alone are going to cost more than your car did new.

The reason the Carbon-ceramic brakes are drilled is because they do not have to worry about cracking like standard metal brakes do. That is the reason most brakes are slotted over cross drilled. Also, all the cars you posted have their own brake cooling ducts to slow down the cracking process. I can gaurentee you put a slotted rotor in there and it will perform just as well (100-0) and last much longer. Reason it will perform just as well, ABS. ABS slows the car down as fast as physically possible without locking the tires. If you can feel the ABS kick in with your stock brakes, it is going to do the same thing with ANY aftermarket brakes. Plain and simple, if you want your car to stop faster than it does now, get stickier tires. The ONLY thing it will help with is break fade and gain a bit of HP (less unsprung weight).
      Please come with facts about some **** you are gonna try to claim instead of just posting pictures of cars you have seen in a magazine.

Here is more FACT supporting my arguement.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake#Racing
      And if you dont want the link, I copied it here.
      Discs may also be slotted, where shallow channels are machined into the disc to aid in removing dust and gas. Slotting is the preferred method in most racing environments to remove gas, water, and de-glaze brake pads. Some discs are both drilled and slotted. Slotted discs are generally not used on standard vehicles because they quickly wear down brake pads; however, this removal of material is beneficial to race vehicles since it keeps the pads soft and avoids vitrification of their surfaces.

On the road, drilled or slotted discs still have a positive effect in wet conditions because the holes or slots prevent a film of water building up between the disc and the pads. Cross drilled discs will eventually crack at the holes due to metal fatigue. Cross-drilled brakes that are manufactured poorly or subjected to high stresses will crack much sooner and more severely.
      /rant

Thanks
      great, if my rotors crack and turn to **** within a year of use, r1concepts you will be thrashed in every forum...
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Sweet... wikipedia has the last word on everything these days... it's a shame that photographic evidence says otherwise.

Here is something to think about... The point behind slots is to prevent outgassing from making a pneumatic cushion between the pad and the rotor (good pedal feel, no friction). This is caused by the pad, not the rotor. Turns out, carbon and ceramic brakes both use standard type pads (except in f1)... meaning the outgassing problem exists on carbon and ceramic systems as well.

Now let's look at the physical science behind what I said...

As the slot and the pad intercept, the total frictional force on the brake (the brake torque) drops. Why? Because there is physical loss of bite between the pad and the rotor. This can be counteracted by pressing harder on the pedal, but at high speeds you wouldn't be fast enough to catch it. So what happens is during a time of non-engagement the friction is higher than when the slot is under the pad. The braking force is literally higher... That means when the slot comes around, the car will lurch forward. That is a fact!

In applications where water typically gets on the rotor (touring, gt, prototype) they often use dimpled or multi-scored rotors. These offer smaller frictional losses while still "deglazing" (read: chewing up) the pad. Here is a Daewoo example, the WTCC Lacetti...

That pic is MASSIVE

Like I said before, in rally they use true slots or spirals, but it's uncommon in true high-speed applications.

Also, for the record, I work in the motorsports industry, I didn't just get the idea from looking at pictures in magazines

Thanks
      I didnt say they had the last word on everything. I was just showing FACT from a source which you have failed to do. You just keep bringing up carbon ceramic brakes which has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I totally agree that carbon ceramic brakes are the best possible thing you can get as far as braking goes but chances are, no one that owns anything short of a $100K sports car will ever use them.

Those "dimples" that you posed in that picture are, you guessed it, SLOTS. Just a different variation of them. Again I bring the point that cross drilled brakes WILL crack due to heat stress. I know the theory and the process behind the way the actual brakes work but thank you for sharing.

And as for your whole nonsense that even ceramic brakes use standard pads, you are wrong on that as well. Porsche and Ferrari both use ceramic pads as well. Here is more FACT that even aftermarket companys use ceramic pads
      http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/ceramic.php

That is great that you are in the motorsports industry. But please to not prance that around like you know something you obviously know nothing about. All it means to me is that I would be deathly afraid if I ever went to your shop to get work done. Luckilly for me, I do all my own work.

And here is more ACTUAL EVIDENCE stating there is more out there than your standard brake pads
      http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/tec ... ?techid=88
      This one is Kevlar
      http://www.ebcbrakes.com/redstuffinfo.html

And please, if you are going to make an argument, please post fact and not your wrong opinion to pictures that you stroll across on the internet.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron-E-Babe
      great, if my rotors crack and turn to **** within a year of use, r1concepts you will be thrashed in every forum...
      In general, cross-drilled rotors are the ones that crack. Not saying that slotted ones wont, but it is very less likely. You will be ok

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast