•  

Thread: Newbie Factory Amp Question?

Simple & Clean :) AndrewButler05's Avatar
      Thanks

Newbie Factory Amp Question?

This may seem like a stupid question, but I was looking to add a Kicker Hideaway to Chewy. I bought my Kenwood DPX300U off of Crutchfield and it included the factory harness adapter. I made the connections to the adapter from the radio wires and it has worked flawlessly to date.

My question is, do our cars have a factory amplifier? Where is it inside the car? Should I just tie into that wire as well so it will power the factory amp, and the Hideaway? Or should I peruse another option? I suppose I could simply disconnect the amplifier turn on wire and test it, but I assumed some of you would already know since you have done radio/speaker installations before.

I realize that this adapter for the factory connector is just a generic one for Chevy Vehicles, but then why does the car's connector have an amp pin in the plug and a wire connected to it running into the harness in the dash?

Anyone have any input on this? I tried to do a search of the forum here, but couldn't really find anything.

This is a PDF of the manual of the adapter: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf.../120708405.PDF

Thanks,
      -Andrew

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      not an after market stereo expert. but if you mean signal wire for on, i would think your plans would be ok.

if your talking about fully powering the amp off the factory amp, then no. you will probably start to blow fuses.

i think the amp in buried in the dash.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      There are not factory amplifiers in our cars. You would need to install your own. I am not sure if the stock radio has a signal wire.
      But if you wish to test, run the negative to the battery, positive to positive and bridge the connection on the aftermarket amp between the positive and signal.

Rather install the amp under the seat or behind the rear passenger seat. Run a either 8 or 4 gauge wire (depending on how strong the amp is) with an in-line fuse directly from the positive terminal to the positive on the amp. Use a short ground wire that is the same gauge as your power wire and attach it to either a bolt under your seat (bolted directly onto the car) or any bolt which is easy. Make sure to sand the area you are attaching it to, you want a solid connection and paint wont allow a good connection. Run the signal wire from the radio so the amp. If your radio doesnt have a signal wire, then you can bridge the 2 connections between the positive and signal terminal on the amp. This will keep the amp permanently on so I advise putting a switch in between

Thanks
      I plan to use the wire to power on the amp, it will have the main power wires run to the battery. I just wondered if the amp was an option and the wire is just in the harness and doesn't actually go anywhere. If it doesn't have a factory amp then why does it have the a power on wire in the connector?

I assume it would be buried somewhere, either that or it's in one of the kick panels somewhere in the car.

Thanks
      I'm going to install a kicker hideaway, it comes with the wires and connectors. I was just trying to figure out the mystery amp power on wire. I will find out for sure when I install it. I will disconnect the wire and see if it sounds any different or shuts off, that will answer my question. I was just curious if you guys knew.