This may seem like a stupid question, but I was looking to add a Kicker Hideaway to Chewy. I bought my Kenwood DPX300U off of Crutchfield and it included the factory harness adapter. I made the connections to the adapter from the radio wires and it has worked flawlessly to date.

My question is, do our cars have a factory amplifier? Where is it inside the car? Should I just tie into that wire as well so it will power the factory amp, and the Hideaway? Or should I peruse another option? I suppose I could simply disconnect the amplifier turn on wire and test it, but I assumed some of you would already know since you have done radio/speaker installations before.

I realize that this adapter for the factory connector is just a generic one for Chevy Vehicles, but then why does the car's connector have an amp pin in the plug and a wire connected to it running into the harness in the dash?

Anyone have any input on this? I tried to do a search of the forum here, but couldn't really find anything.

This is a PDF of the manual of the adapter: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf.../120708405.PDF

Thanks,
-Andrew