•  

Thread: Front door speaker problem 2010 sedan

What's wrong with my car? Chev Chelios's Avatar
      Thanks

Front door speaker problem 2010 sedan

I just discovered recently that my drivers side door speaker was not working, and the passenger side one was very quiet. I just installed my old cd deck and same problem. Back speakers are much louder but front passenger is still very quiet. I took out the drivers side speaker and hooked up another speaker I had and still no sound. I was going to run wires through the door but after about half an hour of pushing wires and poking fingers I figured out there is actually a connector in the door frame and there is no pass through.

Now I can't get the rubber boot back on, and I can't even use that hole for running my own wires. If you just run them inside the door that's going to affect the door seals, not to mention it won't look professional. Short of drilling new holes in the doors, what are my options? Mount them under the dash? On top of the dash? Ha ha.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Those are door molex connectors and they SUCK. I had to deal with them when I installed power locks. If you keep working at it, you SHOULD be able to eventually get the rubber boot back on. That being said, I gave up. I ended up using silicone on them to seal them to the door. Not one of my finer moments. I normally like to do things right nowadays, and not like when I would twist and tape connections when I was 16 years old.

How to wire through a door molex.

I drilled a spot through the molexes and ran wires through the boot, but unfortunately the boot never was perfectly tucked in.

Thanks
      I would use the existing wires but I don't know where the problem is. Would a probe work or would I just have to tap into the wires and keep checking?

Thanks
      I finally figured out how to remove the door handle bezel thanks to the Russian video. I kept missing the middle tab. Anyways got the whole door panel off and checked the wiring. One spot seemed kind of worn, but the speaker wires weren't exposed. I cut away the wrap to check just in case and that's where the problem was. About a 3/4 inch section of wire and broken off. I cut off more wrap to expose the wires and reconnected them. Now the speaker works!

The spot was where the wiring comes from inside the metal part of the door and its resting on the frame. I'm not sure what would have caused two cuts in each wire like that though. I can see one cut, but two? Anyways speakers do sound better
      with the new stereo but I'm still replacing them. I have a set of 5 1/4s from my old car but they are not shallow so even with a spaceelepr it would be too thick.