•  

Thread: Add-on console for drinks and such?

Thanks

Add-on console for drinks and such?

One thing that's kinda irksome about the Aveo is the lack of interior console space. I've got the one cup holder at the back of the center console - it's actually more convenient for the back seat than it is the driver. And there's the one cubby at the front that goes back up under the dash. Not a whole lot of places to put things like a passenger's drink, sunglasses, phone, etc.

Has anyone found a good add-on console? I find ones that I can put in the passenger seat. But I'd rather have one that doesn't encroach on passenger seating and room.

Ed

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      I had gotten a cheap E-bay universal console a while back. I had put together the console and found it to be the most unsturdy piece of crap. However, even when I mocked it up in the car, it would interfere with shifting (manual trans); I elected to return it
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EdNerd View Post
      One thing that's kinda irksome about the Aveo is the lack of interior console space. I've got the one cup holder at the back of the center console - it's actually more convenient for the back seat than it is the driver. And there's the one cubby at the front that goes back up under the dash. Not a whole lot of places to put things like a passenger's drink, sunglasses, phone, etc.

Has anyone found a good add-on console? I find ones that I can put in the passenger seat. But I'd rather have one that doesn't encroach on passenger seating and room.

Ed
      My Aveo is an '09 and it has retractable dashboard cup holders for the driver and front passenger. But I agree that the storage space is lacking - so here is my solution. I found a storage bin from a castoff refrigerator. Then I scrounged around and found an empty container with a very tight fitting lid. The one I used was from Borden's wood filler. That will be used as a support for the homemade console bin. I glued the lid from the container onto the bin in the appropriate spot with Gorilla glue. Then I attached the container to the snap-on lid, forming one solid unit. Then insert the container part into the rear cup holder in the center console so it acts as a support for the whole custom bin. I then realized that I could extend it even farther, so I added the wooden box onto the unit, attaching it with screws and nuts. As seen in the photos, the entire unit works well and does not interfere with the fold-down armrest. I know it doesn't look very attractive, but if you are fussy you can paint whatever you cobble together.

Name:  console 1.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  129.0 KBName:  console 2.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  129.4 KBName:  console 3.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  122.7 KBName:  console 4.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  264.8 KBName:  console 5.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  285.4 KB

What's wrong with my car? plan b's Avatar
      Thanks
      MacGyver would be proud. Clever idea and good work.

Thanks
      Sorry for not checking in -- been working some really odd shifts (6 x 12 hrs, midnites, etc).
      That looks like a great idea!! It doesn't interfere with the parking brake??

Ed

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EdNerd View Post
      Sorry for not checking in -- been working some really odd shifts (6 x 12 hrs, midnites, etc).
      That looks like a great idea!! It doesn't interfere with the parking brake??

Ed
      Since it's an automatic, I just put it in park and never set the parking brake. But since the console box unit is only seated in the rear cup holder for support and not fastened to anything, you could activate the parking brake. As long as you don't have 10 pounds of stuff in the bin...