•  

Thread: ram air idea

GrySqrl
      Thanks

ram air idea

So i came with this idea i want to try and im tying to get opinion before i blow the money on it. So right now i have a SRI ('11 aveo5). what i want to try is to buy another oem hood ( incase i mess something up) and a hood scoop. Basicly mount the scoop directly above the air filter ( bondo, body filler, w/e it takes to make it look seamless) and then basically cut a hole in the hood where the scoop is to make some what of a ram air hood scoop. idk if i will be able to box it in to make a straight scoop to filter travel path, however i figured it would still work some what. atleast help to get quite a bit of cooler air into the filter and engine bay. any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, criticism, is greatly appreciated.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I cant say it would make a huge difference incomparison to a CAI, I would create an CAI instead and invest the extra money in a set of springs/coilovers or a nice set of lightweight rims (not sure what you have so far). You can wrap the pipes up as well with a header wrap or something to avoid heatsink, but in the end, you will not pick up any extra power, on an 80 degree day down here in sunny florida, I was running at about 94 degree air intake temp, while switching to a CAI brought me down to 89-90 (it goes up past 110 when in stand still traffic, but comes back down when you are moving). Could help with engine temps though, but again, I wouldnt think the possible improvement is worth the effort and money.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if you want to do it for function and not looks, you have to "seal" the entire path from the scoop opening to the throttle body. with one or two areas built in for water drainage usually one in the scoop or air box, and one on the modified intake before any sensors..

A CAI will improve on the short ram as hunteroo has already stated.

of and bondo to join a scoop to a hood will crack, you would be better off with a "seamed" edge, or using a fusor.
      but for how thin the metal is on the hood, i think most anything will be coming back.

GrySqrl
      Thanks
      Good point. It was just an idea i thought of

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      if you want to do it, just add a few steps to do it right, steps i would add: put the stock air box top back in, with a k&n filter. but put it in upside down, using the bottom of the stock box cut away as pretty much a retaining ring for the filter. but i would also probably only open it up to the size of the hole in the hood.. then make "duct" work so when you close the hood it will seal the air box to the hood scoop opening. just leave the solid "duct" an inch or so from hood closed, and put soft foam there as a seal. then modify the airbox to accept the metal tube intake pipe instead of the rubber stock piece. and voila.. ram air.
      Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 04-18-2011 at 01:43 PM.

GrySqrl
      Thanks
      That sounds pretty solid. ill see what i can do when i get my bonus from work

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      If you do this, take lots of pics and post a progress thread. I Had similar ideas for my 2008, and would like to see it done.
      http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

GrySqrl
      Thanks
      As much as i would love to, i doubt it will. I may talk a big game but really i can change a flat and check the oil. However if i do end up going through with it i will keep everyone updated. but for future reference, what do you mean and do i go about puttung the water drains in rabbit?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      anytime you have a hood opening to the intake, you need to run the plumbing so the water doesnt get to the engine... and in the spots the water goes to, it needs to be able to drain out so you dont just fill the system.