•  

Thread: Yet - Another Timing Belt Inquiry

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Yet - Another Timing Belt Inquiry

Greetings All and Happy New Year to each and every one of you.

I have just purchased a 2007 Aveo5 LT with 43000 kms or approx. 27000 miles - based on what I have read pushing these cars to 60K Miles or 100K kms may be asking for trouble - my car is now 5 years old but low mileage.

I am playing with fire trying to push the belt to 6 or 7 years old - I thought maybe going to 70,000 kms might not be a bad idea but if the belts break after going through 4 seasons and the rubber gets rotten (belt has been inspected and looks fine but???).

Your opinion is always welcome.

Gordo

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      60k miles is golden, age is not as much as a factor, but up in Canada (and the seasons as you said) five years is old. I changed mine at 56k (2007 LS) and the belt looked near new (there is heat down here), you should be fine, NY ran his way past 60k (over 100k I think....) and finally changed it

But, if you can do it yourself or have it done for a couple hundred, might as well have it done but I would not be scared of it.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      07 is slightly updated engine e-tec ll manual states 100,000km these timing belts are supposed to be better then the 40-60kfailing timing belts of 2004-2006. im in southern ont as well orange, im going all the way to 90,000km b4 i change mine.its always a good idea to change waterpump and tensioner as well.kits run 160-290 in parts to do it yourself depends on where you buy it.you are covered under gm warranty for 5yrs 100km (drive train)timing belt covered.im covered till august 2012.you may want to check yours.dealership can tell u buy your vin if u dont already know.

Thanks
      There is no new engine in the 2007 5......not until 2009 (where it became 100k miles, not the 60k miles).

Thanks
      oops i have sedans and didnt relize they didnt update the aveo 5 engines at the same time as the sedans.i knew the body style remained the same but thought they would use the updated engine as in the sedans.since they had them

Thanks
      yeah I also get confused sometimes I still have no ideal why they did not change both models at the same time (I like the 1st gen better so I am not complaining )

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Orange07 View Post
      Greetings All and Happy New Year to each and every one of you.

I have just purchased a 2007 Aveo5 LT with 43000 kms or approx. 27000 miles - based on what I have read pushing these cars to 60K Miles or 100K kms may be asking for trouble - my car is now 5 years old but low mileage.

I am playing with fire trying to push the belt to 6 or 7 years old - I thought maybe going to 70,000 kms might not be a bad idea but if the belts break after going through 4 seasons and the rubber gets rotten (belt has been inspected and looks fine but???).

Your opinion is always welcome.

Gordo
      Hi Guy. If you figure it out, let me know. My 2006 Aveo5 LS has only 20,700 miles on it, and I know I have asked if I should replace it since it is nearly 6 years old, but everyone here seems to say that with the low mileage I have on it, I should wait till I get a lot closer to the 60,000 mark. I am in south Fla. so it is the heat and short trips I take, that 'wears' on the engine parts, not cold, thats for sure. When I had one of the main engine gaskets replaced on the engine, the engine was 'opened' and I asked if they should repalce the timing belt then, since it was open, might as well do it and save some money, but the mechanic said no, the mileage is way to low, it was about 17K then, and it will last a lot longer, no need to do it. The gasket was not the 'head gasket' it was like the next one down.
      Of course my warranty ran out, the time limit, and I paid like $350 for this gasket/work. So...a GM mechanic said the timing belt was fine at 17K miles, in the Fla heat, which I assume is harsher on the engine than cold???....I don't know if that helps you out. If you find out more, please post it.

Thanks
      I drive a 2007 Aveo 4dr Sedan LS which currently has 41k miles on it and I just had the timing belt replaced this week, it was making awfully loud squealing noises. The auto shop I went to said that on average the 07 Aveo shouldn't need it's timing belt replaced till around 60k miles.... sigh

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      The gasket was not the 'head gasket' it was like the next one down.
      heat is bad for the engine, but safe operating temp perimeters is higher than the additional heat in florida (if the cooling is working). There is no gasket "next one down" from the head gasket. The next one down is the oil pan.

if you are worried about age, check the belt for cracking, and signs of dry rot.

Thanks
      We bought my wife's aveo used, IIRC it's an 05, but might be and 04. I had no idea (never looked at the manual....duh) that the belt was only recommended for 60k miles. When we hit 100,000 miles and I joined the forum I finally bought a gates brand kit for a few hundred bucks and replaced the timing belt, idler puller, tensioner pulley, and water pump. Took me about a whole day. I didn't use any special tools like the DOHC lock tool (I used several large zipties), or the water pump wrench (I used a crescent wrench). I will say I spent hours extra because I really needed the water pump wrench. Also, you do not need to take the shroud off to remove/install the water pump, it will flex out of the way. It is extremely tight fit but it's doable...there's a "magic" perfect way that it will slide out an slide in, so it takes a while (took me an hour to get it out). Good luck, I have write ups saved on my computer if you want them let me know. They have the torque specs as well. The car runs better know I noticed, no more "surging" at idle.