•  
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What brand of oil is everyone using and what interval?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: What brand of oil is everyone using and what interval?

Quote Originally Posted by AVE0SAM
      ive used mobile before and it needed to be changed def at 3k miles and it was the first time ive ever lost any oil between changes.....but with like crappy store brand oil and a thing of lucas oil additive i can go anywhere from 4k-6k miles and the oil still be good. I am at 5k miles now and the oil still looks fresh and still has the same amount....yay for the cheap stuff lol
      lucas products FTMFW

You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aveo07z
      but if your past the second oil change.. and have always run conventional .. the damage is already done and your wasting your money.
      Hummm????? Wonder when the damage was done on my all orginal 2.8L V6 lump, powering my 86" Jimmy with 547,000 miles on it, from using conventional Pennzoil for 20 years? Oh, forgot.........had to do the intake manifold gasket.

And that's nothing......I know of local 4.2 powerer Blazer with over 900,000 miles on it and yes, he uses Pennziol as well.

By the way, both vehicles since retired.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

i often wondered how we got along in the previous 100 years of automotive history without synthetic oils to save our engines?
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      i often wondered how we got along in the previous 100 years of automotive history without synthetic oils to save our engines?
      engines lasted a few thousand miles before being rebuilt.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

i was trying to make a point
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      i was trying to make a point
      Point taken
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

In response to the question about oil type and changing it.

I use Amsoil 5w30 and a Wix filter. I can run 24,000 KMs before changing the oil. However I will change the filter in 12,000 KMS. Hope that helps.

Still love my daily driver aveosummit's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSpotMedia
      In response to the question about oil type and changing it.

I use Amsoil 5w30 and a Wix filter. I can run 24,000 KMs before changing the oil. However I will change the filter in 12,000 KMS. Hope that helps.
      How has Amsoil been working for you? I am considering upgrading to it from Mobil 1.
      Aveosummit aka "C3Customs"

C3 Testimonials

Bravox Audio - Arc Audio - Stetsom - DLS - GermanMAESTRO - Clarion
      Your Sound is our Quality

Thanks

hi,

In response to: How has Amsoil been working for you? I am considering upgrading to it from Mobil 1.

I talked to my local Amsoil dealer yesterday and he says that the Mobil 1 oil is very good and is sometimes used in comparison tests with Amsoil. I have a 1200 cc motorcycle as well, and have used Amsoil for 10 years in both engine and final drive; two oils respectively. I change my oil in my bike every 24000kms. The filter is changed every 12000 kms. I find the Amsoil to be perfect for my needs in both my bike and my 2008 Aevo.

There was a post here about the myths of oil changes and the companies that maintain them. It was true in the past to change oil more often 1900's to 1960's , however due to engineering standards of todays motors we are able to use technology based synthetic oils and quality filters with longer intervals between changes.

I would never tell someone to change what works for them, whether it be oil changes every 5000 km or every 24000 km. We all feel different towards our cars. However I feel the filter choice is paramount in determining the longevity. So i'll say it again., I change my oil every 24000kms but my filter HAS to be changed every 12000kms.

Well theres my nickle drop....

Great forum guys

Thanks

I think using Mobil 1 is one of the smartest things to do, especially with this car. I don't care what anyone says, expert or not, synthetic is just better. The 1.4 and 1.6 liter E-TEC engines are well manufactured and well engineered engines, but let's face it folks, it's a small engine pushing a car that is right around the 3,000 lb mark. That makes for one hard working engine; and we all know that an engine's hard work translates into heat. When it comes to cooling hot engine parts by direct contact, oil is the final defense. I'm sure that many conventional oils have their finer points, but as hot as these engines get, it will start to cook conventional oil immediately, from the time you first start it up driving home from the dealership. Synthetic will take the beating and keep your engine parts from severe long term wear. There's dozens of educated reasons why Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Cadillac, and Porsche all require it from the very first fill on the assembly line.

The conventional oils that Mr. $2.00 AutoZone Oil is talking about have synthetic components to them (Mobil Clean 5000 & 7500). They'll maintain stability longer than that cheap swill you find in the grocery store, but I would still only use them in an emergency.

As for my change interval, I have had one hand me down Chevy and two new ones in my lifetime. I started using Mobil 1 in my 1990 Cavalier when I got it as a graduation present in 1998 with 65,000 miles and it lasted me until 2003 and 310,000 miles. As soon as I got my 2003 Cavalier, I threw it up on the lift and changed the oil to Mobil 1 and broke it in on that, and I did the same for my 2007 Aveo. I change it every 6000 miles and use a Bosch 3331 oil filter. If Bosch is not available, I'll step down to an ACDelco PF47. If none of those are available, I would rather put a coffee filter and plastic cup over the oil filter port than use some of the other trash filters out there (just kidding! Kids, a coffee filter & plastic cup are not an acceptable substitute for an oil filter and may cause serious damage to your engine, so don't try this at home.). I've been doing this since my '90 Cavalier and when I change it, it comes out looking like hot fudge, but stays showroom clean for at least 2,000 miles.

We all have freedom of choice, but the smarter thing to do is use the synthetic. Yeah, the fuel savings may be pennies when you look at the cost of Mobil 1, but $35.00 for a case of synthetic and a good filter beats at least $5,000 for a new E-TEC engine and labor.

As for Mr. cheapskate that uses the $2.00 oil and Wix filter, have your mechanic call me when he pulls your engine; I'll use all the asphalt your engine made to pave my driveway.

It's not the size that counts, it's how you handle it!

2007 Chevy Aveo LS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast