•  
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What brand of oil is everyone using and what interval?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: What brand of oil is everyone using and what interval?

Ok, check this out then if you insist.

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

From the article:
      "None of the tested oils proved better than the others in our tests. There may be small differences that our tests didn't reveal, but unless you typically drive under more severe conditions than a New York cab does, you won't go wrong if you shop strictly by price or availability. Buy the viscosity grade recommended in your owner's manual, and look for the starburst emblem. Even the expensive synthetics (typically, $3 or $4 a quart) worked no better than conventional motor oils in our taxi tests, but they're worth considering for extreme driving conditions high ambient temperatures and high engine load or very cold temperatures.

On the basis of our test results, we think that the commonly recommended 3,000-mile oil-change interval is conservative. For "normal" service, 7,500-mile intervals (or the recommendation in your owner's manual) should be fine. Change the oil at least that often to protect your engine and maintain your warranty. Even for the severe service experienced by the taxis in our tests a 6,000- mile interval was adequate. But some severe service - frequent cold starts and short trips, dusty conditions, trailer towing - may require a shorter interval. Note, too, that special engines such as diesels and turbos, which we didn't test, may need more frequent oil changes. "

Like the article says, there are extreme cases when differences could be found, but for the gerneal public....
      But hey, if you can't sleep at night because your sludge is building up......

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      Ok, check this out then if you insist.

http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm

From the article:
      "None of the tested oils proved better than the others in our tests. There may be small differences that our tests didn't reveal, but unless you typically drive under more severe conditions than a New York cab does, you won't go wrong if you shop strictly by price or availability. Buy the viscosity grade recommended in your owner's manual, and look for the starburst emblem. Even the expensive synthetics (typically, $3 or $4 a quart) worked no better than conventional motor oils in our taxi tests, but they're worth considering for extreme driving conditions high ambient temperatures and high engine load or very cold temperatures.

I work my car like a dog and live in Chicago where one day the temp is -30 with wind and the next day its 95+ with 110% humidity. Extreme enough for me.

On the basis of our test results, we think that the commonly recommended 3,000-mile oil-change interval is conservative. For "normal" service, 7,500-mile intervals (or the recommendation in your owner's manual) should be fine. Change the oil at least that often to protect your engine and maintain your warranty. Even for the severe service experienced by the taxis in our tests a 6,000- mile interval was adequate. But some severe service - frequent cold starts and short trips, dusty conditions, trailer towing - may require a shorter interval. Note, too, that special engines such as diesels and turbos, which we didn't test, may need more frequent oil changes. "

City driving and mmmmmmmm turbos (not that I have mine in yet, but it will be.)

Like the article says, there are extreme cases when differences could be found, but for the gerneal public....
      But hey, if you can't sleep at night because your sludge is building up......
      Also let me add, motor oil, once in your vehicle, begins a shelf life. What I mean is, its like canned foods. They stay fresh as long as they arent opened but as soon as you open them, they begin to loose quality. I dont care what kind of motor you have, everytime you start it, you get small bits of metal and other "junk" into your oil. Plus like i said earlier, moisture. Moisture will break down your oil if you let it sit long enough. I believe it "oxidizes" or something (dont quote me here). For those reasons, I will change my oil at most by 6K miles. I try to do it before that but if I got school or something...You know.

Also going back to another post by OntarioFrog, you gotta change that **** ya know. How you treat your motor will determine how it treats you. (Not implicating fault to your Uncle and sux to hear about his shoulder.)

Thats all Im going to say. These articles do provide valid points, but they are not valid enough to convince me to change my ways of my vehicle maintenance. Because when I do change my oil, its usually(95% of the time) blacker than midnight and that tells me that it was time.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I dont care what any review says... im staying with Mobil full synthetic... mobile filter.. and 3kMiles ..... you can say im wasting money.. but in the end .. its my money to waste ... and just so can flame those of us who go the extra mile for our cars.. I also get premium from the same gas station EVERY fillup ... never go below 1/4 tank ...V-Power from Shell ....
      07 Aveo LS 5/speed Manual

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aveo07z
      I dont care what any review says... im staying with Mobil full synthetic... mobile filter.. and 3kMiles ..... you can say im wasting money.. but in the end .. its my money to waste ... and just so can flame those of us who go the extra mile for our cars.. I also get premium from the same gas station EVERY fillup ... never go below 1/4 tank ...V-Power from Shell ....
      I know its your right and its your money but using premium fuel is an even bigger waste of $$ than synthetic oil and short intervals. Unless you have reprogrammed the PCM to adjust timing for premium you will see no benefit from it and could even do some harm. Higher octane fuel may not detonate completely and leave deposits. The compression on these engines isn't even high enough to warrant the use of 89 octane. Just my two cents.
      2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS sedan - 13,230 miles
      2008 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.0L V6 - 34,920 miles
      2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2L I6- 95,870 miles

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Mobil 1 or Penzoil Full Syntethic 5W30 synthetic - and before anyone critizes my choice, learn why I use it. During the winters here in Alaska, it's not unusual to see -30 or colder and dino oil just gets too thick. Many of us use synthetic as it flows more freely at -10, -20, -30 or colder than does dino oil. It's all in the sound...start an engine at -30 that has dino and one that has synthetic...I'll take synthetic any day as the cold starts are heck on an engine with dino.
      2007 Aveo SVM, 5-speed manual, hatchback
      2004 Malibu Maxx
      Wasilla, Alaska

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaNorth1
      Mobil 1 or Penzoil Full Syntethic 5W30 synthetic - and before anyone critizes my choice, learn why I use it. During the winters here in Alaska, it's not unusual to see -30 or colder and dino oil just gets too thick. Many of us use synthetic as it flows more freely at -10, -20, -30 or colder than does dino oil. It's all in the sound...start an engine at -30 that has dino and one that has synthetic...I'll take synthetic any day as the cold starts are heck on an engine with dino.
      You may even benefit from a switch to Mobil1 0W-30.
      2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS sedan - 13,230 miles
      2008 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.0L V6 - 34,920 miles
      2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2L I6- 95,870 miles

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
      Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaNorth1
      You may even benefit from a switch to Mobil1 0W-30.
      Or using a block heater.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Without a doubt, the use of the block heater overnight is a given with those temps but when it sits all day at work for 9 or 10 hours with no source of AC for the block heater, that's when the synthetic really pays off. Or you take the truck to the hills with the snowmobiles and leave the truck for a couple of days...that again, is when the synthetic pays off.
      2007 Aveo SVM, 5-speed manual, hatchback
      2004 Malibu Maxx
      Wasilla, Alaska

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

i got a block heater in my car and when i tell people about it here in chicago most have no idea what that is
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

ive used mobile before and it needed to be changed def at 3k miles and it was the first time ive ever lost any oil between changes.....but with like crappy store brand oil and a thing of lucas oil additive i can go anywhere from 4k-6k miles and the oil still be good. I am at 5k miles now and the oil still looks fresh and still has the same amount....yay for the cheap stuff lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast