•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torn air intake hose on LPG-modified car. Replace or ignore?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the 2004 is cable driven, also i would agree on a CAI for that price. BUT the unfiltered air isn't as bad as un metered air. you engine isn't going to be running correctly since it does not know how much air is coming in.

the throttle body should actually be cleaner because of the hole. most of the stuff the sticks in the throttle body comes from the pcv system. IF you have an issue with needing to clean the throttle body a lot. i suggest looking into a catch can.

Bas
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      My replacement hose came in today. I got it off eBay for about €25. Installing it was a breeze: nothing unexpected, really. When I got the old hose out I saw there was a crack about halfway through on one side, and then one ripple further another crack about halfway through on the other. So it was almost completely torn in two. Yikes.

The old pipe was pretty clean on the inside, except right between the positive crankcase ventilation line and the throttle blade. There was a lot of weird black sludge there, oily with some fiber-like material in it. The throttle body was cleaner than I expected it to be, though. Still, I'm going to open that end back up over the weekend and give the throttle body a good clean.

Name:  IMG_20130724_204956.jpg
Views: 6134
Size:  288.8 KBName:  IMG_20130724_205104.jpg
Views: 2525
Size:  285.0 KBName:  IMG_20130724_205220.jpg
Views: 2973
Size:  276.5 KBName:  IMG_20130724_220804.jpg
Views: 5579
Size:  291.4 KB

Thanks
      Oh, when I took mine out to wrap it in tape, I also happened to be changing the oil. Lost one of the hose clamps. Later found it in the drainage pan of oil...

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

wHAT IS THE ELECTRICAL PLUG ON THE SIDE OF THE HOSE?

Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
      Right, that's what I feared. I'm looking at replacement hoses, but I'm running into a problem. Here's mine:

There's a.. thing connected on the left near the air filter box, and a second.. thing on top of the hose, at the other end. Now, all the replacement hoses I can find look like this:

The connector near the air filter box is there, but there isn't one at the top of the hose on the other end, like with mine. Instead, there's an extra thing near the first connector, with some sort of vertical tube sticking out of it. Can I somehow connect the hose that comes from my engine on that? Are these things even compatible?
      **** Since you posted a picture of the item I was going to ask about, figured I would ask my question here. I just washed my Aveo 2006, and was cleaning up the engine a bit, and I noticed that the hose in the picture here, has a cracking around the electrical plug that is on the hose, right next to the strut tower. What is this part? It isnt falling out, but the rubber around it is cracking, and it might fall out real soon. What is this part? Would I be saving a lot of cash by putting black electrical tape around it, to hold it in? Or is this plug a VERY important part that will make the car run like sh-t if it isnt in perfectly, so I need to buy a new hose??

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      I just washed my Aveo 2006, and was cleaning up the engine a bit, and I noticed that the hose in the picture here, has a cracking around the electrical plug that is on the hose, right next to the strut tower. What is this part?
      The electrical plug is the intake air temperature sensor. Your ECU uses the temperature of the incoming air as part of it's calculation for the correct air/fuel ratio.

I did have a rip in my ribbed section of my intake hose as well. I cut the ribbed section out with a knife and clamped in a short piece of exhaust pipe I had lying around. Free fix.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MTNG View Post
      The electrical plug is the intake air temperature sensor. Your ECU uses the temperature of the incoming air as part of it's calculation for the correct air/fuel ratio.

I did have a rip in my ribbed section of my intake hose as well. I cut the ribbed section out with a knife and clamped in a short piece of exhaust pipe I had lying around. Free fix.
      I have one of those for sale, if you like $20 includes shipping

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I live in a region that varies from moderately dusty to VERY dusty , largely depending on the season .

Unfiltered air into the engine is a killer !

God bless
      Wyr
      Last edited by WyrTwister; 01-28-2016 at 09:56 PM.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Bas View Post
      I looked into some threads and videos on cleaning the throttle body. I'm not sure if I can just open the throttle by hand or if that'll screw something up. Basically, I'm wondering if a 2004 aveo is fly by wire or if it's mechanically controlled. I think ideally I'd just take the entire throttle body off and give it a good clean, but if that's too hard/impractical/screws up the computer I suppose I'll leave it where it is and use some spray.
      04s and 05s were Mechanically controlled, 06-11 were Fly by Wire.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      boy i forgot that i ever posted this question. Guess it never broke all this time still get 19MPG...since day 1! Maybe i have a crappy sensor?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have had cars with small V-8's get 19 mpg or better !

Check for CEL codes .

Fix it , man !

God bless
      Wyr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12