•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Topline? Plastic thermostat housing??

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Question for the OP. How many miles on the car and how old? It sounds like you said 6-7 years old and you expect to get another 6-7 after a rebuild. Won't the other componants start to fail over the next 6-7 years, such as transmission, shocks, struts, ball joints, bearings and all of that other stuff on the car? As a matter of fact my most recent failure on my Aveo was my brake light switch. so although you are saving the price of a new car, you are not really getting a new car. This one might nickle and dime you after you invest all of this money, but as you have ordered the parts, it might be too late.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well, Aveojunk, does one ever really know? I mean, if you buy a new beemer, or Jag, you would expect great life for the money. You might, or might not get it. Everything else on the car is solid right now. Will I need to put struts on it at some point? Yeah. Is it possible that the transmission might go out? Well, yeah. BUT, for the money I am investing into the rebuild, I could not find a better car, with lower miles, that I would have a reasonable life expectancy from.

I just went through that little trial, looking for another car for my daughter. Settled on a 2001 Elantra. Not a bad little car. She would rather we fix her Nissan and give it back to her. I may fix it, and trade it to her for the Elantra. Her little 200SX has about 240k on it, and we wanted her in something a bit newer, AND the Nissan "died". It needs a starter, a new pair of tires, about 8 inches of fuel line, and paint on the hood.

I am taking a gamble here, that rebuilding the engine will be better than other choices. For the choice of finding another car for her, that she would feel safe driving, for under $2000... THAT is not going to happen. For the choice of buying her something newer, and taking on a car payment, we just do not want to do that right now.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you cant, my brother ruck, we replaced the rad because it was running hot, then he drove it to miami, when he got back the transmission blew, we put a transmission in, and then he went back to miami. came home, and literally 100 yd from his house on the way, he blew a head gasket.. but overall, we fixed it each time and total now with a fully rebuilt engine and lower mile tranny for less than $800.. cheaper than replacing it. And now its pretty much all new again.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hey Rabbit, might I suggest not going to Miami?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      its ok. everything is fixed now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123