•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a guide to replacing the timing belt?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      As far as this timing belt change thing. I hear that 50k is when, 60k is best and then I'm reading threads with people who have 100k plus and changing. My aveo5 just turned 50k and runs like a timex. Motor sounds great. I have no reason to believe at this point that it wont get up to 100k with any trouble. So should I change the belt beacuse people say to? Is there any warning signs at all that it needs to be changed or does it just simply give out and engine damage occurs?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I responded to another post you made in another thread, but intervals are 100k miles on the 09+ so you are fine, no reason to change it anytime soon.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I ran the stock timing belt on our aveo 100k miles and then I changed it. Maybe that wasn't a good idea, but I didn't know it needed changed so soon. Just saying...

Also, this thread is old.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      thanks the hunterroo. My dealer told me I had to have it changed out at 50k. Im at 58k now and the car seem fine. If I dont have it changed out, not real sure how that will effect my warrenty....

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kefreeman35 View Post
      thanks the hunterroo. My dealer told me I had to have it changed out at 50k. Im at 58k now and the car seem fine. If I dont have it changed out, not real sure how that will effect my warrenty....
      100,000 miles is the recommended replacement period, unless there is an issue with the belt. If your technician advises for a replacement, there may be belt wear. I encourage you to consult with your technician for additional information.

The recommended timing belt replacement information is also listed in the owner's manual on page 6-7 of the Scheduled Maintenance section.

For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...rolet-Aveo.pdf

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Louis (temporarily in for Vanessa)
      GM Customer Service

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Louis, does gm replace the timing belt for free (under 100k power train) if it is worn before the 100k maintenance interval?

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Louis, does gm replace the timing belt for free (under 100k power train) if it is worn before the 100k maintenance interval?
      petrified.rabbit,
      Here is a little bit more information on what is covered and excluded from the Powertrain Warranty. For more detailed information, I would recommend speaking with the Service Advisor at your dealership. I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to PM with any additional questions, comment or concerns.

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded are engine oil cooling hoses and radiators.

Vanessa,
      GM Customer Service

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      petrified.rabbit,
      Here is a little bit more information on what is covered and excluded from the Powertrain Warranty. For more detailed information, I would recommend speaking with the Service Advisor at your dealership. I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to PM with any additional questions, comment or concerns.

Engine Coverage Includes: All internally lubricated parts, the entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors and return line). Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (i.e.: Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold, etc.) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module, module programming, cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, starter motor, turbocharger and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, fans, coolant and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded are engine oil cooling hoses and radiators.

Vanessa,
      GM Customer Service
      well that clearly answered rabbits question

Thanks

do you know the procedure for adjustment for 2009 and later ?

[QUOTE=gonezythr;150616]
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      There is no lash to adjust as the valves have auto adjusters.

The 2009 and later have adjustable valves, though

I would appreciate if you could post it..what the lash should be and the how to...thanks

Thanks
      [QUOTE=HeavyDuty;164950]
      Quote Originally Posted by gonezythr View Post

I would appreciate if you could post it..what the lash should be and the how to...thanks
      I asked our dealer for a copy of the GM Document 2076951 which shows the procedure for camshaft lash adjustment for the 2009 model year, I am not sure how many years forward it covers though. They provided it to me no questions asked. It's a copyrighted document so I can't post it here, but you at least know where you can find it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12