•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swaps that will work?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Swaps that will work?

I have a 2004 Aveo 1.6 auto and I was wondering what engines would swap directly over or with as little mods as possible. Preferably turbo. I know there are a few but these family 1 and family 2 stuff confuse me. And help would be greatly appreciated.

Still love my daily driver classic67's Avatar
      Thanks
      Are you looking to keep the automatic? Is so I dont know but popular swaps are lsj cobalt a few deawoo lanos engines.

I'll keep it and add a turbo festersays's Avatar
      Thanks
      You won't swap anything turbo into this car without a hell of alot of mods and without having the car off the road for a month minimum. Like classic said someone swapped a LSJ motor into an aveo (there's an extensive build thread if you search). There's alot of work time and funds that would have to go into it, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you're serious about it.

Good luck!

Thanks
      the 2.0 turbo from the HHR came with an auto, and there is a company that makes the motor mounts for the 2.0 SC swap

Thanks
      Well, you guys crushed my hopes lol and yes I wanted to keep the automatic...

I actually don't own a Aveo but my girlfriend does and I end up driving it and doing mods to it so I figured maybe I could find a turbo engine that bolts up to the mounting points since there aren't any kits :/

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the 1.4t out of a cruze or sonic. Also available with a automatic.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      the 1.4t out of a cruze or sonic. Also available with a automatic.
      But will it just swap over? Same mounts and everything?? Will I also need to switch Trannys or..?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      From my understanding, yes. But NO swap is 100% drop in, You might need to use the aveo mounts on the engine.

BASICALLY Speaking, the 1.8 in the cruze and sonic is the exact same black as the 1.6 used in the 09+ aveo. The wiring and management is pretty much identical between the 1.8 and the 1.6 as well. If you had an 09+ you could put a 1.8 in there just as the long block, and it will run. Now the the 1.4t will fit because it bolts up to the same transmissions, it and it goes into the same spot as the 1.8. SO whatever changes chevy made to make it work in the spot the 1.8 goes in, will be necessary for the aveo to swap in. You have a 2004, so you are going to additionally need the harnesses. Gas pedal, or a throttle body conversion which i do not believe is made specifically for an aveo. I could run through all the details. But if I need to explain it step by step, then i can assume you personally have never done a swap, and will be paying someone else.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      From my understanding, yes. But NO swap is 100% drop in, You might need to use the aveo mounts on the engine.

BASICALLY Speaking, the 1.8 in the cruze and sonic is the exact same black as the 1.6 used in the 09+ aveo. The wiring and management is pretty much identical between the 1.8 and the 1.6 as well. If you had an 09+ you could put a 1.8 in there just as the long block, and it will run. Now the the 1.4t will fit because it bolts up to the same transmissions, it and it goes into the same spot as the 1.8. SO whatever changes chevy made to make it work in the spot the 1.8 goes in, will be necessary for the aveo to swap in. You have a 2004, so you are going to additionally need the harnesses. Gas pedal, or a throttle body conversion which i do not believe is made specifically for an aveo. I could run through all the details. But if I need to explain it step by step, then i can assume you personally have never done a swap, and will be paying someone else.
      Do you know the engine code name for the 1.4t?? And according to what you just said it looks like the 1.4 turbo will fit just fine. But the harness will be different??

Thanks
      I have a 2006 Aveo-LS, four door, five speed...what would work for an engine swap in this type of Aveo? I'm probably leaving all of the work to a pro which will cost me, but I just need ideas. Preferably looking for something with a timing chain vs the belt without the zero-tolerance issue.

My engine has given me nothing but fits after the idler seized last October which threw my timing belt off wrecking the engine. Luckily it was under warranty, but the dealership did a shotty job on the repair. I had a slew of coolant problems since and now I have a giant puddle of oil on the passenger front wheel side of the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast