•  
    Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: So who is running a turbo on their aveo's here?

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      got a cost on that stuff if you don't mind?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      USAFzac so you did buy that turbo? did it bolt up to the stock manifold?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BoomersAveo View Post
      Exist3nce Great info. thanks for all that. Were can I see the whole build?
      Did you need to run bigger injectors?
      Camppaint0707 yes that 1544 is oil cooled only. wouldn't be very hard to get that all together.
      You are welcome..

The build thread is over on Daewootech here:
      DaewootechForum.com • View topic - Turbo Optra - Plans for the winter?

As for the injectors... you will need more fuel delivered - one way or another. In my setup, I tried running bigger injectors at the beginning (32lb I believe), but the Emanage blue wasn't capable of scaling them back properly thus leading to running overly rich when I didn't want to and the stock ECU throwing codes. It would work fine at full throttle but couldn't be considered a refined daily driveable setup. That is not to say you can't put bigger injectors and scale them properly with a piggyback as that's what they are meant to do. Just in this case it was too much and exceeded the system's correction ability.

I then converted to a different setup which worked ALOT better for me. I put back the 4 stock injectors and used 2 of the 32lb injectors welded right on the charge pipe just before the throttle body with a custom mini fuel rail. In this configuration, the stock ECU is still running the engine and the emanage is ONLY adding fuel as required via its dedicated 2 additional injectors and also by adding duty cycle to the stock injectors as needed. I can literally unplug my emanage from the harness and the car still runs perfectly - just that I can't go into boost as there won't be any additional fuel.

This setup allows for several advantages:
      • The car starts up and idles in all weather conditions just like stock - no tuning required here
      • Driving around when not in boost (cruising and light load) is just like stock - no tuning required here
      • When I'm not beating on it, fuel economy is just like stock
      • Very reliable

And the main disadvantages:

• Limited control of fuel and no control of ignition timing (emanage not compatible with my ignition)
      • Because of above point, a relatively modest limit to the amount of power/boost the setup can handle

Additional injectors built to be welded onto charge pipe:

Injectors placed with stealth in mind :

Adjusting jumpers in the Emanage to allow for the additional injectors:

There were a few other components required to make this work such as a boost activated O2 simulator for the PRIMARY O2 sensor. It's function is to feed the stock ECU a fake stoichiometric (~14.5 AFR) O2 signal as soon as it sees boost, while letting the real O2 signal pass through it during all other conditions. This was needed because as soon as the ECU (via the O2 sensor) saw rich AFRs while going into boost it would immediately try to lean the mixture back out to ~14.5 - which is unacceptable for boost. However, you still want closed loop O2 functionality when not in boost.

Also we needed a way to prevent the stock MAP sensor on the car from seeing boost (the ECU would freak out) while at the same time letting the emanage read boost to add the corresponding fuel. This was accomplished with a check valve system on the stock MAP sensor, and a dedicated Greddy MAP sensor for the emanage.

Overall it was a trial and error process to come up with that setup - but it worked and has been working for 7 years LOL. That doesn't necessarily mean you can replicate it on a newer Aveo especially if it has electronic throttle and MAF sensor instead of MAP sensor.

Anyways after 7 years, I'm ready to change the setup and as I mentioned I will be going full standalone with Haltech Sprint 500. The emanage was great for what it did, but I want finer control over the tuning and the ability to run bigger injectors and different ignition setup with stronger coils.
      2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - CCHT P&P - F28 6spd - KW V3 - FX35 Retrofit
      2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit

Thanks
      that seems like way extra work, wouldn't it be easier to use a different tuning option?

Thanks
      edit, i see you said you are upgrading to a haltech sprint 500. Probably what I'm going to use too.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
      that seems like way extra work, wouldn't it be easier to use a different tuning option?
      And what makes you think there was any easier / better tuning option back in 2006? Especially to retain stock driveability and reliability.

Standalones will give you full control yes. But if you go that route you will see there are other things that will get sacrificed. Standalone will never drive 100% like stock... there will always be some quirks.
      2004 Optra/Forenza/Lacetti - 225whp - Haltech Sprint500 - CT12B - CCHT P&P - F28 6spd - KW V3 - FX35 Retrofit
      2002 IS300 5MT - 615whp - AEM EMS - GT4088R - Built 9.5CR - R154 - TRD LSD - SupraTT T/B - Varex - LS430 Retrofit

Thanks
      I meant extra work with regards to the fuel injection setup with welding in extra injectors etc. What do you mean quirks?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011